Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Industrious ghostly fisherdwarf  (Read 10219 times)

folgsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrious ghostly fisherdwarf
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:05:46 pm »

There he stands, victim of the occasional siege, minding his own business and doing what he did best  while still alive: Fishing.

This Forlorn Haunt type of Ghost managed to catch not less than 350 water dwellers. They were marked in his inventory as being hauled.

Unlike the other ghosts i encountered thus far he didn't dissappear, he just drifted along the shore of the small brook, catching fish, mussels and clams.

After putting him to rest the huge stack of raw seafood just fell on the grass.
I think I will build a little Horrorshack around it, so that his engraved slab can be stinked to oblivion by this terrible pile of rotting fish.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:20:28 pm by folgsam »

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
Re: Industrious ghostly fisherdwarf
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:12:02 pm »

Wow.

Why put him to rest? I'd have wanted to know how he reacts to the no-more-fish problem.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

folgsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:18:42 pm »

I suspected him to be the cause of my fatal drop in fps, so I called the exorcist.

Didn't help much though.

I am not sure if brooks can run out of fish, so I assume he would have fished 'till his fish laden pants had reached some kind of hideous sushi-singularity.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:21:38 pm by folgsam »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »

So ghosts can not only be murdered, but perform labors?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:55:58 pm »

Ooh, ghost military anyone?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:06:18 am »

Maybe if you raise a ghosts work ethic enough prior to death?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

So ghosts can not only be murdered, but perform labors?

I thought they never found out how to kill ghosts.

edit: Just stumbled onto a thread saying a berserk dwarf can kill them. Someone needs to do some !!science!! and see if the ghost can come back as a ghost.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:12:36 am by Lagslayer »

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:35:29 am »

I assume he would have fished 'till his fish laden pants had reached some kind of hideous sushi-singularity.

Love it!

If I wasn't opposed to the "sig everything!" philosophy I'd sig that....

Sushi-singularity.  :)

In my next dwarf-fortress life (where I have enough raw computing power to do something) I'll have to experiment with these hard-working ghosts to see what can be done with them.  Will a ghostly Legendary armoursmith keep churning out masterwork steel helms?  Would they be worth more if made by a ghost?  Or would he just possess the forge and keep screwing up the reaction at the last minute... like a never-ending craftdwarf's Hell?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:43:07 am »

This is DF, so he'll take the magma forge, realize that he can't touch his tools, and cause the magma to boil over and kill everything.  It'll be !!FUN!!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:05:11 am »

Hey, I had a dead fisherdwarf a bit like that! During a siege, I saw someone apparently busy fishing by the exposed part of the stream surrounded by walls, and wondering why a fisherdwarf had so blatantly disobeyed the alert and order to drag his sorry midget ass in, I checked. He was carrying fish, too!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 06:32:03 am »

I think they can be killed by fel moods too.
Make your dwarves unhappy to kill ghosts. Of course, this will provide more ghosts, so you will have to keep the dwarves unhappy.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:25:30 am »

You can also get rid of them by putting their corpse, or what is left there of, in a box.

My previous Goblin ambush caused enough casualties that I had something like 25 dwarves left out of a fort of 48, of which only about 3 were functional, so a lot of bodies rotted out there while I was trying to tend to the not yet dead.  (One farmer got left out there for something like a month before there were enough functional, unoccupied dwarves to retrieve him.) 

One of my dead recruits happened to come back as a ghost during my second (and still going) Goblin ambush.  He started wandering the front halls, and I think he's a large part of the reason two of the Goblins are down the door-pit, and I have no idea if they were chasing him, and hit the hammer traps, or if they were running from him and fell in.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 02:18:42 pm »

I have to vote hammer trap here, those are notorious for knocking enemies around.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »

I'm glad to see the community is hard at work trying to weaponize undead slave labor.  :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:14:45 pm »

This is DF.  If it's not weaponized, then the raws aren't tweaked enough.
Pages: [1] 2