Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No aquifer  (Read 3109 times)

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No aquifer
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:46:31 am »

Can anyone give me a quick way to either disable or greatly reduce aquifers in worldgen?

I have been searching all over threads and wikis. I see that people are doing it, but they don't say how.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: No aquifer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:00 am »

Go into the raw/objects folder and find inorganic_stone_soil.txt

In this file, remove most or all [AQUIFER] tags from the various soils. (Removing them all will get you a world with no aquifers at all)

EDIT: Oh wait, there's some more sneaky [AQUIFER] tags in inorganic_stone_layer as well, you'll need to get rid of those as well for an aquiferless world
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:53:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:59 am »

Thanks. I guess the problem was that I was looking for a worldgen solution...

Edit:

Okay, that kind of broke some stuff. Now, all my embark spots just say "Rock" for the top layers, and for lower layers, it lists the names of ores. Not sure what I did wrong...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:09:14 am by penco »

Dialock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »

Or get the awesom lazy newb pack.  Has a button just for that.  Just need a new world gen'd and fun!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »

Thanks. I guess the problem was that I was looking for a worldgen solution...

Edit:

Okay, that kind of broke some stuff. Now, all my embark spots just say "Rock" for the top layers, and for lower layers, it lists the names of ores. Not sure what I did wrong...

All you SHOULD have done is open those files in notepad or something and did a find/replace on [AQUIFER] and either replaced it with nothing or something like *aquifer*.  So what exactly DID you do?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:12 pm »

That's exactly what I did.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:44:23 pm »

I've had the same thing happen to me before too, not sure what caused it though...
Although it was pretty cool how confused the game was while trying to render the rock walls and floors though, the floors would be shifting what rock they were rendered as about every millisecond.
I'd suggest getting some new raw files for the stone and soil and trying again, but do it carefully and don't just hit replace all, you never know what just replacing things will do in code.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »

There's not much to worry about in replacing the code in this case, the only instances of [AQUIFER] are the ones you want to remove. I'd suggest downloading the raws again (as Rentorian stated) by re-downloading the game; after that, just open the inorganic_stone_soil.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_layer.txt, find all instances of [AQUIFER], and delete them.

You may also want to make a copy of the unmodified file in case something messes up again (ex: copy inorganic_stone_soil.txt and rename the copy to inorganic_stone_soil.txt.bak).

Edit: Also, since you looked all over for this and couldn't find it, I'm assuming you don't know about the Dwarf Fortress Wiki. Lots of useful information in there, including how to do this mod (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Aquifer - scroll down to "The modding method"); totally worth checking the site out if you haven't yet.

Edit-Edit: Unintentionally came off like a !!prick!! in my original wording, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:04:03 pm by Barrow »

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:44:25 am »

Thanks for the tips. However, I'm not a total noob, and I did in the first place make a backup of the data files (which I promptly restored after the glitching), and I did check the wiki (which I read obsessively), and the only tip it had for disabling aquifers was removing the RAW tags, which is what caused the bug in the first place. What I was looking for mainly was a way to change worldgen parameters to make the occurrence of aquifers very low or even none, not necessarily disabling aquifers from the game code. I was hoping I could change something like the drainage mesh size, but nothing seemed to work.

Oh well, I just genned about 25 worlds and finally found a mostly suitable location. Since no one else seems to notice bugs with the RAW replacement method, I guess I will give it another shot.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

I guess you could try changing the Variation of everything to some ludicrously high number (I think 1000 is the highest?). This will give you a ludicrously fractious landscape where half the sites are made up of 5 different biomes, so if you get an aquifer, it should be limited to only a couple of those biomes and you can dig around it.

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:11:37 am »

I've already removed [aquifer] from my raws and don't have a problem. Everything else should be vanilla (files did come from Mayday's graphical pack, though).

Just extract these files into your raw folder and you should be good to go.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wo7oi9ri1591rd1

[for future reference, this is for version 0.31.18]

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »

Woodenchanowit, it worked! Thanks.