Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cerria; 2D Survival ORPG  (Read 12300 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cerria; 2D Survival ORPG
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 02:33:49 pm »

Isn't VB.Net the next stage of VB? And, have you tried it yet?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:54:03 pm »

Isn't VB.Net the next stage of VB? And, have you tried it yet?

I'd have to rewrite the program. And I'm very limitted in VB6, nevermind .net. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 02:55:41 pm »

That is true, however, if you're still using VB6, I'd suggest looking towards starting new projects in .NET. You might find it's quicker to write stuff with it, 'cause the .NET framework has a lot of things built into it that help speed stuff up a great deal.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 02:57:13 pm »

That is true, however, if you're still using VB6, I'd suggest looking towards starting new projects in .NET. You might find it's quicker to write stuff with it, 'cause the .NET framework has a lot of things built into it that help speed stuff up a great deal.

I'm actually learning up on Java. I don't expect to be able to write fluently till later this year, but I want to build an Engine from the ground up. As I say, this is just a subproject.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »

I'm actually learning up on Java. I don't expect to be able to write fluently till later this year, but I want to build an Engine from the ground up. As I say, this is just a subproject.

Java is a great vm and a decent language, but it has some annoying shortcomings and horrific bloat in server applications. Most of my professional work is in java, but I also use it for personal projects along with c#.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »

Java is a great vm and a decent language, but it has some annoying shortcomings and horrific bloat in server applications. Most of my professional work is in java, but I also use it for personal projects along with c#.

Java is apparently easier than C++, and a decent language for its difficulty range. Sounds a nice place to start, after learning the basics of code structure through VB6.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:18 pm »

Java is apparently easier than C++, and a decent language for its difficulty range. Sounds a nice place to start, after learning the basics of code structure through VB6.
Yeah, but C# is almost identical to Java, but C# uses .NET instead of Java, which is just Java.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »

Yeah, but C# is almost identical to Java, but C# uses .NET instead of Java, which is just Java.

No.  The advantage of c# is definitely not .NET. The .NET CLR is a poor, unoptimized, leaky creaking rustbucket compared to the mature and well tuned Java Virtual Machine. Where c# has an advantage is that it lacks most of the annoying hangups that java has and comes bundled with a free top quality IDE & WYSIWYG GUI builder in the express version of visual studio. Java comes with a free open source top quality IDE in the form of eclipse, but doesn't have a great WYSIWYG GUI builder.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 04:12:42 pm »

The netbeans GUI builder's pretty decent though.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 04:54:20 pm »

No.  The advantage of c# is definitely not .NET. The .NET CLR is a poor, unoptimized, leaky creaking rustbucket compared to the mature and well tuned Java Virtual Machine. Where c# has an advantage is that it lacks most of the annoying hangups that java has and comes bundled with a free top quality IDE & WYSIWYG GUI builder in the express version of visual studio. Java comes with a free open source top quality IDE in the form of eclipse, but doesn't have a great WYSIWYG GUI builder.
Actually, the advantage of .NET is that is saves you programming time.
I agree that it's not really that good for anything ambitious, but to be honest, if C# isn't going to do the job for me, I'd rather just stick to C++.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 06:00:44 pm »

Actually, the advantage of .NET is that is saves you programming time.
I agree that it's not really that good for anything ambitious, but to be honest, if C# isn't going to do the job for me, I'd rather just stick to C++.

C# is not .NET is not Visual Studio. Visual Studio saves programming time for conventional GUI apps by merit of having a very good built in WYSIWYG GUI editor. C# itself is only faster to develop in than java if you are trying to do something where java's design paradigms run counter to what you want.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »

If you want some help with sprites then just PM me. I'm not amazing, but I can sprite relatively well.

I am actually in need of somebody to create creature sprites. 32x64 your canvas-of-choice?

Sure, what do you need? And would you mind providing me with a sprite or two of your own so I can make it tie in with the rest of the game? Also, what poses do you want? I'm assuming that you want the four isometric facings and a walking sprite.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 06:50:43 pm »

If you want some help with sprites then just PM me. I'm not amazing, but I can sprite relatively well.

I am actually in need of somebody to create creature sprites. 32x64 your canvas-of-choice?

Sure, what do you need? And would you mind providing me with a sprite or two of your own so I can make it tie in with the rest of the game? Also, what poses do you want? I'm assuming that you want the four isometric facings and a walking sprite.

Actually, it's pretty straight forward. 3 frames, 4 directions. Left, right, up, down. Standing still, left leg forward, right leg forward. Simple walking animation. Can you add me on MSN?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »

Just a screenshot of the caves I've just made. Ignore the lack of detail everywhere else!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:24:32 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:57 pm »

C# is not .NET is not Visual Studio. Visual Studio saves programming time for conventional GUI apps by merit of having a very good built in WYSIWYG GUI editor. C# itself is only faster to develop in than java if you are trying to do something where java's design paradigms run counter to what you want.
C# is practically Java on it's par/par. I don't actually know any grammatical differences between the two.
Visual Studio does save you time, since you don't have to type out the entire names of variables, classes and all that lark.
.NET saves you time by implementing handling functions that do a lot for you.
Besides, is it even physically possible to run C# without the .NET running as well? If so, no one's ever told me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4