Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Toady's Ask Me Anything  (Read 4639 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Toady's Ask Me Anything
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »

Quick! Lets link this thread to the Reddit.... thing.
How  do you post links on that Reddit... thing?
Who knows, it is a... thing after all.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 06:53:22 am »

Shoots, I wish I could understand Reddit's layout. I only go onto this site and 4chan.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:01 pm »

My god, I don't know how to read that webpage effectively. This might take a while...

Really?! Yikes. I personally love Reddit over other aggregates because of it's easy to read layout. It's also searchable, has easy to find sub-sections, and all that goodness. It's not like 4chan, which reminds me of a webforum made in the early 90's.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:07 pm »

Reddit... hard to understand? I don't know how it could be made any simpler except maybe if you removed branching comment threads.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 03:51:58 pm »

Reddit... hard to understand? I don't know how it could be made any simpler except maybe if you removed branching comment threads.
Too simple. Intelligible. Incomprehensible. Inefficient. Blargh.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 04:08:42 pm »

I was frustrated that there was no way (that I could find) to view posts by one user, sorted from oldest to newest.  I had to click "load more comments" a couple times and then Ctrl+F for "TarnAdams".

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »

I logged out and tried:

http://www.reddit.com/user/TarnAdams/comments/

and it lists them from newest to oldest (with no way to flip that around).  If you want to see what the question actually is, then you need to click "context".  So that's close to what you said, though I'm not sure if that's what you want.

edit: last time I checked, the reddit bot that compiled the questions and answers missed half of them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »

Yeah, that's how I ended up doing it, too. The endless clicking for context is sort of annoying, but at least it's every answer in one place.

I guess I'll put something like that in the OP for future reference.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 04:31:45 am »

that one redditer is right.
N-dimensional flat chains SHOULD be used as a possible descriptor for forgotten beasts! :D
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 03:53:17 am »

My god, I don't know how to read that webpage effectively. This might take a while...

Really?! Yikes. I personally love Reddit over other aggregates because of it's easy to read layout. It's also searchable, has easy to find sub-sections, and all that goodness. It's not like 4chan, which reminds me of a webforum made in the early 90's.

The pure white background on reddit hurts my eyes if I look at it for too long.  :'(

As far as people hating on bay 12 forums goes I've never seen it, but I've also become accustomed to everyone hating everyone else for no real reason.

Most of the 'nice' and 'mature' communities on the internet are very nice and mature when their own culture is followed. Imgur, with its bananas, giraffes, Tard, and +1 for Current_celebrityOfFocus, and Bay12, with its Magma, carp, elephants, !!elves!!, candy, and circus, are perfect examples. Both are very welcoming (probably imgur more than bay12), both are very friendly, and both are full of intelligent people (probably bay12 more than imgur).

Step outside the bound of internal memes at your own peril, and risk suffering at the hands of well-thought out and formatted arguments of how your mother has copulated with an over-excessive quantity of the male gender.

I'm glad that the response to any community criticizing us is to show them that we can sink to their level in a heartbeat.

You can't punch a dwarf in the nose if you're six feet tall and he's a stupid dwarf.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 06:48:18 pm »

Anybody else having the problem that now that the AMA is over, you suddenly have thought of a bunch of different questions to ask that wouldn't really fit in to put on the future of the fortress reply?
Like, I wonder if Toady One has ever played Age of Mythogy, that was a great game, or Impossible Creatures, you could almost make forgotten beasts in that game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 01:45:10 am »

Anybody else having the problem that now that the AMA is over, you suddenly have thought of a bunch of different questions to ask that wouldn't really fit in to put on the future of the fortress reply?
Like, I wonder if Toady One has ever played Age of Mythogy, that was a great game, or Impossible Creatures, you could almost make forgotten beasts in that game.
Email him, if you really want to, but it seems kind of frivolous to be honest. The Reddit AMA makes sense because it's publicity shortly (I hope?) before a new release, but other than that I'd rather Toady focus on the game rather than getting tons of questions like that.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 01:55:00 am »

Yeah, that's why I don't want to bother him with it, making games is hard work as it is.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 10:38:23 am »

If you have a funny story to slip it in with, there is a thread for that :).
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 2 [3]