Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Children  (Read 1215 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Modding Children
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:02:05 pm »

I've been thinking about the various breeding programs and modding capacities, and it's brought to me a question.  What part of the raws defines child stats, like the frequency of breeding, the number of children per pregnancy, and the maturation age of the children into adults (or infants into children into adults)?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Modding Children
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:06:30 pm »

This should really go in the modding subforum.

Frequency of breeding seems to be fixed - about once a year for all creatures.  Presumably at some point in the future Toady will put in variable gestation times.

Number of children per pregnancy is 1-3 normally.  Creatures with the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag almost always have only one child.  There's also a LITTERSIZE tag which can be used to set other litter sizes, but as far as I know no creature in the default game uses it.

The BABY and CHILD tokens set the age at which a creature goes from a baby to a child, and a child to an adult.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:11:25 pm »

Oh, right, modding forums, derp...

Regardless, with the coming eggs as talked about on the main site's front page, I wanna toy with dragons a little, and try and get them to lay about an egg every 5 years, which can be put on a pedestal as room-improving furniture or otherwise manipulated.  Possibly also change the aging time to something like 50 years so that I can, theoretically, breed dragons in a realistic timeframe.

Any general thoughts?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 04:12:43 pm »

It all depends on how eggs are implemented.  Toady hasn't leaked how the tags will work yet, so whether eggs will act like immobile babies or what is anyone's guess.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:16:45 pm »

I'm going on the assumption that unfertilized eggs will be an option, considering that chickens can provide pretty awesome food source.  Now if we just get a token for rate of childbirth and rate of unfertilized eggs...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »

As a bump, sorta, you can mod a creature to be immobile, right?  Is it possible to have a baby creature of 1 part, the "Egg" part, which is immobile, and it later grows into a fully formed chicken or such?

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:27 pm »

The chicken couldn't move.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »

The IMMOBILE_LAND tag is apparently broken anyway. The only reason why fish, for instance, can't move on land is because they immediately start drowning. Fishy creatures that don't start drowning, like zombie whales for instance, can slither about on land as they please. You could probably make them incredibly slow by giving them a crazy-high raw speed, but I hear that just makes them sit still for a little bit before they move at lightspeed for a few steps before pausing for a while.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!