Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35

Author Topic: Improved Farming, Rebooted: Agricultural Revolution  (Read 139498 times)

Bertinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming, Rebooted: Agricultural Revolution
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »

This is a hellishly complicated solution to something that should not be that hard. There's something to be said for elegance. This is not an elegant solution. It's clunky and wasteful of valuable computing resources, when a lot of the things it proposes are either completely unnecessary or can be much more easily approximated. You're right that people having farms on 4 tiles that can support an entire fortress is stupid. If I remember right, for Dwarf physics with the minecart update, each tile should be around 6 feet by 6 feet. So that's a 12'x12' area to support 200 Dwarves. That's definitely an issue. It's a problem. It's also pretty simple to fix.

Plants grow ridiculously fast in DF currently. It takes around 25-42 days for plants to go from seed to harvest. In real life, crops usually take 120 days or more to grow. Of course, underground crops don't have access to the sun and shouldn't logically exist, so make take twice as long to grow. Suddenly farms have to grow at least 3-5 times larger to have the same output on the surface, and underground crops take 6-10 times as long. Already your plump helmet farm takes up 40 tiles instead of 4. That's with tweaks to the RAWS that anyone could do in a few minutes. The game is just as simple as when it started.

But you're still feeding a fortress on a tiny area with a single Legendary grower. So decrease yields. Right now a quarry bush an a single tile can produce at least 25 food per farming cycle with a legendary grower. That's already ridiculous, but a Legendary grower also takes a fraction of the time to plant seeds. Make it so you don't have plants processed into so much food. If a quarry bush needs to be processed to be edible, make it produce twice as much food instead, since it takes twice as much effort. Make it so Legendary growers produce the same yields as a Dabbling grower, but still plant faster. They'll able to make more food, and it'll require just as much farmland to produce that food. If you have only 2 crops per tile regardless of skill and quarry bushes only give 2 food with processing, suddenly a tile can only give up to 4 food per cycle instead of 25. That 40 tile farm is now 250 tiles, 500 if you're growing plants that don't require processing to eat. Not as big as it needs to be, but we're getting somewhere, and we have changed nothing about the game but the numbers. Everything is otherwise the exact same as it used to be. It's just as simple.

Of course, we're still talking about a pretty small amount of labor. 4-5 Legendary growers in a fortress of 200. Odds are you'll have way more Legendary Craftsdwarves with strange moods alone. So make it more labor intensive. This doesn't have to be anything micromanaged. Make it so when crops are growing, they need to be weeded/deverminized/maintained at certain points. You don't even have to call it anything specific. Just "maintaining crops". Planting and harvesting is 2 labors. If you make it so they need to be maintained once every month-ish, it takes 6 labors to produce a crop instead of 2. If you have underground crops, that's 10 labors. So for an underground farm to feed a fortress of 200, you now have 20-25 Legendary growers and a hell of a lot more growing space.

But things are even trickier than that. Since above ground crops take 120 days to complete and they have a much more limited planting range, your labor will spike considerably. There'll be a lot of very rapid planting in the beginning, medium effort at weeding throughout growth, and then finally a massive spike during harvest to prevent your plants from going to waste. That means a lot of cross-professioned haulers and crafters and other Dwarves ready to go at any time to help out with the growing and harvest efforts. Then you have to have labor lined up to process that food up until the next planting cycle. Grower-plant processors would probably be the easiest solution.

Just make above ground crops require Light instead of Above Ground, and suddenly you have a lot of choice with pretty little effort. Above ground farms take up half the space and use almost half the effort. However, they can only work if uncovered and exposed to the sun. Since they have to be above ground, you have to spend time walling them in. Even then, flying enemies can easily swoop in and use it as an entrance to your fortress. Or if there's an ill-timed ambush, you might find yourself able to lock yourself away in your fortress, but suddenly you don't have access to your food supply. So you go underground. But you quickly find it takes a ridiculous amount of space and labor to grow underground crops. So you're forced to strike a compromise. How big are my underground crop farms? How big are my above ground farms? Will my underground crops just be used to give growers something to do after the harvest, or will they supplement my food source considerably? Will I have a big enough underground farm and enough growers to sustain me in case my above ground crops are lost, or will I have just enough to hold me over until I can retake the surface?

