Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 16913 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2011, 06:58:58 pm »

You guys are 1 day early, you know.
Time zones man, time zones.
Yeah, maybe. Buuuuuut:

Quote from: Servant Corps's Profile
Local Time:    2011-02-05, 18:00:55
Quote from: Aklyon's Profile
Local Time:    2011-02-05, 18:02:23

Maybe not.

You're right, I was supposed to complain on Feb. 6th. Eh, it's the Super Bowl (tm), I'd be busy then.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »

It doesn't matter, the center repository ran out on the first. That's what we were talking about.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2011, 07:10:41 pm »

It doesn't matter, the center repository ran out on the first. That's what we were talking about.
But the lights are still on, so nyah.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2011, 07:11:47 pm »

But the lights are still on, so nyah.

Lo, I am struck a blow by wit.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2011, 10:22:26 pm »

If I am interpreting what I recall having read here properly, there are only 16 million addresses that are completely unclaimed left. Each of the 5 major regions has over 16 million of their own to distribute, and once they run out they must draw from that last global pool of 16 million(all but that last 16m were given out to the regions, not long ago).

Each region will start to run out within 2011, getting vanishingly smaller blocks of unused addresses from the global pool, eventually reaching a point where you just can't get any new addresses. Once the region runs out, companies will be unable to get any new addresses, so they must use what they already have.

(unlike some of what I type, this was NOT verified by a visit to google.com, so could be utterly wrong. Don't cite me on any of this)
Eh?
Eh!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2011, 03:38:25 am »

The central repository is empty. The regional pools are emptying and will be empty in about eight or nine months. When these start to run out, most likely in the East Asian region first, then gradually the supply will dry up and companies will need to buy IPs from one another, increasing costs.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2011, 07:04:21 am »

The central repository is empty. The regional pools are emptying and will be empty in about eight or nine months. When these start to run out, most likely in the East Asian region first, then gradually the supply will dry up and companies will need to buy IPs from one another, increasing costs.
So until IPv6 becomes the main thing, people can theoretically buy up lots of IP-addresses now and sell them later for profit?
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2011, 07:16:42 am »

So until IPv6 becomes the main thing, people can theoretically buy up lots of IP-addresses now and sell them later for profit?

You'll probs need to buy them in bulk at high prices to start off with, so it'll be hard.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:35 am »

Presumably, one could buy a static IP adress from their ISP under a long-term contract, ensuring that they have no issues in the upcoming months.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2011, 05:58:39 pm »

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the internet...

http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/

1 Day until APNIC runs out. You might want to hold onto something heavy so you aren't flung into space when the planet abruptly stops spinning.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2011, 06:05:11 pm »

Estimates between 6 and 8 days today.
1 Day until APNIC runs out.
I'm no mathematician, but I think it's been a few more than 7 days between these posts.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2011, 06:20:04 pm »

Man we're screwed.  <Good> thing I stored up on a bomb shelter amount of manga.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:25 pm »

BEFORE IT RUNS OUT WE SHOULD ALL ILLEGALLY PIRATE AS MUCH just kidding, don't have me for breakfast Toady!

Oh well. Looks like Asia has already run out according to a google news search, and they're experiencing some problems.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »

Well crap. Which region is APNIC?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2011, 06:33:02 pm »

Well crap. Which region is APNIC?

Asia. I had read it wrong; the USA and Europe aren't running out; that's why you don't see them on the news.

No reason to panic, anyone, sorry for supporting the sensationalism. However, if you live in Asia...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10