Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 17180 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2011, 01:03:32 pm »

I'm confused. Doesn't this all just mean, in practice, that it'll take practically forever to log on to the internet (because you'll have to try several times, hoping for somebody else to disconnect to free up an address)? Personally, I started using the internet back during the heyday of dial-up modems, so needing arduous amounts of time to connect to the 'net is something that I know how to handle.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »

It's not just users, however. It's also that new websites and web-active entities won't be able to connect either. The web will be frozen at this size. In effect, all new growth will have to be IPv6, and thus inaccessable to a great many users.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 02:54:15 pm »

It's not just users, however. It's also that new websites and web-active entities won't be able to connect either. The web will be frozen at this size. In effect, all new growth will have to be IPv6, and thus inaccessable to a great many users.
Until the stuff is fixed/updated for IPv6.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 03:06:21 pm »

Which will happen with the same speed and quality as we have already seen in the lead-up to exaustion.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 11:17:13 pm »

Things will get a little more expensive, some rates will go up, and ISPs will try to move people onto "multiple domains on the same IP" plan.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »

I just checked with my ISP, to see if they've tried moving me onto a ranged IP, or announced any other similar changes.
My IP is still listed as static, and that I have only one static IP.
..But even better, an enquiry on their forum yielded this quote.
IPv4 will still work, even when the block 'runs out'.

As far as my ISP is concerned, they're just not doing a damned thing about this whole "impending doom" scenario.
...And it seems I'm better off for it.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:15 am »

Things will get a little more expensive, some rates will go up, and ISPs will try to move people onto "multiple domains on the same IP" plan.

This is the essential issue here; they could have fixed this gradually and kept rates low and services high, but they waited and waited to no-one's benifit at all.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2011, 04:47:36 am »

It's a real shame that most ISP's have simply sat back and not done anything towards switching, there are no benefits to staying with IPv4, and apart from the setup costs there are no drawbacks to IPv6, especially as a number of issues with NAT are mostly eliminated (assuming NAT doesn't make it's way into the IPv6 Specification).
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2011, 10:19:58 am »

...oh nuts. I had thought that, since my address was not xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-like but rather xx.xx.xxx.xxx-like I would not have only IPv4. Turns out I do :O

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2011, 10:59:12 am »

...oh nuts. I had thought that, since my address was not xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-like but rather xx.xx.xxx.xxx-like I would not have only IPv4. Turns out I do :O
That's an 0xx.0xx.xxx.xxx Address. It's just a lower number.

Also, what's so bad about having IPv4?
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:49 am »

Erm, this thread is about what's bad about having an IPv4 address. Namely, they run out in six days, and users with dynamic IPs will have to wait for someone else to log off before they can log on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2011, 11:08:18 am »

...users with dynamic IPs will have to wait for someone else to log off before they can log on.

This is the part that I don't quite understand.  It's not like the entire Internet is constantly talking to every other server in the world.  There's no Internet Immigration Authority checking your IP Address to make sure it's totally unique in the world at all times.  Wouldn't identical IPs only matter if they meet up in the same serverspace?  Or am I completely wrong about how this works, which isn't unlikely.

I still refuse to believe that an industry as massive as telecommunications would see a problem as apocalyptic as described from as far off as described, and refuse to do anything about it on their end.  If the situation is as described, an entire industry stands to gain nothing and lose tons of money.  Why would they allow that to happen?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:24 am »

This is terrible.
We should all panic.
Sound the alarms!

I still refuse to believe that an industry as massive as telecommunications would see a problem as apocalyptic as described from as far off as described, and refuse to do anything about it on their end.  If the situation is as described, an entire industry stands to gain nothing and lose tons of money.  Why would they allow that to happen?

Sorry, they can't hear you over the sound of their money.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:37 am »

Actually, you probably won't have to wait.
It's gunna take awhile for ISPs to sell that many IPv4 addresses.

It just means you won't be able to start up your own ISP any time soon.

This is the part that I don't quite understand.  It's not like the entire Internet is constantly talking to every other server in the world.  There's no Internet Immigration Authority checking your IP Address to make sure it's totally unique in the world at all times.  Wouldn't identical IPs only matter if they meet up in the same serverspace?  Or am I completely wrong about how this works, which isn't unlikely.
Well, actually, IP addresses are actually addresses.
Imagine if two buildings had the same address + Zipcode/Postcode whatever.
Basically, you'd then have two places to send one piece of mail.
This goes back the whole point.
Nothing bad is really going to happen. ISPs probably have enough surplus IP addresses to last them until they finally make the switch on their own steam.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2011, 11:18:11 am »

...users with dynamic IPs will have to wait for someone else to log off before they can log on.

good point, If you both search on google at the same time, you may have an issue.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10