Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack and Magma Forge  (Read 16304 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
DFHack and Magma Forge
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »

I used DFHack to give myself some magma, but I cannot construct a magma forge.  I am sad...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack and Magma Forge
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »

Magma buildings only show up once you make a magma-related discovery - striking a magma pool or the great magma sea.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:00:37 pm »

I used DFHack to give myself some magma, but I cannot construct a magma forge.  I am sad...

Dig down to the magma sea (and wall off the caverns as you find them until you're ready).  Then you'll be able to build all of those buildings and dfhack will work just fine for powering magma workshops.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:54 pm »

Yeah, I figured I had to "discover" it...  And thanks to DFReveal, I see that there's a few, very square pockets of magma above the Carnival, not the Magma Sea I was promised.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:14 pm »

Yeah, I figured I had to "discover" it...  And thanks to DFReveal, I see that there's a few, very square pockets of magma above the Carnival, not the Magma Sea I was promised.
You're using an outdated version, I take it? 40d or before. The great magma sea isn't mistakable for a few pockets of magma, but prior to the update on April 1st, 2010 (the 31.01, or DF2010 as it is sometimes called, update) the great magma sea and the caverns did not exist. Also, running Reveal has been known to completely prevent you from "discovering" magma features, especially in 40d, so I hope you can still unreveal the map.

Also, running Reveal in 40d prevents the funhouse from actually being Fun. It isn't a "carnival" at that point, either; the term circus or carnival was an extension of metaphor from the funhouse, a small place where Fun in the form of "clowns" is found, in 40d to the much larger world-spanning place where Fun in the form of "clowns" is found. Just a bit of DF semantic history :D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »

Or you could embark on a volcano. That works too.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »

I ran reveal and then un-revealed, so I'm -hoping- I didn't screw myself over there...

Also, this is DF2010, and reveal showed me that about half the map was lava at the bottom, with some Cotton Candy veins, but that the other half was just slate and grabbo.  I glossed over the details though, I was just looking for some lava.  Fun is still mostly intact.  Besides, being my first long-lasting fort, this is more of a learning experience than anything.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:19:54 am »

AMAZING 2-YEAR LATE SOLUTION NECRO-BUMP!!!!!!!!
I do this because this was the #1 thread that popped up in a google search for "dfhack magma smelter" when I was trying to find the solution to the same situation as Girlinhat faced, and I now have the solution.  I don't know what commands may or may not have been available in prior versions of dfhack, but here is the method that works for the version bundled with v15 of the Lazy Newb Pack ( DFHack 0.34.07 r1, I believe), and most likely in all future versions.

Using the 'feature' command, type: 'feature list'.
On the resulting list of map-features, look for the entry: ("the subterranean water", type magma_core_from_layer)
Type: 'feature show [whatever the ID number was]', and as far as the game is concerned, you've found the magma sea!

After doing these commands, you should now be able to build Magma Smelters (and kilns and glass furnaces too).  Have fun with your infinite fuel supply (that can somehow elevate materials to a temperature greater than itself, i.e. melting iron/steel/nickel.  Don't ask.).
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »

i have no luck whit it:
[DFHack]# feature list
Feature #0 ("the cave", type subterranean_from_layer) is hidden
[DFHack]# feature show magma_core_from_layer
Feature #0 ("the cave", type subterranean_from_layer) is now discovered

it seems to discover underwater/cave when i ask for magma core
migth be the problem that i do not have a magma level (i do not like them, too randomy so i did not put in the layers of world)
i looked on an other world  (having magma) too and for me it seemed you need to type
feature show 3 (as it was the 4th on the list) and it worked
but i still can not figure out how to enable them on magma less worlds ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »

Wow, I saw Girlinhat's name and thought she was back posting with us again!  Where did she go, anyway?

So that this isn't a total derailment, I wanted to say that I'll be giving this a try myself.  I still haven't mastered magma forges: I can never seem to dig right/position it right.

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »

i have no luck whit it:
[DFHack]# feature list

migth be the problem that i do not have a magma level (i do not like them, too randomy so i did not put in the layers of world)
i looked on an other world  (having magma) too and for me it seemed you need to type
I highlighted the error you made.  The 'feature show' command takes as it's argument the ID number of the feature that you wish to reveal. "magma_core_from_layer" is not an ID number, it's merely part of the name of the Magma Sea.

If, for example, the 'feature list' command shows (among other entries):
Feature #3 ("the subterranean water". type magma_core_from_layer) is hidden
Then
[DFHack]# feature show 3
Will cause the Magma Sea map feature to become revealed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:15:50 pm by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:06:25 am »

i have no luck whit it:
[DFHack]# feature list

I highlighted the error you made.  The 'feature show' command takes as it's argument the ID number of the feature that you wish to reveal. "magma_core_from_layer" is not an ID number, it's merely part of the name of the Magma Sea.

If, for example, the 'feature list' command shows (among other entries):
Feature #3 ("the subterranean water". type magma_core_from_layer) is hidden
Then
[DFHack]# feature show 3
Will cause the Magma Sea map feature to become revealed.

yes i've seen it later, on an other fort where i had them i realized, [i misread type as it would mean type (verb) not type (adjective)]
but the problem is that i have no id related to "magma_core_from_layer" (no magma layer in world gen)
so if feature list shows no magma_core_from_layer; (and this is the case you really need to hack in magma anyway) how can you activate those magma-forges?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:17 am »

If there is no magma on the map, you cannot discover it, so you cannot build magma forges.  They won't appear in the workshop build list unless you discover magma.  (or it's automatically discovered if you embark near a volcano)

Time to find some trees, Mohreb. :)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »

Wow, I saw Girlinhat's name and thought she was back posting with us again!  Where did she go, anyway

Heh, I had the same reaction. I see her around in the "other games" section of the forum. I think she has just taken a hiatus from DF or something. A pity, I use a bunch of her inventions.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?