Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.  (Read 46078 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2012, 08:05:27 am »

in a couple of days they are letting in another huge batch of players who sign up on their site.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 07, 2012, 02:14:22 pm »

Yep. I just received a new key again. PM me if you want it.

Edit: And it's gone.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:01:25 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:59 pm »

and here is one Your key is: SALM-a69d-70ce-7e15-c266-dd04

MMORPG is giving them out @ http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/582/view/news/read/26002/Salem-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html  but that site is the biggest pile of sub-human crap I have ever witnessed. Makes 4chan look like Mother Theresa

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2012, 07:32:06 pm »

and here is one Your key is: SALM-a69d-70ce-7e15-c266-dd04

MMORPG is giving them out @ http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/582/view/news/read/26002/Salem-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html  but that site is the biggest pile of sub-human crap I have ever witnessed. Makes 4chan look like Mother Theresa
Which part of 4chan?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2012, 10:26:38 am »

7.5k keys left. This looks quite an interesting game, so i'll give it a shot.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/388/Salem-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html

Edit: The current ingame community seems very rude to new players. Just spamming calling anyone who hasn't played before noobs(they neglect to remember that they were noobs once too) Maybe i just picked a bad place to land, i'm in plymoth atm. Very rude and unhelpful people like this will just put off potential players and income for the Salem devs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:11:04 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2012, 11:08:32 am »

They're also releasing 200 key every 12 hours on the official site.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2012, 01:35:56 pm »

So... I snagged one of the keys. I really should have done a blind let's play because I am sure it would have been indicative of the the first 3 hours anyone spends in game and it was full of "game trolls you moments".

Anyways, I left Boston and my goal was to find maple leaves and Autumn grass. I saw hundreds of what appeared to be maple trees, but when I right clicked on them I didn't get the option to get a leaf. Now, I've played HnH so I understand that trees can run out of leaves. Logic/graphics aside, this is no big deal. The problem is there is no indication if this is the correct kind of tree and out of leaves, the correct tree and I lack skills, or the incorrect type of tree entirely. I also saw a few clumps of grass...... all inaccessible on small slopes. FUUUUUUUUU. When I finally found everything I needed the Tutorial suggested I fast travel back to Boston... which wasn't possible because I didn't have a homestead (getting one is the NEXT step of the tutorial)

These interface/confusion issues continued. Fatigue, for instance, is handled by 4 humors. Each humor has a bar. Mouse over any of the bars and you get a tool tip listing the values for all the bars. This doesn't tell you anything about the convoluted system.

Anyways, not that any of this is bad for an alpha. Bad tutorials and bad interfaces can be fixed.

My main issue with the game, so far, is some of the systems that have changed between HnH and Salem. The humor system, for instance, is so much worse than than the stat system of HnH. Simply put, now you have 4 stats and those stats are consumed by doing specific tasks. They recharge by eating. When you are full you can over eat to increase the stats.

Again, logic aside, the system just isn't a great one for a game. It isn't displayed well and it isn't intuitive. The stats don't logically relate to anything. What the hell is black blood? How do I increase my black blood? Do I need to? WHY IS THE BAR GREEN!? It all takes reading and digging into the game.

Another bad system change is the fast travel one. Unless I am missing something you can no longer fast travel with anything in your inventory. You can't just wander off, collect curos or food, teleport back, and drink your self happy again. Why not?

Finally, the field of view does not work for a 3d game. It is so frustrating to walk for 30 seconds only to realize this path is a dead end.

Some of the changes I do like is that death from non players isn't perma death any more. You lose stats and that is no fun, but you get to keep your character and home.

I also like the homestead situation. It may have been dumb luck, but I needed up in a pretty quiet area.

Overall I think the same things that were enjoyable in HnH will be fun here, but it does not seem like they have addressed some of the most basic issues. Then again, it is still in Alpha.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:17 pm »

Reviving this thread to say, a lot of stuff has changed, it's in open beta, anyone given it another shot?

I have, a lot of the issues seem to have been resolved (although it's still a little shabby around the edges). Notably the humor system now gives you a preview of what each food will give you when you gluttony eat it, which is a huge step up. Leaves respawn very randomly on trees, the combat system is..... still very clunky although as a nice thing to say about it, it's much easier to get into then HnH. From what I hear farming is tons better then in HnH? IE it's more then "take best quality seeds, plant, complain about low quality soil". There are more inspirationals, making some of those harder to get skills a bit easier. It's definitely improved rather significantly in my eyes.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:39 pm »

Reviving this thread to say, things don't look great. Paradox is dropping it and letting the two man dev team take it and operate it on their own without any help or $ from paradox. I wish I could be more optimistic, but nothing about this game has turned out well. http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/15/paradox-interactive-drops-salem-seatribe-to-continue-developmen/

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 15, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »

Interesting. i guess its a rare thing that a publisher just let the developer keep the IP and any future revenue (i presume).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 15, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »

Which means they don't see any potential revenue in keeping the IP. They probably don't want the backlash, however small, from shutting the game down. So the lowest cost solution is to just let the whole thing go.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #311 on: June 15, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »

I don't think they let it go, at least in that way actually, it's just like paradox will not be involved in development anymore, it's still running the cash shop through it and presumably still funding it? I dunno for sure, everything is very odd. I know for a fact they're still running a cash shop through it, but I dunno if they're still funding it. I would think they would be if the cash shop is still active.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 15, 2013, 06:20:55 pm »

I don't think they let it go, at least in that way actually, it's just like paradox will not be involved in development anymore, it's still running the cash shop through it and presumably still funding it? I dunno for sure, everything is very odd. I know for a fact they're still running a cash shop through it, but I dunno if they're still funding it. I would think they would be if the cash shop is still active.

My understanding is that in 10 days or so they will have ZERO involvement. I don't see why the cash shop would still exits through them when they are not publishing, hosting, developing or offering support for it. It is an odd situation and I am sure the team of 2 devs will let us all know soon.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 16, 2013, 10:07:08 am »

very nice idea and all but i don't understand why they made the skill system so heavy and complex. i tried it for a couple hours but was discouraged by the obligatory grinding that was impossible to understand without the wiki and apparently amounted to dozens of hours(according to the same wiki) before you were "able" to actually play.

especially considering the inclusion of permadeath. grinding is bad enough on its own, but coupled with permadeath it just makes no sense. permadeath'd games shouldn't force you to hours of grinding when you can lose them in minutes.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #314 on: June 16, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »

Honestly I think the kind've.... horrid graphical style killed it for me more then anything. It's just not nice to look at, which is a big deal for an exploraton based game. The darkness seemed okay but it's also miles away and hard to get into. ALso there's not really a lot of neat things to find.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]