Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: I love duplicate raws.  (Read 23460 times)

farm the man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love duplicate raws.
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:14 am »

I've duplicated the raws. All my dwarves are dragons. Unfortunately, dragons don't have thumbs, so none of them could do anything and just stood around syarving to death.
It might help if you tip the balance, and use burrows to force your desired pedophilia couple together.

Holy shit, did I just say that?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:28 am »

Sadly i  haven't touched the game in months, but i seriously need to try this right now.

I Duplicated "body_default" Created "The domain of soul" Embarked in "The forest of wondering" in "the continent of goring " A warm heavily forested temperate conifer forest with thick vegetation and untamed wilds with the brook "The sacrificial-crazy responsibilities" winding it's way through it's center...
Result? Everything appears normal :'(

edit: oops i see what i did wrong, my copy was called "Copy of body_default.txt" not "body_default - copy.txt" as required, i'll try again :P
edit edit: what OS defaults to calling copys "file_name - copy" ?
edit x3 : "Xah ashi - The dimension of wonder" "Play now!"...   ... still nothing.. ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:21:21 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zenny the Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a fork
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:18:41 am »

I embarked as living trees that ate wagon meat before..

'Twas fun.

It was this that made me realize that duplicating raws is roughly equivalent to feeding your computer LSD.

I hope you allow me to sig' this
In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 09:46:20 am »

If duplicating a whole file doesn't work, just make an in-RAW duplicate, for example copy a single entry and paste it somewhere in the file. No matter how small an entry, the results are silly at worst.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »

'Twas fun.

It was this that made me realize that duplicating raws is roughly equivalent to feeding your computer LSD.

I hope you allow me to sig' this

Haha, of course :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »

The duped RAW glitch is indeed fun. Last time I tried it I embarked as a Lion civ, and my first caravan was a Fluffy Wambler civ. Crashed before I got to them, though.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »

Duplicated the ocean creatures raws. Created an adventurer. The result - I'm a giant bat axeman wielding a spear and a dagger. Giant rats play the role of humans. Naked mole dogs stand for goblins...
Embarked. I can take plump helmet men and cave blobs as pets, have 'forgotten beast' for 2 points (I have 15 already). The fort's name is Splatteredsilver which is kind of cool. We're still giant bats.

Genned another world, this time with 3 raws copied. All the world's civs are forgotten beasts. DF hanged itself trying to embark.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:57:04 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »

Duplicated the ocean creatures raws. Created an adventurer. The result - I'm a giant bat axeman wielding a spear and a dagger. Giant rats play the role of humans. Naked mole dogs stand for goblins...
Sounds almost normal, what with bats being cave-lovers and sun-haters who don't mind being blind, naked mole dogs behaving completely differently from other mammals with a society centered around a single individual, and rats adapting well to their environment and being quite smart... what does that leave elfs as? Friggin' squirrels?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:56 pm »

Duplicating Creature_reptiles.txt. HERE GOES NOTHING...

EDIT: DF Crashed during worldgen when i paused the generation process to grab a screenshot of it homing in over the Cave Swallow Man mountain halls of Vodoli (there's more, but screen cutoff kicked in).

EDIT2: Worldgen complete. Let's check the history so far...
We Have:
  • Amphibian Man civilizations
  • Troll Civilizations
  • Gremlin Civilizations
  • Goblin Civilizations
  • Antman Civilizations
  • Kobold Civilizations
  • And An elven civilization.
Apparently one of my troll civilizations is headed by a bronze collosus.

Okay, time to see what happens in adventure mode, then start a fortress.

EDIT: Holy crap, i can pick things up off the ground, causing the ground to spontaneously combust!
EDIT2: I didn't realize you can set things on fire! this opens so many doors!
EDIT3: Started Fortress Mode. Apparently it's Elf Fortress now. Also, as soon as i spawn...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:48:49 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:44 am »

trying again, copied [CREATURE:BUTTERFLY_MONARCH], let's see the butterfly effect in action :p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 01:38:34 am »

'Twas fun.
Sig'd.

OT:

I got a world where EVERYTHING was forgotten beasts.

If only we can mount creatures...
Then I can have forgotten beasts with pet forgotten beasts riding forgotten beasts to kill forgotten beasts riding other forgotten beasts and elves.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 02:28:57 am »

So, I copied the fly entry, but all that did was make me a human civilization, which would have been fine except that they apparently can't mine through rock.

I tried copying that adjusted insect file, deleted the extra fly entry in the original, and then copied inorganic_stone_mineral and tissue_template_default, and ended up embarking as dragons who were enemies with the dreaded Bronze Colossi, Forgotten Beasts, and Goblins (heh, have fun surviving guys).  Unfortunately, I tried to embark, and all the nonstone tiles (sand, peat, etc) were labeled "rock" and all of the rock tiles kept switching what they were.  I still want to try to make a dragon fortress, except that apparently Dragons a.  Can't learn and b.  Can't grasp, because I keep getting spam that they can't pickup equipment because they are too injured.  Does anyone know where their raws are?  I want to add in [GRASP] for their arms and the [CAN_LEARN] tag.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58:29 am »

dragons are in creature_standard.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 02:41:22 pm »

So, I copied the fly entry, but all that did was make me a human civilization, which would have been fine except that they apparently can't mine through rock.
I got a human fortress with humans who can mine through rock. I haven't gotten to play it much though.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:46 pm »

I'm wondering though if anybody can fancy a guess as to why this happens? 

Here's my guess, which has a high probability of being correct:
1. The game builds lists of all creatures, plants, and inorganics, sorted by the order in which they appear in the raws (and the names of the raw files themselves). If an entity is duplicated, the index of the newest one gets used. These lists are then used as lookup tables.
2. Whenever a creature, plant, or inorganic is referenced by name, that name is converted into a numeric index using an appropriate table from step 1. However, the duplicate entities are deleted when you load the game. As a result, duplicate entities will cause everything after that entity to be shifted ahead.

Example:
Your creature raws contain definitions for [TOAD], [BEETLE, WORM], [DWARF, HUMAN, ELF, GOBLIN, TROLL], [FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3], etc. This results in a lookup table of TOAD=0, BEETLE=1, WORM=2, DWARF=3, HUMAN=4, ELF=5, GOBLIN=6, TROLL=7, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1=8, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2=9, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3=10, etc.
You then duplicate the 2nd RAW file, adding duplicate entries for BEETLE and WORM. The lookup table is now TOAD=0, BEETLE=3, WORM=4, DWARF=5, HUMAN=6, ELF=7, GOBLIN=8, TROLL=9, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1=10, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2=11, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3=12, but the actual creatures are still TOAD, BEETLE, WORM, DWARF, HUMAN, ELF, GOBLIN, TROLL, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_2, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_3, etc. because the duplicates got deleted.
Thus, you end up with mountainhalls populated by Elves (offset 5), villages populated by Goblins (offset 6), forest retreats populated by Trolls (offset 7), and dark fortresses populated by Forgotten Beasts (offset 8 ).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:30:34 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8