Even then, we could still have a very much simplified and stripped-down variant of your system. Give farms, not each individual tile, a rating. Barren, Poor, Average, Fertile, or Very Fertile. Farms start out on Poor or Average. The lower the soil rating gets, the lower the yield gets. When it reaches Barren, it cannot grow anything and will automatically lay fallow until the Fertility increases. High-value cash crops that lead to happy thoughts and trade money deplete fertility very rapidly. Lower-value crops have less of an impact. Some of them might even help restore fertility. Fertility also slowly regenerates over time, so leaving a field fallow will help out. Because it regenerates, some low-to-mid-value plants might have no impact. But fertility can also be improved by using potash and other fertilizers. In fact, the only way soil can reach "Very Fertile" is with fertilizer; crop selection and letting fields lay fallow can only bring it up to Fertile. Barren wouldn't have a floor to it, so if your field is just barely at Poor and you dump high-value crops on them, it will take the field much longer to get back to Poor.

So you have to think to yourself, on top of the aboveground-underground dilemma, what kind of crops do I grow? Do I grow mostly high-value crops supplemented with a lot of fertilizer, with short-term gains but no sustainability? High-value crops but with low-yields to allow farms to regenerate? A mix, alternating fields year by year? Do I go for lots of low-value crops to save time and effort? What about importing most food and only having a small farming operation, stockpiling and hoping I can survive until more caravans arrive? What if I export it, letting it stockpile when I become sieged? What happens when the food I stockpile starts going bad?

That is my elegant solution. Changing numbers and making minor tweaks, for the most part. Simplifying your suggestion to a much easier, but still deep, solution. Farms take up over 60 times more space and much more effort by changing numbers and introducing weeding. Throw in fertility, and you've got a very simple, but very dynamic farming system that takes a fair bit of labor to keep going. You don't need to keep track of things like how much nitrogen or potassium is in the soil. You can get more or less all of the depth by just giving "Fertility" and making it take more time and labor with none of the unnecessary complexity.

Spoiler: "Additional Thoughts" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:11:52 pm by Bertinator »

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »

@Bertinator.

I don't think you understand. Your sugestion doesn't make farming a constant factor, just a much more annoying task that must be completed before continuing the fort. Also kohaku's posts are ment to be realistic to the point of killing your computer, this isn't really a problem. These ideas are so long term that they require new hardware to be invented. Judging on the current projection for dwarf fortress 1.0's release date, we should have plenty of new hardware.

PS. Trying to be as nice as possible here, you state distain for complex ideas In favor for shorter ones. Quite ironic that you took nine paragraphs to say "hey instead of adding all these compex, intriguing ideas, lets change how long it takes for crops to grow."

Oh almost forgot, I'm not responding to any hate messages they just clutter the thread.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »

I'm still working through your massive post, but something you mentioned earlier on made me think of a way to accomplish your goals that would be pretty simple, both to learn and probably to implement.  The rest of your ideas are probably good too, but I want to put this out there as a simple version:

Starting with your idea of plump helmets requiring a log, a seed, and some water, each plant has its own unique way to be a hassle.  Plump helmets can be reasonably harvested early on, they just take an inordinate amount of manual labor forever.  A particularly aggressive type of vine requires metal trellises.  Dimple cups release poisonous fumes unless ventilated.  Cave rice needs to be in 3/7 water and pollutes the water on harvest.  One per hundred mandrake roots is actually the top of a monster that awakens when someone pulls on his head.  Each ties in to a different dwarven industry that already has its own concerns, like metalworking, siege defense, irrigation, or military (respectively for the above examples).

Add to that the idea of pests being more common the more you use the plant.  Plump helmet pests are relatively benign - they just ruin a portion of your crop.  The other plants have more harmful pests.  Some generate lots of vermin, others generate creatures that eat your other food stocks, still others generate creatures that have an annoying poison, and some might even make tiny bugs that are on fire.

This means an early fort can use plump helmets, which are even easier than they are in current versions.  As the population grows, you need more plump helmets.  When you're growing too many plump helmets, pests kick in.  You need to diversify to two crops, so you pick whichever has the drawback you're most equipped for.  This lasts until your population grows large enough that you can't have just two crops without pests, so you do three.  The population growth forces you into the other industries, and as you near max population you have to start making some hard choices about how to support crops that have requirements completely inappropriate for your surroundings.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 14, 2012, 11:47:39 pm »

as you near max population you have to start making some hard choices about how to support crops that have requirements completely inappropriate for your surroundings.

