Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123869 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2011, 04:53:53 pm »

Or perhaps attempt to dismantle the rope its attached to, as this will cause it to have the rope still "equipped" due to a small bug, not that the rope around the neck has any stat boost or anything.  But deconstructing a rope from a wild sea serpent is a bit of a challenge in itself!
This is actually pretty easy to do.  If I link a lever to the chain before attaching the sea serpent, then when I pull the lever the chain stays attached to the sea serpent.

Now the real interesting test to try would be to release a lot of Sea Serpents with attached chains, abandon the fortress, embark right next door on the same biome, and then see if any of the released serpents show up.

"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »

"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."
"...and placed into the revenge on elves species list."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:54 pm »

Wait, you can link a restraint to a lever?  Really?!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 05:28:33 pm »

This needs to be sigg'd.

Next time I tell anyone about Dwarf Fortress, I will link to this thread.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »

Wait, you can link a restraint to a lever?  Really?!
Yep, ropes and chains are a valid target to a lever or other trigger.  All of the sea serpent chains in my breeding facility have levers attached in case I need to move them.  The one annoying bit is that when you trigger it, the restraint stays attached to the neck of the released creature, which is helpful in this hypothetical case.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:03 pm »

I had no idea you could attach chains to levers!  This changes... I dunno, a few things!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2011, 01:39:53 am »

Maybe we could do the reverse then? The females are chained up right so they can't leave what about making it 2 tiles deep with a hatch bellow the 2nd. once you activate the hatch both will the female and the young will fall down 1  z-level but then the chain blocks the female from falling futher while the young falls down an extra z-level.

Something lik this
w=water
h=hatch (+water) c=chain
white space is wall
-=open space
wc
h
------------

now you will need a way by which you can quickly replace the water so you can add a reservoir above it.
something like this
w
w
h

wc
h
-
-----------

With this you should be able to air drown your target fairly well. One risk is that the fall does fall damage but maybe you can stop that by placing an annimal so that the sea serpent falls on that (for example a dog). In which case it might end up looking like this
g=grate
w
w
h

wc
h
-
cg----------

Still you are going to chain up sea serpents with this design. An alternatife might be by filling an area with floodgates and pumps something like this
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so that once you pull the lever all the floodgates appear except for the squares where there is a serpent. You can then pump out the squares where you wish to kill the serpents. Once you pull again you can quickly refill the lost water. This does require them to be more then 1 square away trough.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2011, 01:56:12 am »

Have you ever though of the possibility that the two first Sea Serpent could have been two males?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2011, 02:54:10 am »

Have you ever though of the possibility that the two first Sea Serpent could have been two males?

Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:21 am »

That's why I asked about whether they would be randomly generated again. If they don't, he would have been screwed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2011, 08:29:34 am »

As to the guy with the long post: He's not trying to kill the babies, he's trying to cage them and let them mature into more expensive adults.  Alternatively, would enough flowing water be able to push the babies away?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2011, 08:31:21 am »

Judging by Trapping Attempt #1, I'd say no.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2011, 08:37:44 am »

I thought about using flowing water to separate the hatchlings from the adult females, and did a few experiments.  What I discovered is that flowing water will also separate the adult females from the chains.  Chains and ropes in DF appear to work by mind control.  A creature which is attached to a restraint will never voluntarily move more than one tile away from the restraint.  However, any force which involuntarily moves the creature - flowing water, cave-in dust, recoil from being struck in combat, being flung by a bridge or having the floor removed from under it - will cause the creature to move as if the chain were doing nothing.  And when the creature is pushed more than one tile away from the chain, it will become detached from the chain.  So the chain only works to prevent the sea serpent from wandering away on her own.  Which works with the chained-up dogs behind a window, the hatchlings run away into the cage traps but the adult female won't leave the chain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2011, 08:54:16 am »

Huh, so I guess that derails my idea for goblin hanging posts.  I was gonna build short posts, with a chain on top, a goblin on the chain, and the chain dangling off the edge.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »

How about combining it with a lot of extra floodgates something like this

x=floodgate
c=cage trap

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

first you pull the lever on the first layer off floodgates to seperate them into easily controlable groups you then let them trough the next floodgate and into the cage traps (the second layer are all conected to a diffrend lever).
Remember that you can also use a system simmulair to what I proposed earlier to just kill the once you want and let the once you want to keep live without chains.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12