Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123875 times)

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2011, 06:29:01 am »

There is only ONE WAY this could be more dwarfy.

Mod them so they live in the magma sea. Then try and breed them.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2011, 07:25:24 am »

Just read this thread. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2011, 07:52:35 am »

When this thread was created, I made another thread asking about breeding a magma-only creature, but it appears that there are no tokens that make a creature survive only in magma.  Aquatic creatures will not breath magma and will drown, and amphibious creatures will leave it.  It seems to be impossible to make a creature that dies outside of magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2011, 10:14:35 am »

When this thread was created, I made another thread asking about breeding a magma-only creature, but it appears that there are no tokens that make a creature survive only in magma.  Aquatic creatures will not breath magma and will drown, and amphibious creatures will leave it.  It seems to be impossible to make a creature that dies outside of magma.
There might be a way to make them "die of cold" outside of magma...

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:08 am »

There might be a way to make them "die of cold" outside of magma...

because this is DF, amphibious creatures are still leaving magma even though they are dying. its like preventing your dwarves from gathering wood or plants outside while there are 2 squads of crossbow gobbos sieging

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2011, 10:21:03 am »

...amphibious creatures don't die outside of magma.  They're amphibious.  They breathe air.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:15 am »

because this is DF, amphibious creatures are still leaving magma even though they are dying. its like preventing your dwarves from gathering wood or plants outside while there are 2 squads of crossbow gobbos sieging

This means that a magma-creature farm needs to not only keep the creatures in magma, but prevent them from leaving the magma even if they want to, while still permitting them to breed and safely separating the children.  That's an interesting additional challenge.

...amphibious creatures don't die outside of magma.  They're amphibious.  They breathe air.

A creature modded to die when at a temperature below magma will die when it leaves the magma.  Unfortunately, the creature AI doesn't know this, so they'll leave the magma anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

Since magma creatures swim in magma (or at least all vanilla ones are able to) then you should be able to make a tall magma column, and lure the creatures to travel up it and into whatever area you've decided to breed them in.  Then, seal them in via hatches, and separate as normal.  The only huge requirement is to have a large magma reservoir above the breeding chamber, so that you can keep the fluid levels high.  A volcano or a very shallow map will be needed.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:02 am »

We need a [MAGMAPHILE] token
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »

This is awesome.  You, sir, win at the game.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »

How have I never seen this?

GREATEST THREAD EVER.

Sphalerite, you win a dwarven internet.

zx.pr0jk#

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblin Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:58 am »

Glorious, wonderful read. I'd seen the title on the thread list for a couple days now, and thought nothing of it since I'd already read about mermaid farming being impossible. Glad I decided to look in.

It gave me a little side inspiration though regarding that lever-chain "bug". Does that still exist in the current version? I'm thinking about putting chains on all of my naked captured invaders because of this thread. What exactly happens with that bug? Is the chain deconstructed and then in the creature's inventory? Or does it duplicate the chain into their inventory and leave the constructed chain on the floor? If I do that multiple times to the same goblin, will it have multiple ropes attached to it when released?

Can't wait till I cage my next Goblin Lawgiver. They always get a special "welcome".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51:24 am »

I rarely mess with chains, but apparently when you hook a creature to a chain, it adds an inventory to them, -Steel Chain- Neck.  When you remove the creature, then the inventory "item" disappears, but when you destroy the chain, the inventory slot remains.

This does, btw, inspire me about slaves.  Using Runesmith/DFusion, I'll make some captured individuals into my civ, but give them a nice chain around their neck as well.

Also, science demands the question - Will this chain provide any protection from attacks?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:51 am »

It gave me a little side inspiration though regarding that lever-chain "bug". Does that still exist in the current version? I'm thinking about putting chains on all of my naked captured invaders because of this thread. What exactly happens with that bug? Is the chain deconstructed and then in the creature's inventory? Or does it duplicate the chain into their inventory and leave the constructed chain on the floor? If I do that multiple times to the same goblin, will it have multiple ropes attached to it when released?

If you build a chain, link it to a lever, attach a creature to the chain, then pull the lever, the chain deconstructs but remains attached to the creature.  The same also happens if you chain up a creature then manually deconstruct the chain.  If you examine the creature you will find that the creature has the chain listed in its inventory, in the 'neck' position.  I don't know what happens with creatures that don't have a neck.  The chain does not get duplicated.  If you do this repeatedly, you can end up with a creature with multiple chains or ropes attached to its neck.

Also, science demands the question - Will this chain provide any protection from attacks?

A very interesting question.  I don't know the answer, someone should test this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zx.pr0jk#

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblin Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:35 am »

Since goblin Invaders don't(from what I can tell) break free of a Civy grip when transporting, is it as important to have the goblin stockpile adjacent to the chain?

Will it break loose during the chaining job? If chained successfully, will the Goblin immediately turn and attack the Dwarf in range(and any subsequent dwarves in range if say I put a goblin free range jail at my scorching entrance)? I don't have much experience with chains, but now plan to use them a great deal.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12