Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 17265 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:38 am »

Hopefully toady will have a new release before it all goes down.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 09:57:35 am »

This is why I have a hard time believing the sky is going to fall, in the next few days or ever.
And, as someone who actually knows what they're talking about on the subject, I can tell you that things are not going to collapse in on themselves.

What the OP claims is that the IPv4 system which, 90% or so of the internet uses right now, is going to become full.
Think of it like a multi-story car park. Each parking bay is an IP address. Basically, service providers litterally buy segments of this car park, then, when you connect to the internet, your "car" goes into one of these spaces. That's an IP address in use.
Once a provider has baught a segment of the car park though, no one else can then use those spaces.

What happens when the car park is full?
Well, it certainly doesn't collapse.
Basically new cars cannot park because there is no space.
Most of the time, you'll find that there's plenty of free space in your providers allocated bays, and that you'll have no problem getting online.

And, just to fit to this analogy, I have what's called a static IP address, which you tend to have to pay a bit more for, because it can't then be pooled like a normal address.
Think of it as a reserved space, just for me. (Unless I stop paying my ISP!)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 10:15:56 am »

So, if I'm getting this right, running out of IPv4 addresses will not become a problem for anyone untill there are enough people using the internet at the exact same time to fill every single address in a given ISP's owned addresses?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51:36 am »

Speaking of IP distribution, does anyone know how IPv6 addresses will be given out?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 10:53:00 am »

It's not qute that simple.
This is, unfortunately true.

Just to try and clarify my whole multi-story carpark analogy, IP addresses are reserved per ISP or higher company... So one ISP could be at full load, and another empty, just because those IPs are open, doesn't mean you can use them, unfortuntely.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 04:27:33 pm »

XP Service Pack 1, Vista, and Windows 7 all have Teredo installed already; all you have to do is activate it and you can browse IPv6 sites even with IPv4. Click on that link to learn how to activate it; note however, that it's seem incredibly complicated. Get Gogonet instead.

Not to mention it explicitly says that if you have a home router, like 99% of ordinary Internet customers, you're boned anyway.

Questionable accuracy, because according to it, I shouldn't have been able to get to google by ipv6, and yet I could when I tested it a few minutes ago...
Eh?
Eh!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 04:36:52 pm »

Is this something that can be solved through a firmware update?
Because every time I go to 192.168.1.1, it scans for an update.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

Speaking of IP distribution, does anyone know how IPv6 addresses will be given out?
Easily. Same organisation, but they give them by the dozen( just like when iv4 began).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »

Estimates between 6 and 8 days today. Better play as much Fallout as you can, to get a good idea of how to survive in the post-IPv4 wasteland that is fast approaching!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »

oh god i can see the light..

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:08 pm »

Estimates between 6 and 8 days today.

You keep saying that like it means something.  Where are you getting these estimates?  Explain yourself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 05:54:58 pm »

Estimates between 6 and 8 days today.

You keep saying that like it means something.  Where are you getting these estimates?  Explain yourself.
Indeed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 05:59:25 pm »

Andrew Hussie.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

First you take lamb bones and char them over a fire of the sacred reeds. While the air is still laden with the smoke, you must scan the top three results for a google search of some variation of the phrase "IPv4 exaustion prediction".

I'll admit it leaves some room for increased accuracy.

I used to get my results from here, but the app is broken.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »

it doesn't look broken.
what do you mean?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10