Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123892 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »

ususaly if you go down to the second and third cavern levels, and just lay cage traps everywere, and i mean everywere, youll eventualy get them :)

and yeah for the pathing issue thats why i decided: Drawbridge drop onto free spiders, since its just the young. That way: Meat, bones and web all in one go.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Stopkilling0

• Bay Watcher
  • FarmBaconFarmBacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06:52 am »

Took me forever to find something like this. And just wow. My ocean drain sieve thing didn't work either, but this is a work of art my friend. I will attempt to implement your ideas in the new version shortly... flooding the now working world with serpents, muhahaha!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »

Wow. This is goddamn amazing. People here make some crazy projects.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:36 am »

S-S-S-SSSUPPPPAAAHHH NECRO!

Honestly, the first 3 posts on this page are all from separate *YEARS*.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2013, 11:45:38 am »

That doesn't actually mean it's a necro. Also, who cares?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2013, 03:30:36 pm »

Oh since someone else decided to "necro" this one I just wanna say that this might be my favorite thread and it's the reason why I started playing Df in the first place <3
Among many great feats such as hunting whales with ballistas and abusing mermaids I still view this one as Sphalerites finest work of !!science!!  :D

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2013, 05:14:27 pm »

I believe that the fact that teaming Dr Bunsen Honeydew with The Swedish Chef & then providing them with hundreds of clones of Beaker (albiet all called "Urist" for some reason) is considered Best Practice was one of the original main selling points of this game for me.

The other one of course was "Dwarfputing".

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »

Lovely, lovely. Does this work in the current version?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2013, 11:02:56 pm »

Sea Serpents can't breed anymore since Toady made them lay eggs, because nest boxes are unusable when underwater.  If you mod Sea Serpents to not lay eggs, then you can still breed them.  I'm not sure how or if taming them works with the new taming rules, but you should be able to breed them without taming them.

That's as of 34.07 at least, I haven't gotten around to downloading and trying any more recent versions.  I'm still around, I just have very little time available for playing DF these days.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:01 am »

Sea Serpents can't breed anymore since Toady made them lay eggs, because nest boxes are unusable when underwater.  If you mod Sea Serpents to not lay eggs, then you can still breed them.  I'm not sure how or if taming them works with the new taming rules, but you should be able to breed them without taming them.
I believe you can tame them since dwarves will tame creatures in cages. Training them once they start to go wild again is impossible though, so make sure that you only tame young ones so they go straight to being permanently domestic.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2013, 06:29:41 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_%28Internet%29#Necrobumps

A couple points:

First, this link is now broken because the page on "Bump the Internet" (and the reference to "necrobumps" it contained) has been deleted. It seems like the editors at Wikipedia did not think it was factual or important enough.

Second, only 4 months passed between posts at the point you complain. This pales in comparison to the next page, where years pass. Posts literally jump from 2011 to 2012 to 2013.

Third, who cares? :P

S-S-S-SSSUPPPPAAAHHH NECRO!

Topics such as this and the I killed a bronze colossus, and you'll never guess how thread are simply too awesome to confine to a silly "necrobumping" rule.

I think we should be able to post to pay homage to the sheer dwarfy epicness of these historical achievements! To deny that is to deny our inner dwarf.

I'm not the only one to feel that way. And, frankly, it'd be a shame to see topics like this remain buried under newer topics and forgotten, where newer DF players might never see them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:52:18 pm by Thundercraft »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »

@Thundercraft
And that's why we have the hall of legends.
Or did I fail to understand the purpose of your post?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2013, 08:25:02 pm »

Unfortunately you cannot breed sea monsters as they have no genders. Also you can flood the enclosed, elf-filled trade depot and release the sea serpents. If the water doesn't get them, THE SEA SERPENTS WILL!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2013, 06:04:38 am »

I don't think that this is a forum where "necro!" is pejorative :)  I've had a good time looking far back in the past, and love seeing the best threads resurrected occasionally.

Definitely, Sphalerite is the kind of person who most often takes the form of a male dwarf, and is associated with oceans and fire.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:47 am »

This is old, and this is awesome. 

I have a question.  I wanna make a Captain Ahab-esque spear user, and have him fight titanic battles with creatures from the depths of the ocean.  But the ocean seems empty.  How do you find sea serpents, whales, sharks, and stuff? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12