Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rate my Stupid Dwarf Trick!  (Read 1283 times)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
Rate my Stupid Dwarf Trick!
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »

Ok, so I have this idea for a fort that would look badass. I'll embark on a site that has a magma spire. I'll open up the spire at the bottom to drain it out. Then I'll make a mold inside the empty spire in the shape of my ideal fort; widening the spire where necessary. Then I'll slowly allow the spire to re-fill one z-level at a time, and mixing water to turn everything in the mold into obsidian. Once the spire is completely full, I'll then drain it again to remove the mold and carve out the fort from the mold. Once that done refill the spire again and you'll have a fort encased in magma made out of natural obsidian with only one ridiculously well guarded entrance.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
Re: Rate my Stupid Dwarf Trick!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:57:24 am »

Spire?  Is that where the game glitches out and makes things like magma pipes and adamantine veins pop out of the ground?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:20:24 am »

Ok, so I have this idea for a fort that would look badass. I'll embark on a site that has a magma spire. I'll open up the spire at the bottom to drain it out. Then I'll make a mold inside the empty spire in the shape of my ideal fort; widening the spire where necessary. Then I'll slowly allow the spire to re-fill one z-level at a time, and mixing water to turn everything in the mold into obsidian. Once the spire is completely full, I'll then drain it again to remove the mold and carve out the fort from the mold. Once that done refill the spire again and you'll have a fort encased in magma made out of natural obsidian with only one ridiculously well guarded entrance.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
See you in three years. 11 Dorfs out of ten.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:06:24 am »

Done it in the old version, but I didn't remove the mold. It was lots of fun, go for it!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5925-mysterylances
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:14:52 am by NFossil »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:53 am »

I suggest skipping the mold and just casting a giant block of obsidian, then carving out the fortress from that. Much time saved with the same result.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

jappipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:30:31 am »

Try this on a 1*1 embark

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:13:50 am »

My suggestion: Find yourself a nice volcano and build your fort in the magma pipe.  I've done this, though I made everything out of constructed metal and glass instead of using the cast obsidian method, and the whole fort wasn't in the pipe (I was lazy). While the pipe is drained, dig vents sideways to the outside of your volcano and floodgates to control them.  That way you can flood the world with magma from your pipe whenever you like as well as having a well defended fort.

Here's a link to my setup  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58221.msg1293272#msg1293272