Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights  (Read 16909 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: IPv4 is over, turn off the lights
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »

Well, look on the bright side, after we switch to IPv6, we won't have this kind of problem again for a VERY long time.

340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »

Well, look on the bright side, after we switch to IPv6, we won't have this kind of problem again for a VERY long time.

340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses.

In a show of ludicrous skepticism that makes no sense, I give it about 3 hours.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2011, 07:28:59 pm »

We'll just invent mobile devices that everyone in the world gets a dozen of that take up sixteen IP addresses each. After all, if we're not actively attempting to deplete the world's IP address supplies as fast as possible, we're not making scientific progress.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »

We'll just invent mobile devices that everyone in the world gets a dozen of that take up sixteen IP addresses each. After all, if we're not actively attempting to deplete the world's IP address supplies as fast as possible, we're not making scientific progress.

You obviously belong here.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »

Gentlemen, the Internet Apocalypse will come. We must all pray to Toady for assistance.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

Does IPv6 increase the number of ports?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »

Well, crap.

Hold on extra hard to your tinfoil hats, people.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

Good question. DO we need more ports, too?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »

Good question. DO we need more ports, too?

yes. Makes port competition more avoidable and makes port scanning less productive.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2011, 08:25:39 am »

As a person in one of the member countries of the APNIC, I can assure you that most of us are blissfully unaware of this threat of doom that stands upon us, I however have constructed a secret base to survive the forthcoming apocalypse.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2011, 08:31:41 am »

Why in the name of 4chan are they doing this shit!?

WHY CAN'T THEY KEEP IT HOW IT WAS!?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2011, 08:37:52 am »

Because there won't be enough IP adresses for everyone if we stay on IPv4. And for the moment, no one is doing anything, just waiting for them to actually run out and crash.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2011, 08:41:04 am »

10/10   for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10   for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

:(

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2011, 08:44:52 am »

Or just run out and....run out.

It's not as if the entire IP namespace is going to evaporate if it's full--in the same way that if the postal service runs out of ZIP codes, all the mailboxes in the country don't burst into flames. Home networks aren't the problem. Most operate behind a router nowadays, so the whole home is taking up precisely one (usually dynamic) IP. It's the mobile gadgets like smartphones and iPads that have been the big explosion.

Upgrades will happen, even if they're a little kludgy and painful for a while, in the same way we broke the 640k memory barrier, the same way we got past Y2K, the same way we (in the US) converted from analog TV to digital, the same way pretty much all computer technology advances--people will come up with some various implementations of a new standard, the marketplace will decide which ones survive and which don't, and eventually obsolescence will force everyone to play catch-up.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:23 am »

It's not as if the entire IP namespace is going to evaporate if it's full--in the same way that if the postal service runs out of ZIP codes, all the mailboxes in the country don't burst into flames.

I don't believe you. The Postal Service has to be doing somthing with all the money being thrown at them, and if it isn't combating Fatal Postal Combustion, then what?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10