Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 16911 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2011, 12:10:42 pm »

Well, actually, IP addresses are actually addresses.
Imagine if two buildings had the same address + Zipcode/Postcode whatever.
Basically, you'd then have two places to send one piece of mail.
It has been proposed to use that to send packages to anyone in a peer-to-peer network, via a technique called multicasting (package would end up at anyone or even multiple persons with the same multicast address). Problem was and still is that ISP's didn't feel like replacing their hardware for an experimental feature.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2011, 01:33:07 pm »

This whole thing sounds like bullshit to me. The inability to connect to the internet would screw so many people over, if were really something to worry about, ISPs would have/will take care of it.
Also, this machine, like the rest of the computers we've got at home, has a local IP address, I'm sure I'm not the only one on 192.168.1.05.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2011, 02:31:05 pm »

Also, this machine, like the rest of the computers we've got at home, has a local IP address, I'm sure I'm not the only one on 192.168.1.05.
You don't put zeros in before any other number, just like you don't say 0002 + 0002 = 0004.

Also, that's because you're using a router, which will definitely have an external IP address, and I'm pretty certain will use standard NAT to communicate between the two.
...So yeah, you have a standard, external IPv4 IP address, like everyone else here.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »

This whole thing sounds like bullshit to me. The inability to connect to the internet would screw so many people over, if were really something to worry about, ISPs would have/will take care of it.
I agree with you, but
Sorry, they can't hear you over the sound of their money.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

They did a lot of thing... to make ipv4 last longer.
Just switching to IPv6 ask for massive cooperation. It's the govs that should have moved.
But they (the govs) have the technology awareness of a duck.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2011, 03:29:10 pm »

An amish duck.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2011, 03:30:06 pm »

In the middle of nowhere.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »

Any IP starting with 192.168 is a local IP that is used on your local network only. The router has a single IP of it's own that is seen by everyone else.

Also, it is possible to set up IPv6 access even if all you have is IPv4, either due to router or ISP. The IPv4 depletion will only mean that anyone who wants to get an address for their cell phone, dishwasher, radio, or cat, must tolerate an IPv6 address, and if they had from the start, there would be plenty of IPv4 left for everyone.
Eh?
Eh!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:31 pm »

I was sort of under the impression that we'd run out of IP addresses years ago... I guess the fact that multiple residential users are crammed together under a single address gave me that impression... I'm pretty sure this is just going to mean that more people will be crammed under one address... I mean you can actually cram a hell of a lot together, even if it does slow things down a little.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:16 pm »

You could cram the whole world behind a few dozen routers if anyone tried. The lag would be god-like in its immensity and everyone would think its the worst idea ever, but it sounds possible from what I've heard and we'd likely never run out of IPs as long as people didn't have multiple phones.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »

I should also like to point out that the majority of addresses are dynamic addresses which are assigned on the fly, if you're at home, you're probably using a dynamic address. Which can be changed around. The reason for this is so they can change dynamic addresses used for multiple small users to a static one for a big company somewhere. So the IP address system currently used is very flexible. We are in no danger of the internet suddenly crashing... Unless Turkey blocks Youtube again.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 09:37:33 am »

Did anyone else here a distant "thud" kinda noise?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2011, 09:40:05 am »

pfft so much for the end then.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:16 am »

I am well known to exaggerate hazards. I have caused over $4,000,000 in exaggeration-related damages alone.

Anyway, we have about six months before the regional sections start to run out.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »

Did it happen? I'm currently using someone else's internet, mine isn't working no matter what I try.

(I actually have no idea what's happening really)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:51:23 pm by Jervous »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10