"Yes, that's right.  We need 400 bushels of cave wheat imported.  Yes yes, costs, costs.  We'll pay.  Very good.  8400 *Stone Mugs* are yours when you deliver."

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2012, 12:23:51 am »

You had me on 'compost goblin corpses'. Do it.

Wow, Kohaku, I'm impressed... very detailed and comprehensive write-up there.

Bertinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:06 am »

Quite ironic that you took nine paragraphs to say

What can I say? I'm passionate about game design and I have way too much time on my hands. So yeah. I can definitely be a long-winded asshole.  :P

@Bertinator.

Also kohaku's posts are ment to be realistic to the point of killing your computer, this isn't really a problem. These ideas are so long term that they require new hardware to be invented. Judging on the current projection for dwarf fortress 1.0's release date, we should have plenty of new hardware.

Except that Dwarf Fortress's demands for CPU power for every other element of the game will also be rising constantly, and much faster. There's also only so much effort Toady can put in. It's not just about improving farming in Dwarf Fortress. It's improving farming but leaving time for everything else.

I don't think you understand. Your sugestion doesn't make farming a constant factor, just a much more annoying task that must be completed before continuing the fort.

PS. Trying to be as nice as possible here, you state distain for complex ideas In favor for shorter ones. Quite ironic that you took nine paragraphs to say "hey instead of adding all these compex, intriguing ideas, lets change how long it takes for crops to grow."

It's not that complexity is bad.

Well, actually, let me revise that. Complexity is an awful, terrible thing that should be taken behind the shed, shot several times, burnt, buried as deep underground as humanly possible, and never spoken of again. Depth is a wonderful, wonderful thing that you can pretty much never get enough of. Complexity inevitably comes with depth, but a lot of times you can strip out the complexity but keep most of the delicious depth. That's what I'm trying to do here. If I came off rude I apologize, but right now things are way too complicated in these ideas. Which doesn't mean the ideas themselves are all terrible. At heart, a lot of them are fantastic. But they could use some cutting down. Some of the things that would add depth add way more complexity than anything else, so should probably be completely rethought.

I also don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you did more than skim over my post. Increasing how long it takes for crops to grow and how much effort it takes are part of my suggestion, sure. But that's because it's the first, easiest step. It takes very little effort but makes a massive difference. Just changing the numbers to something realistic suddenly makes it so farms have to be 50 or 60 times larger to feed a 200-Dwarf fortress and so you need a small army of growers. That's the basics you iron out before you start making revisions to the system that could literally take months to fully implement.

The reason I think you just skimmed it is because you missed everything else I mentioned. You missed the part where above ground crops are significantly easier to grow than underground crops in terms of time and space, but are vulnerable to being cut off in a siege and could endanger your fortress, forcing you to weigh your dependence on them. That's trivial to implement, but it would contribute a hell of a lot to the depth of Dwarf Fortress without adding complexity. You also missed the part where I agreed with his biggest, core idea, but pointed out that it could be done much more simply without losing anything.

What I'm mainly trying to say is that you don't need to have things like the nitrogen content or acidity of the ground. The problem isn't that it's a lot of detail. It's just not intuitive. Not all detail is bad or makes things overly complicated. A lot of it is good for flourish or adding depth. Like the combat system. It goes into way more detail than a hitpoint system, but it's pretty simple to understand at its core because we can relate to it and digest the ideas easily. We know how a human body works. We know that have muscle sliced open or bones shattered are bad. We know that having your intestines spill out is bad. We know that having your brains torn to pieces is very bad. We also know that bruises on your skin are not so bad. It's detail, but it's not hard to understand because we know how it works without having it explained to us.

Not so with soil quality. Knowing how the acidity of a soil relates to its ability to sustain different types of crops isn't something that just pops to us in an instant. Most people that play will not be agricultural scientists and won't be intimately knowledgeable with how farming works. That makes it much harder for people to pick up, since they won't know what anything in the interface means, no matter how well designed it is. If I want to make my farm, I'll have to go on DF Wiki, and look at what all of the stats mean. I will then I have to look at each individual plant I might grow, figure out how it impacts the soil, the short-term benefits and the long-term benefits, cross-check with the soil I have, come up with some farming plans, and then crunch a lot of numbers to make sure I don't turn my landscape into hell on earth. I will probably have to look through half a dozen pages outside of these to get all the information I need, included different guides and suggestions for farming rotations to maintain soil quality. It could literally take hours for me to familiarize myself with it to the point where I can actually be functional with it. It's one thing to read for 5 minutes and know that one plant replenishes hydrogen and another helps with phosphorous. It's another to fully understand and process the information and use it to form a coherent, long-term farming plan and then merge that with the overall plans for my fortress.

