Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Awesome Senators propose strict Net Neutrality bill  (Read 1430 times)

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Awesome Senators propose strict Net Neutrality bill
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:56 pm »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/01/senators-bash-telecom-oligarchs-drop-strict-net-neutrality-bill.ars

Yay!
Now, if the red idgits would stop trying to (or at least planning to) stall everything to death for a little bit, we might actually get going in the right direction with this!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Senators propose strict Net Neutrality bill
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:16:31 pm »

I'm not sure about banning throttling by APPLICATION.  It's well-recognized as good network management that priority traffic (say, real-time audio/video) should keep going at a steady rate even if someone starts torrenting stuff, and I'm fine with making my torrents go a little slower so that webpages go faster.

...But where do you draw the line between "good network management" and "going too far"?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:18:54 pm »

I'm not sure about banning throttling by APPLICATION.  It's well-recognized as good network management that priority traffic (say, real-time audio/video) should keep going at a steady rate even if someone starts torrenting stuff, and I'm fine with making my torrents go a little slower so that webpages go faster.

...But where do you draw the line between "good network management" and "going too far"?

You can't do quality control on the internet (or so my teacher said). So it's not an issue.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:55 pm »

I think that said ISPs can't throttle(or block) speeds if you're downloading from say, a (still legitmate) source other than one "favored" by the ISP.

It does sound like a nice bill.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:04 pm »

Awesome indeed, Bill.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:55 pm »

Sounds great.
[/post]

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:26 pm »

Interesting.  Let's see if this goes anywhere.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »

Yeah good old Al Franken, always taking a stand and defending the internet, or errr... something.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »

Comcast has done stuff like throttle torrent users to stop them from seeding, not because its good network management, but because they just don't like people using torrents (and downloading copyrighted stuff). Infact, whenever i turn on uTorrent, about a hour after i start downloading stuff, my internet goes down for a few hours, while comcast denies that they do anything, it is pretty good if they aren't allowed to do it at all.
It would also stop them from doing stuff like them not letting people watch videos online because it competes with their television service (which they don't do, but could if they really wanted to i think).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.