Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123876 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 02:23:18 pm »

Getting the serpents up and running? seeing as they don't have elgs, it may be quite difficults. :P

ಠ_ಠ
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

Actually, it may be a while before I upgrade to a new version of DF.  I'm having trouble even getting 31.19 to generate a world without crashing.  I may wait till some of the bugs and issues have been cleaned up in 31.20 or later till I start a new fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2011, 04:00:25 pm »

Just read through this entire topic. Wow. You are an example to dwarfdom.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »

Op is a dwarf amongst mere goblins.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »

I have done some preliminary testing in the current version (31.19).

A captured untame female sea serpent released into a water-filled chamber full of nest boxes shows no interest in them.  Even when forced to move and stay on top of a nest box, she does not claim it or lay an egg.

I suspect that the egg-laying behavior doesn't work underwater, probably due to underwater nest boxes being unusable due to being underwater.  Which means that until this is fixed, sea serpents can't breed.

I'll try capturing a male sea serpent, but I doubt it'll make any difference.  Egg-laying creatures need a usable nest box, and underwater nest boxes aren't usable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »

What if you temporarily drain the water? Will the air-drowning serpent claim the nest and lay her eggs, giving you just enough time to refill her tank before she dies?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:52 pm »

What if you temporarily drain the water? Will the air-drowning serpent claim the nest and lay her eggs, giving you just enough time to refill her tank before she dies?
Doesn't seem to work.  I just tried it, had her directly on a nest box, drained the water till it was at 1/7 and she was drowning, then refilled it.  No claimed nest box, no sea serpent eggs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »

Doesn't seem to work.  I just tried it, had her directly on a nest box, drained the water till it was at 1/7 and she was drowning, then refilled it.  No claimed nest box, no sea serpent eggs.
If the water is what's causing the problem, you'd probably have to drain it to 0/7 to get results, but by that point the serpent would probably be dead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:39 pm »

I think at that point, the "Drowning" status would override the "Claim Nest" action, and you'd just have a floundering serpent.  That's a shame, I wanted mermaid egg farms too!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2011, 10:20:50 pm »

Set them to amphibious I guess? Dunno if it'd do anything but might be worth a try, if anything you can still drain it and see if they'll lay some eggs when they aren't drowning.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2011, 10:21:46 pm »

Then you'll have serpents rush up and attack your woodcutter and shit!  Which is fun in its own right, for sure.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »

Then you'll have serpents rush up and attack your woodcutter and shit!  Which is fun in its own right, for sure.
Look man, you know it and I know it, the woodcutters are screwed no matter what happens. With Amphibious Sea Serpents, at the very least their horrible, painful deaths can amuse us.

....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:48 pm »

....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

Can I sig this?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »

Words simply cannot describe the dwarfyness of this all. Hence:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2011, 06:04:26 am »

This is the BEST THING.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12