Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: I love duplicate raws.  (Read 23691 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love duplicate raws.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »

I'm wondering though if anybody can fancy a guess as to why this happens? 

Here's my guess, which has a high probability of being correct:
1. The game builds lists of all creatures, plants, and inorganics, sorted by the order in which they appear in the raws (and the names of the raw files themselves). If an entity is duplicated, the index of the newest one gets used. These lists are then used as lookup tables.
2. Whenever a creature, plant, or inorganic is referenced by name, that name is converted into a numeric index using an appropriate table from step 1. However, the duplicate entities are deleted when you load the game. As a result, duplicate entities will cause everything after that entity to be shifted ahead.

Example:
Your creature raws contain definitions for [TOAD], [BEETLE, WORM], [DWARF, HUMAN, ELF, GOBLIN, TROLL], [FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3], etc. This results in a lookup table of TOAD=0, BEETLE=1, WORM=2, DWARF=3, HUMAN=4, ELF=5, GOBLIN=6, TROLL=7, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1=8, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2=9, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3=10, etc.
You then duplicate the 2nd RAW file, adding duplicate entries for BEETLE and WORM. The lookup table is now TOAD=0, BEETLE=3, WORM=4, DWARF=5, HUMAN=6, ELF=7, GOBLIN=8, TROLL=9, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1=10, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2=11, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3=12, but the actual creatures are still TOAD, BEETLE, WORM, DWARF, HUMAN, ELF, GOBLIN, TROLL, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3, etc. because the duplicates got deleted.
Thus, you end up with mountainhalls populated by Elves (offset 5), villages populated by Goblins (offset 6), forest retreats populated by Trolls (offset 7), and dark fortresses populated by Forgotten Beasts (offset 8 ).

This is what I figured was happening too.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:52 pm »

Furthermore, whenever one creature is "transformed" into a different creature that has different materials (not sure if it's by name or just by quantity - e.g. it's probably more likely if a non-venomous creature turns into one with an extract), any "new" materials will instantly burst into flame and/or boil in a freezing cloud because all of the physical properties (melting point, boiling point, ignite point, etc.) are undefined. This is similar to what caused creatures to freeze to death in clouds of boiling leather back in 40d.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

OrbinDules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:40 pm »

Would this also explain that if you duplicate different raws every time, and you generated a new world, you would get incredibly similar worlds? I duplicated different raws five different times, and I all five times, got a world where Humans, dwarves, and elves were non existent, and we had kobolds, gremlins, goblins, trolls, and ogres playing as the Plains, forest, mountains, evil, and sulking entities respectively.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »

When I embatked I got "The age of one"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 07:17:48 am »

Could "one" possibly be the name of a titan/megabeast? Maybe the language raws got a little messed up.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 11:03:48 pm »

Age of one means there is one megabeast left, just as age of three means there are three, and age of legends means there are too many to count.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2011, 12:52:01 am »

Duplicating inorganic_mineral i found sites with cotton candy soil layers, but they didnt dump anything useful when dug.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »

I am playing cave crocodile fortress after I copied the Creature_standard raws.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2011, 04:46:13 pm »

Age of one means there is one megabeast left, just as age of three means there are three, and age of legends means there are too many to count.
This must be new, because last time I checked it was "The Age of X" where X is the megabeast name, not the age of one.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 05:38:45 pm »

Hmm...I got an age of one back in .13m do you mean like "the age of the bronze collosus" or the "age of so-and-so", vs the "age of one"?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »

My first raw duplicate was very tame. I played as humans instead of dorfs and fought gremlins instead of kobolds. Other than that, though, there were no noticeable differences.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »

unrelated to the glitch, but i once got "the age of nine" during gameplay
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 11:16:50 pm »

Curiously, it seems the Genesis Mod means nothing terribly interesting happens for creatures_standard or creatures_temperate... although it did crash in Legends when I tried to load regions  ???
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »

My olmmen used their plump helmet picks to mine some "dragon". The rock was just called "dragon" and it didn't leave anything when i mined it.

It's been forever since I've done this.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:58 am »

My olmmen used their plump helmet picks to mine some "dragon". The rock was just called "dragon" and it didn't leave anything when i mined it.

It's been forever since I've done this.

Plump Helmet Picks?
What about when the miners get hungry?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8