Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Woah.... I think I went too far.  (Read 21231 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Woah.... I think I went too far.
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »

Well Bay 12, it seems I have finally reached the Moral Event Horizon in DF, if such a thing exists. Now before I tell you what I did, I will tell you the two problems my fortress had, namely babies and beasts. While contemplating how to stop another disasterous incursion from the deep like last time, it hit me. The Babies! So I decided that any dwarven children would be deposited in a "nursery" in the caverns, for the sole purpose of slowing down a FB by distracting it long enough for the military to get in position. Now it WOULD have worked, had I remembered to feed them....  :'( But as I looked at all the rotting corpses of children I couldnt help but think one thought quietly to myself.

Meh... It was worth it.

So has anyone else done some sort of cruelty in Fort Mode that has made them stop for a breif moment before deciding "Imma do it anyways!"

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woah.... I think I went too far.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:04:55 pm »

Two words.

Puppy daycare.

I had a puppy overpopulation and lots of magma. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:11:43 pm »

Two words.

Puppy daycare.

I had a puppy overpopulation and lots of magma. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Oh my god, is the magma OK!?

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:14:40 pm »

After realizing that I had about 30 children in a fort of a little over 80, I figured it was time for a gladiatorial event! So, on a quest to reduce needless population, I gave all the fort's children a chance to prove their worth against an ogre. The surviving ones would be elevated to true citizens of worth!

They all died of thirst, running away from the ogre, which was running away from them. But, in the end, and after a dozen beatings to improve the parents' morale, I figured I accomplished what I was going for. Hmmm.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »

Hmm, I actually haven't had any attack of conscience when I chained kittens to strategic entryways as sentries, guaranteed to die when they alert the fort to the presence of ambushers. The main "omg that's hideous... and AWESOME" thing that comes to mind for me is the mermaid bone production factory.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

Killing cripples by locking the hospital always makes me stop for a moment. Then I decide unleashing hostiles on them is more humane. Then they get up, beat the shit out of them because they're still part of the army, and go back to being vegetables...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:43:23 pm »

I don't think anything I've ever done has made me hesitate.
Lock people outside for the good of the rest of the fort?
Go ahead.
Sacrifice useless dwarves, prisoners, and cats to the volcano?
I'll make an altar for the occasion.
Urist McPetlover dies?
Butcher his pets for food!
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:44 pm »

*sees title* *barges in hammer/magma torch blazing*
Ohh.. So you don't regret it much..... AAAWWW! *drops weapons*

Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have socks.

I think this would be more accurate for my case.

Also I'm planning to have "suburbs," small little burrows/hobo camps scattered around once my fortress hits a good pop..
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »

My dwarf fortress event horizon was when I constructed my first cat removal device (aka corridor o' spikes linked to lever profiled to cat owner). That was the point at which I sat back for a moment and thought to myself, "hang on a minute, is this game turning me into a monster?" I pulled it anyway of course. Screw cats, I hate them.

The only way from there is down :P Probably the worst stuff I've done is in adventurer mode, of course. Engineering mass suffering as a fortress overseer is one thing, but it's quite a different thing to tear that elf child's arm off and beat her to death with it IN PERSON.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »

I once had a soldier that I was really sick of. Utterly useless, incapable of following orders, and recently ran away from a large siege to go refill his waterskin. He was the only survivor.

So I already had an execution tower. 15z total drop. I extended it to 25z above ground, and 75z below ground, for a total 100z fall.

I made the execution platform on the top floor a retractable bridge. I ordered the military idiot to stand on it. First time he ever followed orders.

Then I pulled the lever.

Every single body part that could come off came off.
くコ:彡

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »

You guys with your complicated execution towers and magma...All I do is lock them in the atomsmasher room. End of problem. And no mess! (Well you can't see it anyway...)
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »

Mass murder of elves and goblins. The goblins charged into the traps. The lucky ones were killed instantly. A lot of them got put in cage traps and were thrown in magma. The whole scale of the slaughter is what surprised me. Nearly half of all goblins that were killed there were in that attack.

Dwarf Fortress has made me a truly terrible person. Thank you Toady.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 06:58:53 pm »

Just think, some yay-hoo is playing human sphere somewhere above us.

Half jokingly made me consider if I'm playing god and if that's a bad thing or not.

Trying to not be a cold hearted jerk adds challenge, though attempting to re-wound people to force diagnosis I am very very bad at.

I am in the process of trying to make a caterfall... into a volcano filled with magma, with spikes at the bottom.(idea stolen for the first part)

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

The worst I've done (and do regularly) is butchering any male animal to prevent overpopulation.

So, androphobic genocide. Pretty mundane, I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9