Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.  (Read 46076 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »

Salem. Salem is paradoxes new MMORPG planned for 2011.

its based around H.P.Lovecraft and a few other things. and is about you colonizing the new world. you can create your own business house or start a farm as well as other things. Also when you die your dead for good ( which im not to sure about but it might work) and you can also get involved with witch craft which sounds cool. Aswell as maiming other players :D.

EDIT: also i think its being created by the guys who made us Haven and hearth

not much on it but sounds good.

Few newsy things about it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/24/the-paradox-convention-preview-blowout/

http://kotaku.com/5739362/there-is-real-death-in-this-video-game

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32585/Paradox_Announces_Salem_FreeToPlay_MMORPG_With_Permadeath.php
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:41:39 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:42:38 pm »

Huh, I remember H&H. I hope this has SOME sort of skill cap. H&H was ruined because it didn't have it.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »

I don't have a lot of faith in this game and here's why
Permadeath in an MMO RPG

From the makers of Haven and Hearth

I predict nothing but constant gank.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:16:30 pm »

I think perma death could be done in an MMORPG. Just not so sure about perma death in a low-tech, low-magic setting and with much grinding. Somehow I expect the combat to allow you to easily run away.

But I dunno, I'm still curious about this. Not so sure about the cutesy graphics this is supposed to have, though.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:20:42 pm »

yes but also players will moderate their own towns and stop griefers from killing lower levels. 

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »

I don't for one second believe the community moderating itself will work out. This all depends on some imaginary scenario where people work together for the greater good which I've never really seen happen.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »

yeah but in the end you will just see lynch mods of people sick of other people killing people all the time. also i think the community could manage its self, they do it in haven and hearth :p

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:41:10 pm »

yeah but in the end you will just see lynch mods of people sick of other people killing people all the time. also i think the community could manage its self, they do it in haven and hearth :p

HnH is a relatively small community though, this is backed by a publisher and all that and already getting more press than HnH ever has. Combine that with Free to Play and Permadeath and it will be a bad mix.

That said I'll still look at it. I'm not a big fan of PvP in /any/ scenarios where I don't have much control of when or where it happens though. Not a fun game, just a chore in my mind. Why is it that every game with intricate crafting (except for ATITD which has no combat system at all) is tied to openPvP? Very odd.

Also yah, those graphics are fucking horrendous, they would be far better off sticking with 2D if that is the best they can do for character art. And the land looks completely flat, ugh.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:41:26 pm »

I don't for one second believe the community moderating itself will work out. This all depends on some imaginary scenario where people work together for the greater good which I've never really seen happen.

You should try playing die2nite.

It's not the way it always goes, but it's damn satisfying when you do have a good town (like the Wooden Theatre of on High :))

Provided the mechanics are there to deal with griefers, I don't see why this can't happen.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:43:23 pm »

I played Die2Nite extensively. Every other town got griefed.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »

I'm just saying that co-operation within an online gaming community is not quite as rare as your previous post suggested.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »

Die2nite is a bad example about how permadeath could work. When you die in die2nite you have maybe 2 hours played time invested and you expect to die anyways. I had probably 20 or 30 into my HnH character before I gave up on him.

The whole "community polices itself thing" is silly too. It takes much less time to build up a character for the purpose of griefing than it does to develop a character for the purpose of surviving. If you have a group that just trains up griefiers they probably do it efficiently enough that they don't really notice when you take one of them out.

What is needed is some sort of mechanic to let the community rebuild what ever was lost. For example, in HnH if your town gets raided there could be a mechanic to "rebuild everything" where you just pile up the ingredients and invest a bunch of time and everything comes back. Maybe in a game like this it could be a group of 5 bringing you back to life.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:07:39 pm »

If we get to perma-kill christians, I'm in.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »

I'm christian and I am offended by that. BANHAMMER! :D jk

I'm actually looking forward to this. Might lead to a bit of Mafia style gameplay with Witchhunts.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »

If we get to perma-kill christians, I'm in.

"There is only two types of people I can't stand. Those intolerant of other cultures and the Dutch."

What makes you think it is okay to say or think stuff like this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21