Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 16918 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:07:39 pm »

Well, the estimates are still unclear, but it appears that within the next 14-2 days, the internet as we know it will melt, implode, collapse, shoot out sparks, and bleed to death, possibly fatally.

Internet protocall version 4, the scheme that gives us the traditional xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, is set to be entirely used up in a handfull of days. At that point, all the addressses will have been assigned and no new internet-enabled devices will be possible.

Of course, IPv6 has been around for several years, but absolutely noone has done anything about it. It is only now that there is no time to make any change at all that any ISPs are taking this seriously.

So, for the next few months, we will see increasing numbers of unpredictable failures as various systems that always assumed that there will be more IPs available for them find that they don't. Most likely, prices for internet access will rise.

At some point, IPv6 will become the main system, but every point along the network must be upgraded, from the router to the major nodes and back again. Failing that, there will be serious bottlenecks created where ISPs create localized IPv4 networks and connect these with IPv6 backbones. I can only guess that these will be slower to use and easier to police than a pure IPv6 network.

So this is a bit of a preemptive goodbye to the B12 forums. I hope to see you all on the other side. A word of advice, download everything you can now. Especially Moris Code dictionaries.

PS: With any luck, the upgrade will be so technically complex and scary that we may see a reprive from eternal september, a time when once again only the technically adept may use the internet. If you can upgrade, don't tell anyone how you did it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »

christ man, most isp's have IPv6 anyway, i know Qwest has it and Windows 7 supports the protocol fully.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

Yeah I'm totally dead, all my network hook ups are IPv4.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »

Where can I check what kind of internet protocol I have?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:10 pm »

Hah, well, it was bound to happen when you go flaunting ranges around like that.

As for me? Yeah, my router will only support V4...
But I have a static IP, and my Router is on 24/7.

...Wait.
So this is a bit of a preemptive goodbye to the B12 forums. I hope to see you all on the other side. A word of advice, download everything you can now. Especially Moris Code dictionaries.
You do realise this isn't going to shut the entire internet down, right?
At worst, a few ISPs are going to run out of IP adresses, and a few people around the world may have to wait for someone else to log off so they can log on.

Also, we could probably salvage a couple of ranges from long dead ISPs that never surrendered their purchaces. That's only last another week, but even so, it's extra ground recovered.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:30:51 pm »

Ok, whatever, no IPv6 for me.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »

This.

5-6 year old computer potentially FTL here.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:28 pm »

I'm sure smart people who make a lot of money selling you internet access have made preparations for this.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:21 pm »

This.

Network and sharing Center-> Conections:

Klick whatever is there, most likely "local area connection"

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

I'm sure smart people who make a lot of money selling you internet access have made preparations for this.
Actually, yes. Other wise, there could be a lot of money getting lost.

Though, I actually have to point out that I abhore the fact that this topic has taken a doomsday aproach to the subject. It's nothing of the sort.
The internet will continue to function even if IPv4 is full.
It just means that people won't be able to get a new internet connection for awhile.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »

Though, I actually have to point out that I abhore the fact that this topic has taken a doomsday aproach to the subject[...]

It just means that people won't be able to get a new internet connection for awhile.
And that is why.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 03:46:00 pm »

This.

I found this site googling "testing ipv6 connectivity".

Unfortunately for me, apparently my ISP doesn't give IPv6. Oh well, they'll give IPv6 eventually.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »

Try this:

http://ipv6.google.com/

If it doesn't work, either google's down, or there's IPv4 on your supply chain.

Most ISPs certainly advertise support for IPv6, but that is generally very limited. I find it's best to assume that accuracy is achived by, wherever possible, assuming corporations are lazy and greedy. IPv6 implementation is a textbook case of not caring about it until too late.

Incidentally, this is exactly how climate change is going to play out, except without the countermeasures doing anything.

As for IPv4 exaustion not actually doing anything besides capping the number of people on the internet, I feel that's simplifying the issue, since like conventional economics, the measure of success of the internet economy isn't how many businesses there are, it's how many new ones are appearing.

That said, yes. This does have pangs of Y2K about it. Still, it's a pretty safe bet that the internet will change in the next few months, and it's probable that it won't be for the better, if only because of bottlenecks and increased "intelectual property protection" put in place with the upgrades.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »

Apparently I do have an IPv6 address (boy is that a long address), but I can't go on any site solely with my IPv6 address.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 04:03:37 pm »

Wait, since when did the estimate go from "a couple months at most" all the way to "Under 2 weeks"?!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10