Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting on an island with no other civs?  (Read 2173 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting on an island with no other civs?
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

Yes hello, Im new to Dwarf fortress Mode. Reacently my newest fortress has decided to embark on a small island with a stream and no aquafir!, Yet When I cheaked there were no other civs near it (Besides Dwarfs) So my question is will I get no goblin ambushs?, Or do those happen regardless of any civs near us?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting on an island with no other civs?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:44:15 pm »

You won't have visits from any civilizations other than your own. There will be no Goblin invasions or ambushes.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

So the only Fun I will get is from forgotten beasts?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »

So the only Fun I will get is from forgotten beasts?

Not the only fun.

You're new to dwarf fortress, so just dig deeper.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:43:33 pm »

You know about FBs but not the rest of the underground?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »

The only other things I know of are What are in the RAW's, And Magma.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »

i am noob and what are boats?

but yeah no FUN. it gets boring after a while.
LOSING IS FUN!

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:48:01 pm »

If you're lucky some (semi)megabeasts will visit you.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:12 pm »

Very thorough. :P I don't know what sort of impression you'd get from looking at the raws before seeing the underground for yourself, but the raws cover everything you need to know.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 01:23:51 am »

This reminds me. Someone mentioned starting on a isle that was within site (large embark) of the mainland. If they build a bridge to the mainland and then reclaim, will you then get trade? I haven't been able to test it out because I can never get a island set-up like that in worldgen. Has anyone ever tried it?
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 01:39:54 am »

Very thorough. :P I don't know what sort of impression you'd get from looking at the raws before seeing the underground for yourself, but the raws cover everything you need to know.

A Hell hole fileld to the brim with doom.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:35 am »

A Hell hole fileld to the brim with doom.

That's the third cavern.  If you dig past it, you'll reach the magma sea, and it will have adamanitite in it.  Adamantite is the beste metal in the game, and it grows in huge clusters.  What you should do is pretty much stripmine it as soon as you see it, especialy since even unskilled miners will always get an adamantie ore out of it.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:43:10 am »

In other news the second artifact of the fort has been made! The first was some maple earing but look what wothless peice of crap someone decided to make! At least he was in fey and my carpenter :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

6000 Dwarf Bucks

The Earing was worth 9000 :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:55:51 am by Javarock »

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:27:36 am »

Started my first 0.31.x fortress, Laboredholy, on an island with no other civs (although the civ I was a part of was actually on the island as well, so there were no *Dwarven Boats* to be seen). I was expecting goblins to turn up, but never got any, along with a lack of elves and humans. To date it's also been my most successful fortress, and I think it was a good practice run for later efforts. I still got more than enough forgotten beasts to keep anyone (un)happy. I got to practice all sorts of things like the construction of pumpstacks (I had a seriously imperfect design the first time around - I got it all ironed out, though, and it created a magma pump stack that brought precious, precious magma all the way to the bottom of the first cavern layer. It was a wonderful thing.

It certainly got me into the swing of things when I had to take control of the absolute clusterfuck that was Battlefailed :D