Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 17226 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »

This sounds way too much like the Y2K bug hype
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »

img
Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo
Are you using manual IP assignment or something?
No, I just finished playing Fallout for now when that came up.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »

So, now that we're all prepared to freak out at the words "Connection Error" for the next few weeks, has anyone seen if there are people predicting this will be the end of the world? There generally are for every event ever, but I haven't seen any for this. Yet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »

So, now that we're all prepared to freak out at the words "Connection Error" for the next few weeks, has anyone seen if there are people predicting this will be the end of the world? There generally are for every event ever, but I haven't seen any for this. Yet.
OMG THE END OF THE WORLD!
 :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »

Well, the estimates are still unclear, but it appears that within the next 14-2 days, the internet as we know it will melt, implode, collapse, shoot out sparks, and bleed to death, possibly fatally.

Internet protocall version 4, the scheme that gives us the traditional xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, is set to be entirely used up in a handfull of days. At that point, all the addressses will have been assigned and no new internet-enabled devices will be possible.

Of course, IPv6 has been around for several years, but absolutely noone has done anything about it. It is only now that there is no time to make any change at all that any ISPs are taking this seriously.

Not that I don't believe you on the scale of the problem... well, okay I don't, but I don't believe you because I'd like to have some documentation.

All the same, any tips for a Windows XP user?  That ipv6.google.com thing does absolutely nothing for me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »

That ipv6.google.com thing does absolutely nothing for me.

That's the point. That site is only available on IPV6, and if your computer/ISP does not support IPv6, that site will not be available to you.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »

XP Service Pack 1, Vista, and Windows 7 all have Teredo installed already; all you have to do is activate it and you can browse IPv6 sites even with IPv4. Click on that link to learn how to activate it; note however, that it's seem incredibly complicated. Get Gogonet instead.

EDIT: And it turns out Gogonet requires me to register to their silly social networking site. Forget Gogonet. Go Teredo!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:35:27 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »

Let me try that Teredo thing out.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »

XP Service Pack 1, Vista, and Windows 7 all have Teredo installed already; all you have to do is activate it and you can browse IPv6 sites even with IPv4. Click on that link to learn how to activate it; note however, that it's seem incredibly complicated. Get Gogonet instead.

Not to mention it explicitly says that if you have a home router, like 99% of ordinary Internet customers, you're boned anyway.

This is why I have a hard time believing the sky is going to fall, in the next few days or ever.  Why in the world would ISPs as an industry sit around with their thumbs in the asses, instead of developing some workaround on their end?  If the problem really is as catastrophic as described, in that big chunks of sites and addresses will be randomly unable to connect, it'll mean irate service calls out the wazoo, firmware replacement by the millions, dropped customers galore especially migrating to the first company to deliver a back-compat solution, and God knows what kind of angry advertisers.  Just think of the money they'd stand to lose, it's retarded.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 10:08:33 pm »

OH NOES! FEB 5th is a VARY important date for me! I can't have the internet quit on me then!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:24 pm »

Unfortunately for me, apparently my ISP doesn't give IPv6. Oh well, they'll give IPv6 eventually.
Turns out, it was actually due to me turning off IPv6 in firefox(me trying to connect to the LParchive which just wouldn't connect, but it connects now strangely). *Facepalm*, so I actually can connect to the IPv6 network, even though it uses Teredo. Yay! I get 7/10 for both tests!

Now where's my cookie?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:09 pm »

Wait, the world's ending? I missed the memo!

Happilly pulls out Bug-out bag and wishes that he hadn't eaten so many of the MRE's out of it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:11 am »

I don't know how serious it is, but bear in mind that many Firewall systems cannot deal properly with IPV6 traffic, there are a number of exploits that work on IPV6, especially some new stuff for Metasploit and the like, these use the toredo system to give your box an IPV6 ip and then maintain a persistent shell via new methods of attack.

http://www.hak5.org/episodes/episode-810

Note that they have to gain access to the actual system first, so as long as you are careful then it's not so bad.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 08:34:13 am »

Hehe, now now, it doesn't work like that, poeple.

The IP is a number that a machine is given by a router to get accesible on a routed network (you can do a network without it with only switches). All the routers any packet goes through must be configured this way for the thing to work.
That's why we have been speaking of NAT : the process of giving an IPv4 address to an IPv6 packet to allow him to pass on a non IPv6 segment of the network. Changing your IP version at home will achieve nothing. (Beside you must be given an IP address.)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10