Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves hate obsidian.  (Read 2224 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves hate obsidian.
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:00:00 am »

Elven merchants on mules arrived in my fortress, even though I didn't have any living nobles and had never gotten anyone beyond the sheriff and manager, now dead.

When I tried to trade them an obsidian short sword, though, they flipped out and exclaimed that it had once been a beautiful tree, then refused to trade with me and left...

I really don't think that it used to be a tree.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves hate obsidian.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:04:00 am »

I didn't even realize there were elven merchants...

I'm guessing obsidian is somehow classified as wood. But are these the same elves that start off with armor made from beautiful trees in Adventure mode?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:08:00 am »

Did you have *any* wood items on the trading post?  Any single thing - and probably even a bin - is enough to send em away, whether you try to trade it or not. (iirc)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:11:00 am »

Doesn't it take a log to make an obsidian sword when you build it?  It's kind of a club, with a series of sharp obsidian stones sticking out, like one of them aztec thingies.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 01:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gimlet:
<STRONG>Did you have *any* wood items on the trading post?  Any single thing - and probably even a bin - is enough to send em away, whether you try to trade it or not. (iirc)</STRONG>

I didn't (aside from the wood in the weapon, apparently), but I do hope just having a bin present isn't enough to send them away...  there's no way to take items out of a bin before they get to the depot, and your dwarves use them automatically, so that would mean that if you've ever constructed bins, ever, then you probably won't be able to trade much with the elves.

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Doesn't it take a log to make an obsidian sword when you build it?  It's kind of a club, with a series of sharp obsidian stones sticking out, like one of them aztec thingies.</STRONG>

Aaaah.  I suppose eventually, when item descriptions get elaborated on, then things like this will be more obvious.

[ August 22, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:33:00 am »

I don't think they notice the bin if you don't actually try to trade it.  I don't think they notice if the depot is wooden either.  I might change the latter, but the bins, you just kinda hide under your beards or something.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:33:00 am »

quote:
I didn't (aside from the wood in the weapon, apparently), but I do hope just having a bin present isn't enough to send them away... there's no way to take items out of a bin before they get to the depot, and your dwarves use them automatically, so that would mean that if you've ever constructed bins, ever, then you probably won't be able to trade much with the elves.

That's why there is the eize option in the trading screen..

Shouldn't elves and dwarves hate each other anyways?

[ August 22, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 04:12:00 am »

Elves claim they have a nasty history of running into dwarven floodrooms.  It's entirely bullocks.  Shameless elven prejudice.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:44:00 am »

To confirm, it takes obisdian stone and a log to make the obisdian short sword, which is why the elves are flipping out.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »

This is why I've always just given them coin in trade for their stuff. Too much trouble otherwise.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 08:49:00 pm »

I just trade everyone a whole lot of rock crafts for everything. Frees up storage space.