Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123883 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2011, 02:48:52 pm »

The problem is that the sea serpent hatchlings will whenever possible occupy the same tile as their mother, so they can't be separated floodgates that way.  You'll just end up with the sea serpents all on the same or adjacent tiles surrounded by closed floodgates.

It might be possible to take advantage of the fact that the mother moves first, and the hatchlings follow, and so close a floodgate just after the mother's gone by.  I'll have to do some testing along those lines.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

Except that the timing would have to be insanely tight to achieve this.  You might maybe be able to set up a pressure plate surrounded on all 8 sides with floodgates, so that anything that steps on it will lock itself in.  If you ensure that you have running water at all times, because floodgates destroy liquids, then eventually the mother will move faster and the child will be 2 steps back, and outside of the gate ring, or else the child grows up and starts moving alone onto one of the traps.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »

Oh sweet Armok.

What a thing of !!BEAUTY!!.

Now do it on two savage evil oceans so you can have sea serpents AND sea monsters.

...Crap, would it be possible for your only two of each to be zombie/skeletal instead of alive?  Do sea monsters even have bones?

And how effective would a skeletal sea monster be as a fortress defense?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2011, 10:48:11 pm »

It would be worth it for the sea monsters, really. They are made of murder and kill. They can maim dragons.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2011, 10:57:33 pm »

...Crap, would it be possible for your only two of each to be zombie/skeletal instead of alive?  Do sea monsters even have bones?
As far as I can tell, skeletal/zombie monsters do not draw from the normal biome population, but are simply generated in infinite numbers.  So if you are in an area with sea serpents or sea monsters, and are getting skeletal creatures, the skeletal sea monsters or sea serpents shouldn't count against the fixed populations from the biomes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:51 pm »

Can skeletal monsters be modded in some form to only appear after a certain population or wealth cap?  If they're infinite, then someone should up the spawn frequency and size of spawn, and align them to appear in increasingly harder creatures as more wealth is gained, resulting in Zombie Dragons.

Also, I haven't peeked into zombie raws, but I don't recall seeing any?  Can they be directly modded?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2011, 12:14:27 am »

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2011, 07:11:05 am »

On Evil biomes, isn't to possible to get only one of skeletal, zombie or evil creatures? IIRC, an evil biome with skeletons will never have zombies or evil monsters. So no skeletal Sea Monsters.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:17 am »

It's possible. The opposite is also possible.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:34 pm »

You don't disappoint, Sphalerite.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2011, 10:34:07 pm »

Since you seem to be some kind of super-villain already, I think you should consider a large aquarium tank directly underneath the throne room, filled with sea serpents and sharks.  Turn invasions back on, trap some goblins, and see if you can "make them talk."

Ngom Xunustslazu, Goblin Thief:  Do you expect me to talk?

Thikut Oslanniles, Duke:  No, Mister Xunustslazu.  I expect you to die.

pulls the lever

(Duke Thikut then proceeded to sleep with the elven diplomat.  Seriously, I'm not making that up.  He went from 'Pull Lever' to 'Sleep', and she joined him, remaining in his bed until he got up.  This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:07 pm »

It's about damn time!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »

This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »

This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

This quote right here is the essence of DF.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2011, 11:52:41 pm »

to paraphrase: "I built a goblin torture chamber and tested it. It was everything you could hope for."
You don't disappoint, Sphalerite.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12