Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Butchering goblin partial skeletons  (Read 3200 times)

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering goblin partial skeletons
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:20 pm »

So I'm irked no end by the fact that partial skeletons from sentient races no longer rot down to bones.

Is it possible to butcher partial skeletons from non-sentients?  If so, is it possible to mod dwarves so that they find butchering sentients (or at least their skeletons) ethically acceptable?  I want my goblin totems!

I'm playing mostly vanilla 0.31.18, and have done very little modding, so it'd be great if someone could hold my hand here.

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering goblin partial skeletons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:58:34 pm »

Oh, and if said mod is possible, is it possible to apply it without world regeneration?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:07 pm »

No, you'd need a regen.

Change everything in the dwarven ethics file to Acceptable, and if you can embark with sentient meat, then return the tags to their defaults one by one until the embark options return to normal. This will apply to worldgen as well, so you'll end up with dwarves wearing batman leather clothes and such and having a taste for human meat.

Ah, never mind, can't test the embark. I do note the presence of gremlin meat though. Well, time for a test...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:27:26 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:27:49 pm »

That works, I use it on my recent fortresses. The specific tags you need are:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

I think using this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67059.0 might let you change ethics without needing to generate a new world.

Do note that with this you will have lots of cluttered butcher shops and butchers taking half a season to take apart 2 year old goblin bits. Also *kobold spleen roast*.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »

As far as I've been able to determine, World Tinker allows you to add tags to existing worlds, but not to modify them, which I assume is what I'm trying to do.

But thanks, Grimlocke, for pointing me at it, it's a neat tool, and for giving me the necessary tag changes.  Good for future reference, at least.

One last question:  if I do modify dwarven ethics in future worlds, will the other races hate me for it?  Or do I need to change their ethics as well?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57:03 pm »

It will make wars somewhat more common, but if you aren't currently at war then shouldn't care.  I don't know what will happen if you try to offer a caravan meat/etc from sentient creatures.  They may react like elves do when offered wood, but I suspect that part hasn't been implemented yet.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:26 am »

You can shamelessly trade elves roasts and crafts made of Elf. Makes sense to a certain extend, after all how would they be able to tell?

As for world tinker, I havnt actualy used that for a whole lot but I can confirm you can also remove existing tags as I cage trapped and tamed titan that way.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »

Okay, I'll see if the good folks at the World Tinker thread can tell me how to do it, since my own attempts have sadly failed.

As another approach, there isn't any way to speed up the rotting process? Some people seem to think that rotting down to bones just takes a massively long time, rather than being outright impossible.

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 04:33:00 pm »

Oh, and can partial skeletons be butchered, or just fresh corpses?  (I guess I ought to ask this on the Questions forum, but it's pertinent.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:45:14 pm »

Oh, and can partial skeletons be butchered, or just fresh corpses?  (I guess I ought to ask this on the Questions forum, but it's pertinent.)
Partial skeletons can be butchered into a pile of bones, given two conditions.  First, the creature has to be one you could butcher in the first place.  Second, the partial skeleton has to be large enough to yield at least one unit of bone when butchered - otherwise the butcher won't touch it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »

They butcher anything that doesnt have 'rotten' in it. So if they are late butchering a fresh corpse, they leave it untill its done spreading purple clouds and then butcher it into some bones, hair and other unrottable stuff.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 06:39:14 pm »

You can shamelessly trade elves roasts and crafts made of Elf. Makes sense to a certain extend, after all how would they be able to tell?.
Did you know that elves practice cannibalism? So, yeah. They could tell. But I wonder if they care.  ;D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »

Note that while the EAT_SAPIENT tags above will allow eating of intelligent creatures, you may not be able to use their bones or make leather from their skn without changing the MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT_ ethics to ACCEPTABLE as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:22:27 pm by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:57 pm »

I dont think other workshops than the butchers actualy check for the trophy ethics, at least in 40d they didnt. There you could on rare occasions get your hands on some elf leather. Someone made a point of decorating it with every single type of gem.

It does regulate whether or not the worldgen dwarves will wear all sorts of wacky dwarf leather trophies.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »

What about bone bolts? In .28 you could make those out of humanoids with the default tags, in .31 I don't know yet. Any info before I generate a new world?

EDIT: I just realized that you wouldn't get their bones without butchering them first. Bummer.
Pages: [1] 2