Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Player Rewards  (Read 11892 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Player Rewards
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:32:51 am »

So, I was thinking about DF, and it occurs to me that it would be easy to implement some sort of odd player reward system, sort of like the hats in Team Fortress or X-Box trophies. These would be similar to artifacts except earning them would be based on passing certain in-game milestones, like time played, goblins killed, etc. They wouldn't DO anything, they'd just be some neat things you could place in your Fort, and once unlocked, you could have them any fortress.

For example, a statue of Armok could be unlocked after you've killed 500 goblins, you could get a solid Cotton Candy Loving Cup if you log in 500 hours of play, etc. They'd never actually DO anything, but you could place them like furniture. They wouldn't have any dwarfbux value so as not to throw off fort value accounting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:35:38 am by cog disso »
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Player Rewards
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:08 am »

Please no.
Team Fortress 2 is now Commodity Trading Fortress, and achievements are empty and... just empty.
The real reward is !!FUN!!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:55 am »

Getting an awesome artifact is kind of a reward.  :D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:43:13 am »

Dear god no. The emptyness of directed goals is game killing. Suddenly you are no longer trying to harvest mermaids because you can, your doing it untill you get a little 'Achivment unlocked' message.

The Xbox achivments are without question the worst feature of that system.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:44:49 am »

And there are many more important/interesting/!!FUN!!/hilarious things to implement. Achievements are good for stupid, pointless flash games.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:07 am »

Alright, the alternative being some way to PLACE artifacts in a specific location so they can be ogled with pride. I'm tired of having my 350,000 dwarfbuck solid platinum toy boat rot in a Finished Goods Bin for eternity.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

gruevy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:45 am »

I like this idea.  You are basing it on all the wrong things, though.  It shouldn't be unlocked items - you should get them in game in reasonable ways.  Dwarves should automatically mount the heads of forgotten beasts to stick in the dining hall.  They should have a string of elf ears displayed in the barracks.  They should indeed have trophy cases for those fancy artifact crafts.  Basically everything you kill should have some kind of nifty visible reward to stick somewhere.  The mayor should mandate a statue of every dwarf who becomes legendary.  That sort of thing.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:36:19 am »

The mayor should mandate a statue of every dwarf who becomes legendary.  That sort of thing.
What about people who become legendary from makeing statues of legendary people?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »

The mayor should mandate a statue of every dwarf who becomes legendary.  That sort of thing.
What about people who become legendary from makeing statues of legendary people?
That's part of the fun! And now I'm imagine a recursive statue of a person maing a statue of a person making a statue of a person making a staute[...]of a person making a statue of a legendary person
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:01:59 pm »

You know, we've kinda got this long-running thread...

Of course, that's just a joke about things we wished wouldn't happen, and we really don't need to encourage people to try to start embarks that kill off all their dwarves the instant you start the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »

... you could get a solid Cotton Candy Loving Cup if you log in 500 hours of play, etc. ...

People would melt it down! (Unless you meant literally)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:30:15 am »

Let's try a different approach. Why don't we select a panel of judges from the forum (Toady and/or Threetoe's participation desirable but not obligatory) and give awards for things like Best Let's Play, Best Stupid Dwarf Trick, Best Mod etc?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 11:31:58 am »

Time consuming and pointless.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:21 pm »

That's sort of what I was going to say, only hopefully more polite.

Regarding the original suggestion, it's reasonable enough. I think it could add something to the game. But only if they are 1) moddable and 2) removable. That way modders can add rewards that tie in to their own game and people that don't want to deal with them can turn them off.

For the second, there are already contests of the sort. Having Toady / Threetoe in the loop would probably just take up potential dev time though and I'd rather the dev myself. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »

The closest thing to achievements I think should be in the game should be:
1.) Becoming the capital (Check)
2.) Changing the age the world is in (Check)
3.) Discovering cotton candy (Check)
4.) Defecting the clowns and/or taking over the circus (Check, but much harder than it sounds to those who think I'm actually referring to a traveling Big Top Toady One implemented in the last version...although he should implement actual circuses.)
5.) Some way for the game to recognize when you have made a "megaproject," ideally driving up fortress value and drawing in migrants.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5