Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Cannibalism  (Read 14059 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibalism
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 05:25:03 pm »

The contrary is true. Donations have increased because it's cheaper than burial. I hear some places they even pay the families of donors.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

Most people who die don't exactly have the healthiest organs at the time.
So you can think of a way to get hearts from living donors?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 05:58:25 pm »

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »

Actually, he has a point: most donated organs are not salvageable. Sometimes compromises can be made, though, such as transplanting a couple of less-than-functional kidneys so that overall the filtration is good enough.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »

Well, yeah.  Not all organs can be donated.  Which is why we need to be all the more protective of the organs coming from people who died in ways that do not degrade their organs (generally traumatic accidents, sadly).

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »

Cannibalism is a taboo because we say it is. Of course there are many good reasons not to in the first place and the posture against it has been cultivated into humans for a very good reason but in a either I eat a person or die situation I would certainly do it if I had something to live for.

Here is a tricky question, What about eating an animal that ate a human? I ask this because in some situation of starvation it might come up. For instance if you are trapped on some island or boat you could potentially use fellow dead humans as bait for your hooks and such.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »

If the chips where down and I would die otherwise? Yeah I'd eat another human, we may like to pretend we're special, or in some cases we aren't special and no meat should be eaten, but in the end we're just meat, water, and electrical signals flying through the body, just like every other animal we eat.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »

I have a feeling starvation would eventually break all but the most strong-willed of people into resorting to extreme measures like cannibalism.

Although, if you are stuck on an island, lack of drinking water would probably kill you before you got that hungry.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 08:29:46 pm »

I have a feeling starvation would eventually break all but the most strong-willed of people into resorting to extreme measures like cannibalism.

Although, if you are stuck on an island, lack of drinking water would probably kill you before you got that hungry.

You could kill a man for his blood to drink.

I would pretty much only eat a human for my own survival. I would kill another man for my own survival also, if not especially.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 08:34:36 pm »

I recall hearing that drinking human blood, even your own, will kill you via iron overdose. I don't remember where I heard that, though...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »

There is a problem with disease.  Some tribes in Papua New Guinea had to stop due to a cerebral disease you get from eating brains.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »

No, you get it from eating infected people.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:07:50 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 09:08:51 pm »

There is a problem with disease.  Some tribes in Papua New Guinea had to stop due to a cerebral disease you get from eating brains.

Yeah, it's a horrific disease (someone earlier in this thread posted its name) which comes from eating human brains. It makes a lot of DF syndromes look like a nice way to go.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

I think I've been playing too much Space Station 13, because when I first read this, I was like, "Cannibalism is okay! We do it all the time!"

Then I realized that I was still in society, where cannibalism is not okay.
Also often called Boowells.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »

No, you get it from eating infected people.
Well, yeah, eating brains of infected people.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7