Honestly, as a veteran player, that's already intimidating. But think of a new player. When I was new to Dwarf Fortress, just figuring out how farming and irrigation worked, figuring out what the plants did and how to effectively set up a farming industry. It took me several fortresses to master that. We are talking about something that can be set up in less than five minutes by someone who knows what they're doing and then they barely have to think about it again. It is something I would consider myself pants-on-head retarded for not knowing how to do now. It is also something that's intuitive at its core. Everyone knows that dirt + seeds = plants. Yet it was still difficult to get the hang of. Things like NPK, in contrast, are not intuitive and not easy to grasp at all. I don't even know if I heard of NPK before reading this thread, and I don't consider myself especially stupid or unknowledgeable.

Now, right now, as someone experienced with the game, I could probably learn how to do it and get a grasp of it. I could even do it quickly if it was designed well-enough. But if back then something like that were implemented, I would not be able to get it. Not when I was busy trying to figure out one ASCII squiggle from another and trying to figure out how to mine rock and make a workshop and assign bedrooms. I might eventually be able to get it, but it would add even more to an already steep learning curve. If Dwarf Fortress solely consisted of that, it wouldn't be insurmountable. But when, as a new player, you're already being thrown directly into the game with no tutorial, when you already have to learn how to do dozens of things and keystrokes at once and synthesize it all together into making a well-designed fortress, and when you are pretty much guaranteed to go through several fortresses and plenty of hours before you're even competent at the game, it's a little much to ask.

Which is why I suggested simplifying it to "fertility". Fertility is very intuitive. You don't really need to know much about farming to get it. Fertile soil = Crops grow well. Non-fertile soil = Crops don't grow as well. It's quick. It's easy to understand. But it still has decision-making. It still has crop rotations. You still have to not only expand, but evolve your farms as you get a bigger fortress, going from making underground turnips to fields on carefully developed 4-year rotation cycles. You have to figure out things like whether you go almost purely cash crops with a reliance on fertilizer that will eventually run out, or you keep growing underground turnips to keep your fields fertile and easy to manage indefinitely. You still have short term but high value vs long term but low value, simple vs efficient, and all the other things that make his system good. I even added a new underground vs above ground dynamic to his ideas. The only difference is it's made easier and more intuitive for the player. It's either fertile or not. It keeps every last bit of depth, but without the complexity or confusion.

As a final point, I'd also like to add that it makes a hell of a lot more sense to keep it simpler. Dwarves and other medieval fantasy races will have a very good feeling for the land. They will know how to work it and what crops to plant when and what rotations to use, and they're probably fantastic at it. But it's not a scientific knowledge. It's rough and uncertain and intuitive. They don't know about NPK or the details of soil erosion and desertification. They know what works through a combination of passed down knowledge, common sense, and trial-and-error. Since we're taking the role of a Dwarf overseer, it doesn't make much sense to give us details that the Dwarves themselves would not be privy to. You are literally making it more in-depth for the player than it would be for the Dwarf farmers, who probably aren't taking soil samples to their labs to test them for nutrients and acidity.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:47:34 am by Bertinator »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:57 am »

I disagree.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:46 pm »

You see though, I prefer the complexity.  Having to managed multiple factors of each subsystem (farming), balanced against those of others (mining, building, society, etc.) would make for a very powerful simulation. 

Perhaps we disagree on what sort of game DF should be like.  To me, DF is like a fantasy world simulator.  You put your touches on it, make your mark on the world, and watch it adapt or change.  Set it up, watch the dwarves do their thing, build a megaconstruction.  Or just turn the stuff you don't want to handle over to them and the AI fills in the blanks. 

Kind of like a very CPU-expensive interactive screensaver.  =P

EDIT:
To put it more selfishly... I want my polyculture tree farms dammit. 

