Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 16910 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2011, 02:09:21 pm »

This is hype.

The last high level IP block was sold last week. This will not melt down the internet. This will affect hardly anyone.

What will happen in the short term is that the private owners of ip blocks will start selling/renting/leasing them to others and service providers will be silently NATing you if they run out of IP addresses.

Meanwhile, ipv6 deployment is progressing at an orderly but slow pace and will eventually become more and more mainstream.

At some point, people are going to start turning off IPV4 service a few years from now. That is when some parts of the internet will start going dark for the few remaining pure ipv4 users.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »

At some point, people are going to start turning off IPV4 service a few years from now.

And by "a few years from now" you mean when the last IPv4-only piece of equipment leaves the Internet.

Which might occur sometime this century.
Don't underestimate the potential of computer-related technology to suddenly have its user count explode. Remember when the iPhone was some amazing new thing that only fortunate people could afford? And then a billion clone products came out, so now a huge number of people have them all of a sudden? I could see somthing like that (Obviously, clone products would not apply.) happening to the IPv4-IPv6 conversion.

Hell, it wasn't so long ago that computers themselves were somthing that only businesses, the millitary, and nerds used. And yet, here we are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2011, 12:14:40 am »

This is why people are still using IE 6.

IE6 DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.  GET ME OUT OF THIS HELL HOLE.

this is what I'm forced to use at work...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2011, 10:51:33 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:40 am »

According to Hurricane Electrics, we've run out of IANA IPv4 addresses. WE'RE SCREWEEEDDDD [/sarcasm]

Edit: Gah, my internet is dropping about 1/4ths of the packets sent on pings. That's not good.

Edit2: Okay, I think the slowdown's stopped for now, thankfully.

Edit3: Ernope. Still slowing down, shifting between okay and 1/4th loss. That sucks royally.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:07:21 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »

Well, the estimates are still unclear, but it appears that within the next 14-2 days

If I come to this website on the next 15-3 days, and this doesn't happen, I'm going to complain about people overhyping threats.

So, basically Saturday, February 5, 2011. If Doomsday doesn't occur on Feb. 5th, you'll see a complaining post on Feb. 6. Mark your calendars.

[Insert Complaint Here]
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »

*ComplainYellComplainComplainPoint*
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:57 pm »

You guys are 1 day early, you know.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »

Time zones man, time zones.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2011, 06:02:59 pm »

Yeah, maybe. Buuuuuut:

Quote from: Servant Corps's Profile
Local Time:    2011-02-05, 18:00:55
Quote from: Aklyon's Profile
Local Time:    2011-02-05, 18:02:23

Maybe not.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2011, 06:07:33 pm »

Yoou know the link in your sigquote goes nowhere, right Tarran?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 06:11:12 pm »

Yeah, maybe. Buuuuuut:

Maybe not.
So what? According to my clock it was almost midnight. Just  means you're a bit behind us, 's all.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 06:20:00 pm »

Yoou know the link in your sigquote goes nowhere, right Tarran?
Yeah, that's because the thread was deleted for a reason I do not know(I was asleep at the time).

Yeah, maybe. Buuuuuut:

Maybe not.
So what? According to my clock it was almost midnight. Just  means you're a bit behind us, 's all.
It means your argument is null. You argued that it could be 06 at their time. I proved you wrong.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:42 pm »

Wait, profile? I thought that was the time from the quotes. My bad.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:01 pm »

Well, time to add another mark to the counter.

Quote from: Doomsayer Counter
Doomsday Events Come True: 0
Doomsday Events Not Come True: 41610256

I mean, no one really claimed it would be the end of the world, but I have to keep all my bases covered.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10