Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Favorite DF Quotes  (Read 1889 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Your Favorite DF Quotes
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:31 am »

You know what my favorite part of Dwarf Fortress is? Talking about it is just as fun as playing it. This forum (as well as other DF-related discussions) have produced thousands of memorable quotes that describe just how utterly insane this game really is. So, I'll start with one of my favorite quotes, from Headshoots:
Quote from: Zwiebel
You won't last a year. What went through the minds of your dwarfs when they stopped the cart? "Hey, I bet we can put those flaming, bony monstrosities into our still to make wicked firedemon brew"? The last fortress I started under conditions this horrible ended with the last survivor going mad after a skeletal mandrill ate his pet kitten and going on a suicide charge into zombie elefants while naked and on fire. And it wasn't even autumn yet.
That's how you know you're playin' it right.

So what are your favorite quotes? Post 'em here.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite DF Quotes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:24:16 am »

Let us be frank, gentlemen. Killer herds of undead grazing animals? Battle donkeys? Identical goblins? Dedicated necropoli? Artifice barrels? Slime lakes? Shit monsters? Forgotten beast incursions through artifact gem windows? Anti-gravity miners with fey moods?

Battlefailed is 2010's Boatmurdered.

Together, through combined effort and force of will, we have created something to compare to that cthonian abyss from which so many dwarven legends have sprung. We have forged a new level of hell.

And it's not even over yet.

Funnily enough, it ended on his turn...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:51:07 am »

I just told my mother about this fort. She got two impressions from it:

1) "That doesn't even sound salvageable."

2) "Random Primal Horrors would be a great name for a rock band."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:11 am »

We are random primal horrorsm and we're here to make you think about building forts and getting moods and stuff!!!!

Yep, it works.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »

Max. Change your bloody avatar. It's freaking me out.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »

Posting to watch and remember.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:48:55 pm »

Max. Change your bloody avatar. It's freaking me out.
Fine, I will go gen a pencil and see what I think of... I was having fun with the king of cheesy smiles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:09:24 pm »

Quote from: mariguana
OH MY GOD. Sankis is on a bloody rampage! He mauled a baby and a cow, and now, at this very instant, he's beating the Elite Marksdwarf Kadol Lokumad into paste!

DID I MENTION HE IS ON FUCKING FIRE!??
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:53:46 pm »

So good of Armok to bless us with a defensive lake of fire.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:05:14 am »

This one's great specifically from the context.
The players. The bloody players. Maternal armor: "It's been a long time now since I realized that dorfs bring their babies into battle with them. It's been a slightly shorter time since I started recruiting only female dorfs into my military, and making sure they each had enough time to mill about with male dorfs to be constantly nursing."
That's from the Dwarf Fortress Nightmare Fuel Page on TVTropes. It's the first entry. The first entry on the page isn't ASCII Gorn, kitten butchery or mermaid harvesting, it's the players themselves. Awesome.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:27 am »

For me, the best part of DF is the combat logs. These two aren't mine, but they contain an excellent example of quote-worthy material:

Don't mess with Fluffy
"The Cat bites The Goblin Thief in the head, bruising the fat through the ({silvery gibbon leather hood})!
The Cat latches on firmly to The Goblin Thief's throat!
The Cat shakes The Goblin Thief around by the throat!
The Cat shakes The Goblin Thief around by the throat!"

Urist McBadass is not amused by your mortal wound
"The Forgotten Beast kicks The Axedwarf in the head with its right rear foot, bruising the muscle and shattering the skull through the <elk bird leather hood>!
The Axedwarf stands up."
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 01:13:06 am »

I forget where exactly I saw it, but I think someone's sig was, "I play Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes, I wish I had a meth habit."  I love this quote because I have no idea why Dwarf Fort is so damn addicting. I will get bored with Dwarf Fortress, stop playing for a couple weeks, and then it is magically fun again causing me to play it nonstop for a couple weeks. A new update helps this, but isn't necessary.  No other game remains as fun as Dwarf Fortress, and I have yet to understand why (Besides the fact that Dwarf Fort is freaking awesome of course).

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:53 am »

"'Hello lady!!! I'm Sirocco! You may not know me but I have taken a great interest in your children!'

No one said anything for a moment so I raised Patsy above my head.

'I've come to hammer you and take your children as my own!' I elaborated.

'Please! Don't hurt us! she wept, holding the children close to her. 'I'll do anything you want, just leave my children alone!'

'It's alright, mother!' said marcus_cz. 'Mr Sirocco said he'd bring a flute for Leperfish to blow on!"

A classic Sirocco moment from Syrupleaf.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »

I forget where exactly I saw it, but I think someone's sig was, "I play Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes, I wish I had a meth habit."  I love this quote because I have no idea why Dwarf Fort is so damn addicting. I will get bored with Dwarf Fortress, stop playing for a couple weeks, and then it is magically fun again causing me to play it nonstop for a couple weeks. A new update helps this, but isn't necessary.  No other game remains as fun as Dwarf Fortress, and I have yet to understand why (Besides the fact that Dwarf Fort is freaking awesome of course).

I've never encountered another sandbox game that had the same charm and level of detail as DF. It's a combination of the thrill of creative design, humor and also the lack of pressure of reaching any sort of carrot-on-a-stick end goal turns the rise and fall of a fort into something enjoyable to the last moment of its existence. "Losing is Fun" is almost like that samurai motto of living like you're already dead to achieve martial focus.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:38 am »

From the wiki: "Dwarves that have been stationed for too long without food or water will occasionally eat vomit. This causes an unhappy thought"...

I just dont know what to say...!
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2