Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 124802 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:01 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_%28Internet%29#Necrobumps

A couple points:

First, this link is now broken because the page on "Bump the Internet" (and the reference to "necrobumps" it contained) has been deleted. It seems like the editors at Wikipedia did not think it was factual or important enough.

Second, only 4 months passed between posts at the point you complain. This pales in comparison to the next page, where years pass. Posts literally jump from 2011 to 2012 to 2013.
So you learned that 1) the importance of things on the Internet can change over time, and 2) people listened to me when I was posting? What's your point?

S-S-S-SSSUPPPPAAAHHH NECRO!

Topics such as this and the I killed a bronze colossus, and you'll never guess how thread are simply too awesome to confine to a silly "necrobumping" rule.

I think we should be able to post to pay homage to the sheer dwarfy epicness of these historical achievements! To deny that is to deny our inner dwarf.

I'm not the only one to feel that way. And, frankly, it'd be a shame to see topics like this remain buried under newer topics and forgotten, where newer DF players might never see them.
Like slowpokez said, there is the Hall of Legends, and I believe there is a link to this thread on the wiki. And the only proper way to pay homage to historical achievements is to do even greater achievements. Just placing a "Like" is kinda lame, don't you think so too?

This is old, and this is awesome. 

I have a question.  I wanna make a Captain Ahab-esque spear user, and have him fight titanic battles with creatures from the depths of the ocean.  But the ocean seems empty.  How do you find sea serpents, whales, sharks, and stuff? 
If you want sea animals to arrive, you have to stop land animals from arriving. Either you can hunt land animals to extinction, which can take a while, or you block off all land borders with drawbridges or similar.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2013, 06:19:30 am »

I'm in adventure mode.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:45 am »

I'm in adventure mode.
In that case I have no idea. Never seen a sea creature in adventure mode before.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2013, 10:34:49 am »

I have a question.  I wanna make a Captain Ahab-esque spear user, and have him fight titanic battles with creatures from the depths of the ocean.  But the ocean seems empty.  How do you find sea serpents, whales, sharks, and stuff?

In fortress mode, or in adventure mode?  In fortress mode, sea creatures and land creatures compete against the same limit of how many creature groups can be one the map at a time, and (above-ground) land creatures seem to be greatly favored when the game is deciding what to spawn next.  To get more sea creatures, you need to prevent land creatures from spawning.  Either hunt all land creatures to extinction, or block all the surface map edges with raised bridges so nothing can spawn on land.  In adventure mode?  I don't know, didn't play it long enough to learn the spawn rules that well, but I expect it would help to learn to swim very well and then spend a long time swimming far enough from land that the game isn't tracking any land animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2013, 03:09:53 pm »

And that's why we have the hall of legends.
Or did I fail to understand the purpose of your post?

Honestly, I don't recall hearing about The Hall of Legends until now.

After searching and finding it, I see why. It's located in the DF Community Games & Stories area. I hardly ever read that portion.

Like slowpokez said, there is the Hall of Legends, and I believe there is a link to this thread on the wiki.

It's nice there's a link on the wiki. But a player would have to stumble across that by happenstance. And they can't ask new questions about how to find Sea Serpents/Monsters on the wiki. They can't discuss sea serpent farming there at all. Anyway, it's not the same as having important threads like this occasionally float up in unread posts or new replies. And since my post, several others have joined in to ask or answer questions on the subject.

So you learned that 1) the importance of things on the Internet can change over time, and 2) people listened to me when I was posting? What's your point?

Wikipedia deleted it and I thought it was self-evident why: They did not think the concept was valid or important enough. And I feel the same way.

If a topic starter asks that a thread be "retired", I respect that. Though, so far, we have not seen Sphalerite make such a request with this thread. It's his project, so don't you think it should be his choice?

I try to avoid necro-bumping just because it is either frowned upon or against rules on many forums. But, it's always puzzled me. I've never understood why some people make such a big deal of that. Are they offended that other people wanted to continue a topic after they've had their say? Or is it that they hate having to sort through the updated topics list?

...And the only proper way to pay homage to historical achievements is to do even greater achievements. Just placing a "Like" is kinda lame, don't you think so too?

Says who?

There's plenty of friendly rivalry and an eagerness to share in this community and there's nothing wrong with that. But to tell others that the only "proper" way to show appreciation of someone's achievement is to try and outdo them and boast about it... don't you think that is kind of lame?

I don't see anything wrong with telling someone, "Hey, that's awesome!", "Nice work!" or even "That's incredibly dwarfy!" When someone does something like this, especially share the details of their experiments and going to lengths to help others, I think they deserve a congratulations - even if it comes belatedly.

To be honest, I first read this topic about 2 years ago. But while I found it fascinating reading, at the time I hadn't bothered to post my appreciation. That was the main reason for my post, to correct this.

And if it wasn't inferred by what I've already said:
Nice work, Sphalerite! This was brilliant stuff!  :D

But I also felt the need to voice my disapproval of criticizing the resurrection of this thread.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:08:40 pm by Thundercraft »

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2013, 06:42:42 pm »

It's a masterwork thread, why lose it?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2013, 01:58:23 am »

I've had my own issues with (mostly unnecessary) necros regarding my megaproject, for simple, and most of the time pointless, posting. I actually bugged me quite a bit because I thought somebody was contributing something like their own ship, either modifying my model, or based on it or something; or even tips on how to do it more efficiently or whatever.

Nope, instead I was commented on how I pre-built it with lego, and that was all. And another lame question (which was already addressed in posts not too much earlier from it) was asked necroing it again. Once more, I felt misled. I addressed it in my own way, making a notification post, and leading to it from the OP for anyone new and old to see.

Personally, I was getting tired of my project being revived without any contributions, and left an ultimatum. Another pointless necro, and I lock the thread for good, and might not even take on the sequel while at it. Basically ensuring the next time it gets necro, it will be relevant, or contributing to the subject. Kinda rude on my part, but I had to address the problem my own way.

Here's the link to my post I made regarding the unnecessary necro problem if you're interested: Link
Think I was being a bit harsh with that post?

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2013, 04:21:19 am »

Maybe just a bit. There's a difference between pointlessness and appreciation--and with a post like that you're just asking for human perversity, too. I had to stop myself from posting to ask something stupid just because I was told not to, and not everyone has a brain-to-mouth (hand?) filter.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2013, 11:27:13 am »

I'm in adventure mode.
In that case I have no idea. Never seen a sea creature in adventure mode before.
He should make an Atlantean fortress, fill it with sea monsters, then explore it in adventure mode.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2013, 12:18:48 am »

I've been asked to come in here regarding overall thread necro policy.  Generally, I'd appreciate it if people didn't bump threads if they don't have something meaningful to contribute.  Sometimes that's just a matter of politeness, as in the case where the poster is the only one that thinks a topic is important, and annoyingly bumps it over and over.  For the more popular topics, there's still a lot of potential for trouble when the last posts are from years before -- people start to unwittingly quote them and continue long dead discussions, asking questions of posters that stopped looking long ago, and this leads to actual problems sometimes, especially if there's any room for offense in the old posts.  If you've got a related question to ask about a thread like this, it might be best to post your new thread and link the old one, but there's an awful large grey area, which is why people generally only get warnings for really egregious cases where they are obviously posting for attention or whatever.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2013, 09:30:43 pm »

All hail the toad!

. . . is there any chance of underwater nest boxes working for underwater animals at some point, by the way?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »

I would hope a thread like this is relatively safe and harmless to necropost. For some creators of old, venerable threads (like myself ^_^) it's nice to see your old thread bumped again by new pilgrims!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]