Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I want a fortress populated only by ghosts  (Read 5192 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want a fortress populated only by ghosts
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »

For the purposes of facilitating dwarven communications, all instances of the word "to" have been replaced with the word "magma".

Basically, I want every dwarf magma be a ghost. My dwarves haven't killed themselves (yet) but will the fortress allow me magma play with every dwarf a ghost, or am I required magma have one dwarf alive? I assume that I will not be able magma control the ghosts themselves. The wiki doesn't help a great deal; can ghosts do jobs, or chat with other dwarves (without disturbing them), or level up skills?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: I want a fortress populated only by ghosts
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:34:52 pm »

You need a living beard.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:50:58 pm »

Ghosts can only flaot around, Yes you need at the least one dwarf alive. And I heard somewhere, Not sure if this is true dwarfs will kill adventurers...
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:54:28 pm »

Actually, dwarven ghosts may be able magma perform jobs. There was a thread the other day about how a ghostly fisherdwarf continued magma fish, leaving a pile of fish next to himself as he did so. However, I am unsure of how the thread concluded.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »

Actually, dwarven ghosts may be able magma perform jobs. There was a thread the other day about how a ghostly fisherdwarf continued magma fish, leaving a pile of fish next magma himself as he did so. However, I am unsure of how the thread concluded.
Fixed.
くコ:彡

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn. And you have no idea how awkward it felt trying to replace words in my head as I went. Bolded your replacement in the spoiler to highlight my failure as a dwarf.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn. And you have no idea how awkward it felt trying magma replace words in my head as I went. Bolded your replacement in the spoiler magma highlight my failure as a dwarf.
-_-
くコ:彡

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:08 pm »

So magma play in a ghost fortress, I have magma leave at least one dwarf alive.

Perhaps it would be possible magma deliberately get a dwarf killed, and hope that he comes back as a ghost. Is it possible magma set professions for ghosts (after the dwarf dies of course)? I'd imagine not, but I may as well ask.

!!Science!! must be done!

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »

I don't believe so. I think they leave your control. It also seems that the circumstance of their death and their mood when they die both have an effect on what type of ghost they come back as.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:38:30 pm »

I don't believe so. I think they leave your control. It also seems that the circumstance of their death and their mood when they die both have an effect on what type of ghost they come back as.

So if they die magma magma, I could get... an Avatar of Armok ghost?

Toady please implement.

Also, can ghosts walk through water/magma/walls? Can they fight (sieges), and can they 'die'?

Sivere

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly Unhinged
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »

I remember a thread where a ghost was still able magma a party.

I always leave the corpses magma rot, or channel out the square where the corpse lies and construct a floor over it, if possible (migrants and an ambush).

One of my forts had about 15 ghosts, give or take, and none of them did anything productive in all the time they haunted the fortress. Which, I suppose, makes them only slightly more useless than idlers.

I don't know if any memory editing software is available for .18 by now, but you might want magma give it a shot. I think that ghosts sometimes confuse Dwarf Therapist, so you might also want magma check if you can assign them jobs this way.

Also, I think that you can't continue playing if all your dwarves are dead even if some of them have become ghosts. Can't remember for sure if I ever had a fort that fell while it was being haunted by a ghost, though.

Ghosts in my fort usually flicker between z-levels at huge speeds, often around a place where they spent a lot of time whilst alive, or where they died. Popular spots include the magma sea, vicinity of walls (or even inside them) on the surface and workshops. This means that you might want magma build some kind of deathtrap deep inside your fort, in an effort magma control wher they appear. I recommend not using the meeting hall or any place near it for this purpose, since you'll get a lot of unhappy thoughts from all the ghost floating around the fort. A great meeting hall will save your fortress, so you will need some artifact and masterpiece furniture and engravings magma assure the continued existence of your necropolis.

I have a project somewhere on the backburner magma start killing migrants once I hit 80 dwarves, magma see if number of ghosts is limited, and how much of a hit will FPS take with more ghosts than dwarves in the fort.

As a side note, has anyone ever tried magma mod Goblins so that they rise as ghosts when they die?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:55:45 pm by Sivere »
Dwarfs will have access to the internet in version .99.99, when even Toady cannot push the game further. They will then discover the Bay12 Games website, creating an infinitely recursive chain of realities that will eventually reach critical mass and coalesce into DF 1.0, emerging from their web-based cocoon like some kind of meme-encrusted chrysalis.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

Ghosts in my fort usually flicker between z-levels at huge speeds, often around a place where they spent a lot of time whilst alive, or where they died. Popular spots include the magma sea, vicinity of walls (or even inside them) on the surface and workshops. This means that you might want magma build some kind of deathtrap deep inside your fort, in an effort magma control wher they appear. I recommend not using the meeting hall or any place near it for this purpose, since you'll get a lot of unhappy thoughts from all the ghost floating around the fort. A great meeting hall will save your fortress, so you will need some artifact and masterpiece furniture and engravings magma assure the continued existence of your necropolis.

Thank you, fellow dwarf. Wear your magma beard with pride.

Regarding the above quote; a death trap is obligatory in any self-respecting fortress, but how does this help control where ghosts appear? Is it a ghostly, dwarven addiction magma magma?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 09:17:12 pm »

Ghosts are attracted magma the place where they died.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 10:20:18 pm »

Ghosts are attracted magma the place where they died.

Ah, so the suggestion of a death trap would only be if I wanted magma control where the dwarf would become a ghost.

Perhaps an external death trap magma attack sieges...
Pages: [1] 2