Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting Population  (Read 1035 times)

tase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limiting Population
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:08:01 am »

I'm trying to limit my population to 20 to start out small, but even when I set the [POPULATION_CAP:20] I still get migration waves putting my population above 20 (right now just got a 5th wave bringing it up to 27).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting Population
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:21:54 am »

As long as the popcap is below 20 when springtime comes you'll get a full migration, if you keep it at 20 migrations will then stop, although pregnant dwarfs will still give birth, no more pregnancies will occur.
*Hugs*

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:07:53 am »

As long as the popcap is below 20 when springtime comes you'll get a full migration, if you keep it at 20 migrations will then stop, although pregnant dwarfs will still give birth, no more pregnancies will occur.

If you are at, or over, the population cap, then no new migrant waves will arrive, and no dwarves will get pregnant. However, existing pregnant dwarves can still give birth.

If you are just slightly below the population cap, then you can still get a huge migrant wave pushing you way over it.

no, you sill still get babbies even if your pop cap is 0. You need to lower the baby/child cap
Code: [Select]
This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

I'm just quoting myself, here, please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not

tase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »

Yea I've set the [BABY_CHILD_CAP:10:1000] before starting this game too.

But if it was just as you said, and the immigration doesn't get smaller (since I was actually at 18+2kids) to reach the population limit, then the migration waves should stop now right?

EDIT: Just got an other wave, went from 27 to 34 now. Does the population cap even matter? Whats the problem?

EDIT 2: Just noticed I posted this in the Adventurer Section...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:24:19 pm by tase »