Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Superweapon Idea  (Read 5357 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Superweapon Idea
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:39:20 am »

I love the Orbital Magma Cannon, but it takes ages to build one due to the difficulty in getting magma up there.

But I thought of one other crazy thing you can do:  you can build floors, connected to a causeway above by a support that you can use to cause a controlled cave-in on any part of the map.  Initially, they'll have to be supported by another section of floor, but you can remove that once you have the support ready.  Just don't drop them on your fort.

Now I just have to build this....

I wonder what would happen if you dropped one that was as big as the entire map?  "A section of the cavern sky has collapsed."
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Superweapon Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:44:29 am »

This is done already, namely with the "glass sky" idea.  In order to deal with cave adaption, you build a tower way up, and then a glass floor over the map.  As an added bonus, you can collapse the whole thing if needed!  It literally clears out the entire surface of life, and leaves a lot of dust and broken glass.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:52:56 am »

Noble: Yay, a lever!!! (pulls lever) OH GOODY!!! GLOBAL APOCALYPSE!!!     :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:54:54 am by GamerKnight »
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:02:18 am »

Noble: Yay, a lever!!! (pulls lever) OH GOODY!!! GLOBAL APOCALYPSE!!!     :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:12:58 am »

Yeah, but I don't know how to cause cave collapse. Nothing I do will cause it unless it has zero connections to anything else.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:17:13 am »

Currently working on a !!Dwarven Magma Beam Cannon!!

In other words, I'm seeing how much pressure I can get into a magma reservoir using pumps and a ton of z-levels with the intention of hooking it up to a single floodgated "barrel" and blasting an OH GOD WTF stream of it at my enemies.

Will post results.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:27:02 am »

Yeah, but I don't know how to cause cave collapse. Nothing I do will cause it unless it has zero connections to anything else.
That is exactly the sole condition that will cause a cave-in.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:30:49 am »

This is done already, namely with the "glass sky" idea.  In order to deal with cave adaption, you build a tower way up, and then a glass floor over the map.  As an added bonus, you can collapse the whole thing if needed!  It literally clears out the entire surface of life, and leaves a lot of dust and broken glass.

A shame broken glass doesn't cut...
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:51:15 am »

Hey, does alcohol explode? I had an idea for a Dwarven Strike Team reclaiming a fortress by blowing walls and doors with alcohol-based C4.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:41 am »

Hey, does alcohol explode? I had an idea for a Dwarven Strike Team reclaiming a fortress by blowing walls and doors with alcohol-based C4.

Yes, but I don't think it destroys doors, and definitely not walls (nothing destroys walls except picks or deconstruction).

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 03:02:34 am »

Aaawww.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:51:13 am »

That wouldn't work, but this does:

Have your entrance path through a beer storage area. Next to the beer storage is fortifications. On the other side of the fortifications is a dragon or other fire-breather. FUN.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 11:54:59 am »

Alcohol merely boils, and Toady hasn't implemented gas pressure yet. IIRC he actually decreased the lethality of gases such as steam.

I've started fires to burn down wooden doors in adventure mode. The doors were closed at the time, but were ignited by an adjacent "fire". Magma won't do the trick.

I'm currently working on erupting a volcano. I also plan on forcing the eruption through underground tubes to several spots on my map. See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Vattic/Mechanical_Volcano_Explained for someone else's project that inspired me.

If we get moving fortress sections in the future, I want to build an orbital cave-in (obsidian) cannon/rapid prototyping machine.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:15:53 pm »

Hook it to a support.  The support can attach a section of floor to something *above* it.  Then attach the support to a lever, flip the lever, and drop the floor.

--------------------------------+ Top level of tower
   (support) I                  |
--------------------  ----------| Scaffolding.  Build the floor under the support from here
                                | and then unlink it once the support is hooked to a lever.
                                |
(death zone)                    | When you pull the lever, the support vanishes, dropping the floor onto the death zone.
--------------------------------+

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

However, it is possible to use cave-in mechanics to push magma up without using pumps. With lots of dwarvengineering, you could get magma anywhere without any pumps at all.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: [1] 2