Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 16917 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »

Aren't you referring to an estimate thatīs a few months old per chance?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »

Aren't you referring to an estimate thatīs a few months old per chance?
Yes. ::)
I feel silly now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jfesler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Not having IPV6 yet is typical.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

Yes, you're seeing a lot of press about IPv4 and IPv6 today.
Yes, you should ask your ISP (gently) when they plan on offering IPV6. 

The larger ISPs *are* working on it.   Just most of them are not yet offering IPV6 to residential customers; they are still working out the final details of how to make that work.  For most customers, this *probably* involves replacing one or both of the boxes in the home.    Some small ISPs may not work on it terribly soon; it does involve major investment.  Many small ISPs buy their "new" gear off ebay..

It is in their interest to support IPv6; trying to extend IPV4 with a large scale equivalent of your little blue router at home, and forcing several customers to share a single public IPv4 address, will break several things.  Things like p2p - used by gaming, some chat and voice systems, and some file sharing systems.  It will break the ability to run "servers" on your home service. 
The ISPs will have their support costs go up answering questions about why specific things are broken, but web browsing works.  The ISPs will also spend more and more money on the hardware that does this address sharing.

http://test-ipv6.com was mentioned here.  I run that site.  Do use it; and in particular, just make sure that for World IPv6 day, it says you should have no problems.  This is true for 99.95% of you.  You'll just keep connecting to those participating sites over your existing IPv4.  If it *does* say you will have problems, take it seriously.

If it does say you have IPv6, and you don't *expect* it...  see what the provider is.  If it says "6to4" or "teredo", those are two methods to give you temporary addresses.  Both protocols use hardware volunteered by various folks in the communities.  They don't have any place to complain to if they fail.   Teredo users -  for most people - will find it only works for connecting to specific IP addresses, and not to web sites by name.

Hope this helps.

jfesler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 05:10:13 pm »

The reason ISPs can't give their customers IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4 is because the Internet will break for them as many sites just won't recognize their existence.

Actually, that's not the reason.  When sites go "dual stack" they will have both IPv4 and IPv6.  99.95% of the IPv4 users will have no problem.  It is the remaining 0.05% that will fail.  At some point, those people (or something they installed) enabled IPv6, *and* installed a default route.  An example of this would be uTorrent's feature to enable IPv6 (actually enabling Teredo).

The problem is when people don't *realize* this setup is not working correctly.  They don't realize it today, because the web sites they visit today, aren't yet publishing on IPv6.  But once those sites do publish on IPv6, the IPv6 route is preferred (even if broken).

I foresee a lot of NAT. Lots and lots of pain-in-the-ass, indirect-connection NAT.

Absolutely.  :-(

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 05:12:52 pm »

that utorrent option actually says Install IPv6/Teredo, but you're otherwise sounding right.
Also, hello.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 05:27:47 pm »

I'm sure smart people who make a lot of money selling you internet access have made preparations for this.
No.

But lot of tasty, tasty work for me, so everything is good.

I foresee a lot of NAT. Lots and lots of pain-in-the-ass, indirect-connection NAT.
Yup, and reduced traffic. It's actually incredible how little work have been made. Cisco's CCNA is still mostly about ipv4.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 05:39:09 pm »

Well, the estimates are still unclear, but it appears that within the next 14-2 days

If I come to this website on the next 15-3 days, and this doesn't happen, I'm going to complain about people overhyping threats.

So, basically Saturday, February 5, 2011. If Doomsday doesn't occur on Feb. 5th, you'll see a complaining post on Feb. 6. Mark your calendars.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:43:23 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 05:50:57 pm »

If Doomsday doesn't occur on Feb. 5th, you'll see 2 complaining posts on Feb. 6. Mark your calendars.
Added myself.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »

I am well known to exaggerate hazards. I have caused over $4,000,000 in exaggeration-related damages alone.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »

I'm going to single handedly drag out IPv4 as long as I can.
My router is old, there's no way it can support v6, and there's no way I can afford a new one.
Impasse.

Though, I guess there's no harm in window shopping for a new one. If FTTC ever happens at BT claim to be doing (though, the cheeky bastards are practically lying about), then I'm gunna need a faster router anyway.
Though, I'm yet to physically see any router that's ever dreamt of being as good as this one.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »

OH GOD THE WORLD IS ABOUT TO END A YEAR EARLY.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 06:58:28 pm »

...shopping for a new one. If FTTC ever happens...

Did somebody say my name?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »

FTTC, "Fiber to the Cabinet".
Aparently that means city based corperations in England might be able to achive 50mb+ speeds.
Might

We've still got absolutely no hope for 100+ in residential properties.
As for me, it turns out FTTC isn't coming to my county. Ever.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:03 pm »

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo
Are you using manual IP assignment or something?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10