Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123886 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:14 pm »

The shark tank is really the next logical step.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »

The shark tank is really the next logical step.

Followed by a sea serpent cannon. Fire sea serpents at the elves!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »

When you assign a creature currently in a constructed cage to a chain, two jobs are generated:  removing the creature from its current cage, and placing it on the chain.  It seems to be random which of these jobs gets chosen by the dwarves first.  If releasing the creature gets picked first, a dwarf will grab an empty cage from a stockpile, go to the sea serpent cage and put the sea serpent in the cage.  This is bad, you do not want to let this happen, it will result in the sea serpent ending up in an animal stockpile nowhere near the chain.  When waiting for the serpent to be moved, I have to watch carefully for any dwarf heading towards the breeding chamber while carrying an empty cage and lock the door in his face to force him to cancel the job.
I would make some kind of antechamber to the breeding area and put a dummy lever in it. When an animal needs chaining, I'd order the call lever pulled on repeat and then lock in whatever dwarf shows up. Then that dwarf can do the chaining, but no one can get in with an empty cage.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 08:20:48 pm »

You, my friend, are a god. I am using your methods as we speak.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »

But can you farm Sea Monsters? (Is it even possible? I don't know.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »

But can you farm Sea Monsters? (Is it even possible? I don't know.)

If they can have, babies, i think yes. (I didn't found in they raws, if needed just add them the tag(s))
And it would be incredibly dwarfy!

Or better, add tag for making them trainable and create a system for training them into !! WAR SEA MONSTER !!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:31:53 pm by Lortath »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:54 pm »

Sea monsters have the CHILD tags, but you'll have to add [PET] to get them to actually breed.  They have [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1] so you'll need to embark across two evil ocean biomes to get two of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:03 pm »

Sea monsters have the CHILD tags, but you'll have to add [PET] to get them to actually breed.  They have [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1] so you'll need to embark across two evil ocean biomes to get two of them.
I imagine the untamed ones will be a far greater threat to the dwarves as well, being more combat-able than Sea Serpents (In theory at least, I have yet to encounter either creature.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:19 pm »

Hmm... Rare wild animals captured... Brought to an exotic facility... Captive breeding program...

IT'S DWARVEN SEA WORLD!!!

San Diego, eat your heart out! The Sea Serpent Shamu act should be amazing, but when they go rogue Ooof! Not pretty that.

Excellent Dwarveness, sir, simply excellent.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »

Hmm.... This thread's talk has inspired me to build a shark tank that I can dump liasons/sieges into....

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »

I imagine the untamed ones will be a far greater threat to the dwarves as well, being more combat-able than Sea Serpents (In theory at least, I have yet to encounter either creature.)
I ran them against each other in the arena. Monster killed serpent 3/3 times.Looks like the see monsters have more fight in them than see serpents.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 11:07:54 pm »

There needs to be a magmawiki entry on this. This is truly amazing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 06:56:11 am »

I ran them against each other in the arena. Monster killed serpent 3/3 times.Looks like the see monsters have more fight in them than see serpents.

[BODY:BASIC_2PARTBODY:BASIC_HEAD:UPPERBODY_PINCERS:REAR_BODY_FLIPPERS:TAIL:SIX_TENTACLES:2EYESTALKS:4EYES:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]

Death marked in red. Sea monsters are basically eldritch horrors.

Also, comparing average size-

Sea serpent:
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:200000]
[BODY_SIZE:20:0:9000000]

Sea monster:
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:8000000]

So sea serpents are somewhat larger, but sea monsters have many natural weapons. I think we need to see a sea monster fight a megabeast.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vindicated_Dorf120

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »

This thread inspired me to join the forum, simply to congratulate you on the sheer awesomeness of your breeding project. Well, okay, and to ask a question regarding a thought someone else had.. WOULD it be possible to tame and breed fire imps?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »

The dragon beet it but was severely injured except when they used fire breath.. Bronze colossus has some broken toes and fingers but other than that only a few dents.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:24:07 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12