Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Woah.... I think I went too far.  (Read 21232 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woah.... I think I went too far.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 07:38:30 pm »

The worst I've done (and do regularly) is butchering any male animal to prevent overpopulation.

So, androphobic genocide. Pretty mundane, I guess.

If goblins don't think you fort is hell, then your imagination is dead.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »

The goblins probably think my fortress the most boring place on earth, considering I lock them out and ignore them everytime they visit me.

Little they know about my multiple story tall underground tower made from solid gold, and all the gems I keep counting day after day.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »

Well, I haven't done anything too evil, I think. I just ... don't care anymore about those nameless immigrants. Loss of 1 notable dwarf (like one of the starting seven, who became a countess, or a good crafter) is a bad thing. Loosing 15 recruits to a siege is just a lot of cleanup. I also chain dogs to the entrance to slow down goblins. After another siege I decided to dig out a necropolis, and build a lot of coffins set to burial. This should take care of the problem. I'll also drop my civilian defense program with everyone having a wooden crossbow, but not enough bolts, and no good skills. Professional army and a danger room will be the way to go from now on. Oh, and lots of weapon traps. In my case it is rather incompetence and general not caring than cruelty that kills my dwarfs.

Come to think of it, I'll have to do something with those damn goblins and trolls in cages.  >:(

Oh, I just remembered, I'm using the "automated cat rover" method to scout the caverns. I ordered 2 screens of animals to be dumped into caverns from 1 z-level drop, including 2 litters of kittens. I didn't stop when some FB entered the caverns, but considered it a good thing, since it will scare away those animals, and help them scout for me. Well, it works to some degree, but a lot of these animals died. At least they are not my dwarfs, and it was probably worth it.

I also don't care much, when some patients die of starvation / dehydration. It keeps the beds free. At least I don't murder them on purpose.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:31:13 pm »

There was a succession fort a while ago. I dug out a room, filled it with levers (561, if my math is right), hooked all of them to an atomsmasher in the entrance, and restricted every dwarf except mine to a burrow under the raised bridge.

I then, at the very end of my turn, ordered every single lever to be pulled. My dwarf was one tile away from the lever he chose to pull when I zipped up the save for the next player.

This fort had about 110 dwarves, and when I tested my handiwork, the only survivors were myself, the cripples in the hospital (who couldn't get to the killzone), some noble who I forget (was locked in his/her room), and the one farmer who ignored burrow restrictions to get a drink.

My avatar is well-deserved, I think.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »

I have a 10 z level fall that ends in a steel spear for all goblins. Other then that there is dropping 100+ animals into the magma, and accidentally knocking the clothier in, too. Then there are the sweatshops I make people work in, and then 6 people I killed tearing an iron tower down in Halltraded, and the time I ... Shit, eh?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »

Got a novice fishdissecter in the desert, was super quick to tire and ate, slept, or drank 90% of the time, so I told him to mine a channel 2 levels deep, making him dig his own grave.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 08:46:19 pm »

*sees title* *barges in hammer/magma torch blazing*
Ohh.. So you don't regret it much..... AAAWWW! *drops weapons*

Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have socks.

I think this would be more accurate for my case.

Also I'm planning to have "suburbs," small little burrows/hobo camps scattered around once my fortress hits a good pop..

I'm planning on turning loose one dwarf, with an axe, into my walled off caverns. If he survives a year, he becomes my new Dungeon Master. Other perks depending on performance.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:36 pm »

I fully support dwarven hobo camps.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »

For most of my fortresses I killed off all males in one of many death chambers, one time, I accidentally knocked a cat into it. I was so pissed.
*Hugs*

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »

For most of my fortresses I killed off all males in one of many death chambers, one time, I accidentally knocked a cat into it. I was so pissed.

That is genuinely disturbing. I mean you spare the cats?

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:59 pm »

Well one time i a fort of 120 dwarfs. There were so many it took to long to calculate what was going on with everyone. So i just left them there and ran away. Took me many weeks to recover.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:30 pm »

Sometimes I intentionally kill my dwarves. I do worse still but... :-X

It's not even DF's fault either.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:20 am »

I dropped one eight z-levels from a retractable bridge onto a series of spear weapon traps. I swear I could hear him twitching. D:

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 01:05:43 am »

I regularly cull immigrants that have little or no practical use (Potash maker? TO THE MAGMA SEA!). Oftentimes, though, I find that just magma dumping is too boring. I'll expose them to FB dust, drown them, burn them (with fire, not magma) drop them, crush them, starve/dehydrate them, or in extra special forts, all of the above. At the same time. I feel no regret for these actions.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 01:46:16 am »

Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

I like this. Sounds like a good signature.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9