Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceramics?  (Read 1115 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Ceramics?
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:09:06 am »

I've been away since early September... So did I miss anything?  (heh.) Around that time, I had my main hard drive fail, and my computer was out of commission for about the month, and even when I got it back, the data loss and needing to reset all my custom settings put me more in the mood to play Playstation than deal with computer things.  Then there's Christmas, and having another half-dozen new games to complete before I have free time again.

Anyway, I'd sort of burned out due to frustration over some of the arguments going on at that time, and was a little hesitant to come back right away, anyway, since I knew it would take up so much of my time to be involved in these forums, and wanted to do something else with my time, and focus more on other parts of my life, so I stayed away a while. (I actually had to get to writing an unbelievably long wall of text talking about some indie game I bought from Steam, and how to improve the game to realize how much I missed arguing with you guys. - awwwww.)

Now, I come back, and am trying to get on with the extremely intimidating task of trying to catch up after falling behind on information on these forums that generate more text than you can ever read even if you are keeping current, and one of the first things I see is a comment on the main DF page from Threetoe on the sixteenth talking about ceramics and such...

Could someone point me to whatever relevant information there is on this?  What Toady and ThreeToe have talked about regarding ceramics?

I ask because one of the things I love about Dwarf Fortress is how I've actually learned quite a bit about the world and things like geology because of DF.  Also, I believe my very first suggestion thread over in the suggestion board was on ceramics as a way of introducing some new machinery to play with, and in talking about it, a poster named Gazz really opened my eyes to, and made me excited about how ceramics are made.  What Threetoe said seems to imply that Toady actually read this part, and may actually make ceramics based upon what Gazz taught me about ceramics.  Needless to say, I would be utterly psyched to learn that the things I learned in that thread would actually become a part of unmodded gameplay, and I'm a little anxious being worried that maybe they aren't. 

So, could anyone tell me or link me what they know on it?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ceramics?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 02:24:56 am »

Nothing has been said about it yet beyond what's in the devlog.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:30:34 am »

hmm... Thanks, I guess I'll have to go to the FOTF thread and try to get answers from the source, then.

... The FOTF thread is just something that I have trouble reading through, what with it being about 120 pages longer than when I last saw it, and that's an intimidating amount of text to read through, even for me.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:39 am »

Kohaku good to see you again. Anyway if you seek the Answers by toady on FOTF look into the devblog because he links his answerposts there.

from the devblog:
Here are the latest posts I made in the Future of the Fortress thread. 

12/05/10  11/18/10  11/15/10  11/08/10  11/01/10  10/24/10  10/21/10  10/19/10  10/17/10  10/12/10
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:03:34 am »

Yeah, although I think there might have been one since that last one, since there's a 40-page gap after the last one.  I'm trying to catch up on those and the version bugfixes and such as the priorities to know where the game has gone while I wasn't looking. 

Any spectacular new stories or bugs that cropped up in that time, though?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:13 am »

Yeah i missed one post of toady since it wasnt yet on the devblog. Its from the 2nd january. Well i think you missed the animal sponsorship thing but you can check out the "ascii reward stories" that came out of that on the magmawiki. The last talk was on the 8th and the last story by threetoe on the 11th October which could be within you off time which was ~3moths right?

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.