Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Creature Breeding  (Read 921 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Magma Creature Breeding
« on: January 25, 2011, 05:27:25 pm »

Alright, we've got mermaid breeding, and sea serpent breeding, and now bigfoot!  We're covering all the major myths and big hurdles, like "how do I keep this animal alive without airdrowning?"

Next, magma creatures.  I don't mean creatures that crawl out of magma and onto your cage traps, but rather, creatures that swim in magma similar to carp, and will airdrown/cooldown while out of magma.  This means, of course, that any capture chamber will need to be fireproof, possibly magmaproof, including the cage traps to secure them, since this will be similar to serpent catching but several magnitudes more Fun.  It also means that you cannot mod your dwarves to be immune to heat damage, and you cannot disable temperature, as this is cheating and no Fun.

Second, are there any actual magma-only creatures?  If no, it may be needed to change carp (preferably carp, possibly other or new type of creature) to live solely in magma, and include the [PET] token, although no actual taming should be done.

The gauntlet has been thrown.  Discuss.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Creature Breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »

BREEDING THREADS EVERYWHERE

I don't think there are any magma-only critters. Maybe magma crabs could be modded to be such.

EDIT: I don't think magma-breathers can even be modded in. It looks like all magma critters swim through [NOBREATHE]. I'll try giving magma crabs [AQUATIC] and report back after some arena testing.

EDIT2: Magma Crab 1 has drowned.

It seems that the only way to have creatures swim in magma is to give them NOBREATHE, which defeats the purpose of AQUATIC.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:36:31 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Creature Breeding
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:17 pm »

What about something dealing with temperature?  Can you set them to have a near-magma homeotherm and make them take temperature damage quickly?