Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Woah.... I think I went too far.  (Read 22341 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Woah.... I think I went too far.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 01:52:34 am »

For every sig I penetrate, I become even stronger!
*Insert Evil Laugh of Choice Here*

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 04:00:37 am »

Hmm... perhaps my "solution" to the tantrum spiral that threatened to bring my glorious project to an eternal halt gave me a moment of pause while I considered the ramifications of sealing over half the population (the ones that were angry as hell and constantly knocking shit over) into a large stone room and set them to smoothing and engraving all the walls, except for one which got fortifications instead so that the volcano could claim the pissy little bastards...

But it worked, so can't complain; all but 5 dwarves are ecstatic now.

Perhaps when I retooled my dragon defence corridor into the merchant meeting hall, and set it loose on elves, humans, and citizens alike?

Nah, that was hilarious. And I learned that "magma safe" does not mean "dragonfire safe".
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 06:26:38 am »

I once played a game where my fortress was next to a volcano, except the volcano had no magma in it.  So, it was effectively a hundred or so z-level shaft of empty space down to the magma sea.  At the top of the shaft was the entrance to my base, which was two drawbridges over the chasm.  I like to think that traders would get woozy looking down (I also had my trade depot suspended over the magma sea down near the fortress proper, so all trading would be done next to a couple z-level fall into magma), and that when goblins and trolls and other various monstrosities rushed over the drawbridges that were inevitably raised as they charged, they would scream the entire way down, through the caverns where my dwarves worked, and past the forges.  To give you an idea of how long they fell, it took about 20 frames for them to go from top to bottom.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 07:02:03 am »

Hmm, I actually haven't had any attack of conscience when I chained kittens to strategic entryways as sentries, guaranteed to die when they alert the fort to the presence of ambushers. The main "omg that's hideous... and AWESOME" thing that comes to mind for me is the mermaid bone production factory.
Hey, that's what I did just a few minutes ago. A stray kitten is after all less useful than a war dog, but as a sentry it's better to use a kitten. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 07:04:29 am »

I usually use the surviving men for that. After they've had their arms and legs broken, of course.
*Hugs*

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:52 am »

There was a succession fort a while ago. I dug out a room, filled it with levers (561, if my math is right), hooked all of them to an atomsmasher in the entrance, and restricted every dwarf except mine to a burrow under the raised bridge.

I then, at the very end of my turn, ordered every single lever to be pulled. My dwarf was one tile away from the lever he chose to pull when I zipped up the save for the next player.

This fort had about 110 dwarves, and when I tested my handiwork, the only survivors were myself, the cripples in the hospital (who couldn't get to the killzone), some noble who I forget (was locked in his/her room), and the one farmer who ignored burrow restrictions to get a drink.

My avatar is well-deserved, I think.

That is meta cruelty. Really, all you are is a pathetic griefer.
It would be one thing if it were your fort, but that was a succession game. Do you feel big and sexy for ruining other people's fun? Makes you feel potent and sharp, huh?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 08:57:21 am »

Not really, I told the next guy how to stop it.

I still went too far.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:59 am »

There was a succession fort a while ago. I dug out a room, filled it with levers (561, if my math is right), hooked all of them to an atomsmasher in the entrance, and restricted every dwarf except mine to a burrow under the raised bridge.

I then, at the very end of my turn, ordered every single lever to be pulled. My dwarf was one tile away from the lever he chose to pull when I zipped up the save for the next player.

This fort had about 110 dwarves, and when I tested my handiwork, the only survivors were myself, the cripples in the hospital (who couldn't get to the killzone), some noble who I forget (was locked in his/her room), and the one farmer who ignored burrow restrictions to get a drink.

My avatar is well-deserved, I think.

That is meta cruelty. Really, all you are is a pathetic griefer.
It would be one thing if it were your fort, but that was a succession game. Do you feel big and sexy for ruining other people's fun? Makes you feel potent and sharp, huh?
As in most succession forts, you can always grab the prior save from the previous guy.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:31 am »

"Some migrants have arrived"

Oh great, more cheesemakers to drink all my booz and eat all my food.

"The ettin Bargle Fargle Margle has arrived"

Hmmm, a solution perhaps?

Raise the drawbridges.  Create a new squad of untrained wrestlers from the fresh migrants.  Attack the ettin.

Oh dear.

Untrained wrestlers aren't what they once were......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27:07 am »

Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Thank you.  New sig...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 02:43:56 pm »

Well....random murders, cat genocide, animal culling pits, insane merchants used to guard the fortress, ridiculous cave in traps that screw everyone, sending useless dwarves to have fun time with forgotten beasts and occasionally flooding the fortress... It's not that bad in comparison to the average player, heck the only thing I could considered for being to violent in is trader abuse, but that's completely fine. 
Blargh.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 03:54:20 pm »

i have a suggestion:

turn the justice system were the dwarfs chained into a gladitorial arena. arm your dorf criminal with an axe, chain him to the floor, and release an unarmed golbin hord of prisoners into the room etc depending on the crime. if he wins, he is now a usefull member of dwarven society. if he loses. he dies. end of problem.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 04:28:36 pm »

That they will never wear or PUT AWAY!
fix'd
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 04:53:01 pm »

That they will never wear or PUT AWAY!
fix'd

Nonsense, they'll happily go to put away stray socks as long as they're idle.  Such as, for example, in the middle of a siege.  At which point they'll remember that Goblin's left sock they called dibs on last siege and happily parade out into the crossfire to grab.  And promptly be pincushioned by 20 Goblin bowmen.
Sanity is for the weak.

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 04:55:50 pm »

For every sig I penetrate, I become even stronger!

:o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9