Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Woah.... I think I went too far.  (Read 22419 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woah.... I think I went too far.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »

For most of my fortresses I killed off all males in one of many death chambers, one time, I accidentally knocked a cat into it. I was so pissed.

Uuuuuhh.... Why?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »

Goblin siege, human siege, skeletal whales, and a limitless volcano of magma.

Much land was reclaimed from the sea that day.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Nex Anima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 07:40:59 pm »

Don't think I went far enough "yet". I started disciplining my naughty dwarves by sending them deep into an abandoned mine. After enough have gathered I send one of their loved ones to pull a lever, which seals the shaft, while at the same time opens the entrance to my giant pit. By giant pit, I should note, is a pit which holds my giant.

Should one ever defeat the giant, he/she will be recognized as rehabilitated and shall be allowed back into the fortress. I doubt this will happen as the last dwarf took a year to die because the giant decided to just spend the entire time strangling him, before getting bored and ripping his cheek off.

By making the family pull the lever, I feel sends a strong message that each dwarf is responsible for the next. Which I would hope deters further bad behavior.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 08:16:19 pm »

Don't think I went far enough "yet". I started disciplining my naughty dwarves by sending them deep into an abandoned mine. After enough have gathered I send one of their loved ones to pull a lever, which seals the shaft, while at the same time opens the entrance to my giant pit. By giant pit, I should note, is a pit which holds my giant.

Should one ever defeat the giant, he/she will be recognized as rehabilitated and shall be allowed back into the fortress. I doubt this will happen as the last dwarf took a year to die because the giant decided to just spend the entire time strangling him, before getting bored and ripping his cheek off.

By making the family pull the lever, I feel sends a strong message that each dwarf is responsible for the next. Which I would hope deters further bad behavior.

Except the dwarves only concept of family is "Can I screw it".
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »

I had a fortress once with a populace divided into "scum" and useful dwarves. The scum had to live in misery, doing farming and such, while the useful dwarves lived in a luxury tower, overseeing the scum. Needless to say the tantrum spirals were frequent.

Another time I modded all male dwarves to be butcherable and non-intelligent, and removed all clothing from dwarves in the entity txt. Soon all dwarves feasted on dwarf flesh and wore nothing but dwarf leather.

I used to have a room were every square had a single menacing spike. I let migrants in, locked them up, and had the lever pulled on repeat. They died slowly, suffocating from punctured lungs, bloodloss etc.

I used to atom smash migrants but right now I'm trying to get used to larger fortresses. I keep all dwarves ecstatic and protect them as best as I can.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 01:06:52 am »

kitten butchery, puppies as gate guards and scouts, sending permanent invalids to a special collapsible hospital, locking permanent invalids in their individual hospital rooms to starve them.  trading stuff to elves then locking them in and slowly picking them off with marksdwarves.  Assigning dwarves with cats to the danger room, or assigning those dwarves directly under a drawbridge to free up the cats for butchering.  i've probably done worse too.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 02:19:08 am »

Yeah, I have. As mentioned in another thread... I made a working gas chamber to kill prisoners that is activated by feeding puppy-dogs to a forgotten beast.

Nobody really comments on it when I bring it up, but I think it's horrible. Gas chambers are pretty evil already, but this one is actually powered by killing puppies. Honestly I think it's almost on par with that thread about killing merpeople for their bones. But yet... it's so useful! Once the puppy is dead, no more gas is produced so I can just go in and scavenge the bodies. And it kills all the prisoners so effortlessly and en-masse too. I always make one in my forts now.

I have created Dwarfschwitz.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:25 am »

I have created Dwarfschwitz.

I want one.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:12 am »

I believe I've found my new mandeath chamber.
*Hugs*

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2011, 10:25:15 am »

I remember my first time I ever used a volcano. I was stuffing puppies and kittens into a cage, reasoning I'd deal with them later.

When I finally got to it, however, there were far too many. My butchers and food stores were overwhelmed, and my craftsdwarfs and tanners were doing double shifts. I realised that I was slowly reaching a Shoe Event Horizon (if you know what that is, kudos to you!) Then I just started throwing them in the volcano.

What really got to me is that they didn't die right away. They just sank, and then everything started melting off them...
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 12:54:00 pm »

I once played a game where my fortress was next to a volcano, except the volcano had no magma in it.  So, it was effectively a hundred or so z-level shaft of empty space down to the magma sea.  At the top of the shaft was the entrance to my base, which was two drawbridges over the chasm.  I like to think that traders would get woozy looking down (I also had my trade depot suspended over the magma sea down near the fortress proper, so all trading would be done next to a couple z-level fall into magma), and that when goblins and trolls and other various monstrosities rushed over the drawbridges that were inevitably raised as they charged, they would scream the entire way down, through the caverns where my dwarves worked, and past the forges.  To give you an idea of how long they fell, it took about 20 frames for them to go from top to bottom.

So instead of a waterfall, your fort came with a Goblinfall?  I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a catchment and an array of pumps to pump them back through again.  Maybe a pit at the bottom, with a flight up stairs leading up to a bridge that "ajoins" your fort, with a couple rows of resetting pitfall traps that drop them back into the catchment.  The only problem I can see if tuning the goblin attrition rate, such that you don't run out of Goblins before the next raid comes, but you don't also find yourself overflowing in goblins either.  Collecting the goblinite at the bottom may be a bit tricky as well.  Perhaps an off switch of extending spikes at the bottom, to temporarily halt the flow.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 02:06:07 pm »

I currently feel vaguely guilty about sticking my fort's entire population of puppies in a single cage. It must be a pretty big cage, given that it accommodated a full-grown bull all the way from the nearest elven forest retreat, but it's still not an ideal environment for all eight of them.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 02:13:29 pm »

Those cages can hold a giant with no problems. Eight puppies is nothing.
くコ:彡

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:40 pm »

Those cages can hold eight giants with now problems... and a bull... and several donkeys... and hundred puppies atop of that, so yours were in royal palace.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 02:41:32 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Our cages are the size of Texas!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9