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 21, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »

I agree that depth is good and complexity is to be avoided.  I think the majority of players would shy away from an overly complex system.  Sid Meier had some advice on this topic:

Do Your Research After The Game Is Done

Many of the most successful games of all time - SimCity, Grand Theft Auto, Civilization, Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Sims - have real-world themes, which broadens their potential audience by building the gameplay around concepts familiar to everyone.

However, creating a game about a real topic can lead to a natural but dangerous tendency to cram the product full of bits of trivia and obscure knowledge to show off the amount of research the designer has done. This tendency spoils the very reason why real-world themes are so valuable - that players come to the game with all the knowledge they already need.

Everybody knows that gunpowder is good for a strong military, that police stations reduce crime, and that carjacking is very illegal. As Sid puts it, "the player shouldn’t have to read the same books the designer has read in order to be able to play."

Games still have great potential to educate, just not in the ways that many educators expect. While designers should still be careful not to include anything factually incorrect, the value of an interactive experience is the interplay of simple concepts, not the inclusion of numerous facts and figures.

Many remember that the world’s earliest civilizations sprang up along river valleys -- the Nile, the Tigris/Euphrates, the Indus -- but nothing gets that concept across as effectively as a few simple rules in Civilization governing which tiles produce the most food during the early stages of agriculture. Furthermore, once the core work is done, research can be a very valuable way to flesh out a game’s depth, perhaps with historical scenarios, flavor text, or graphical details. Just remember that learning a new game is an intimidating experience, so don’t throw away the advantages of an approachable topic by expecting the player to already know all the details when the game starts.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:24 pm »

I agree that depth is good and complexity is to be avoided.  I think the majority of players would shy away from an overly complex system.  Sid Meier had some advice on this topic:

And if you compare to the kind of system we're trying to advocate, it involves only three factors:

1) Water (duh).  Generally we aren't advocating any changes here, either the soil is wet or it is not, as the game currently uses it.
2) Phosphorous (this is the "make plants green" nutrient, not widely known but it's not so obscure as to introduce needless complexity)
2b) alternatively, nitrogen
3) ph level (acidic soil kills stuff, everyone knows this, same with soil that is too far alkaline)

The goal is to allow players to have crop rotation cycles that avoid the need to fertilize the soil (nitrogen fixing plants, etc), but it doesn't force them to go look up how it works in the real world at all.  And if they don't want to bother, they can just use fertilizer.

Plants have a favorite soil type, easily determinable in game (examine the plant/seeds), and the farm will tell you what kind of soil it has (examine it).  As well as easy options to alter the soil (similar to fertilizing, you tell the farmers to e.g. "make the soil more acidic" and they will attempt to do so), if no materials to do it, the game will inform you that you need X or Y, just like any other job.

All of these options allow the player to discover complex solutions, but doesn't needlessly force them into them.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 22, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »

Amen.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 25, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »

* From its eternal slumber, the elder one awakes *

Sorry to have not responded in so long, but I was otherwise occupied for about half a year or so.

First off, I'd like to say one thing about the nature of comments: It is more helpful to me/appreciated to have someone "rude" taking a serious, deep look at what I am saying and respond with something well-reasoned that confronts my ideas than even having someone who merely says they agree, and far more than someone who doesn't bother to engage at all.  (Not that I want to discourage agreeing with me, mind you...)

I am talking about applying more than just a mechanic, but a mindset to this game, and concepts don't evolve unless they are challenged. 

So before anything else is done, I do want to say, "Thank You, Bertinator, I appreciate your taking the time to respond in a manner that shows you really, seriously thought about what you said."

Now, while I certainly don't disagree with anything that Draco has said, I want to try communicating the mindset behind why I said what I said, rather than the simpler information or data.  (In fact, a large reason why my initial manifesto of a post is so long is specifically because I am trying to shift people's viewpoints more than simply giving out facts and information.  And yes, I do recognize you've spent a decent chunk of time explaining your viewpoint, as well.)

With ALL that said, again, I do believe your concerns are valid ones - that's why I've striven to actually try answering those concerns as best I can while still trying to accomplish as much of the goals I want to see fulfilled as possible.  Just because I'm arguing for why I have said what I have already said doesn't mean I'm not still open to constructive criticism, such as what you've already suggested as alternatives.  Again, it's testing of ideas that forces the evolution of those ideas, so by all means poke more holes in what I said. 

Thank you once again for your time in reading and responding, and I hope you would like to continue to point out flaws and concerns - everyone needs a good editor, and I know I could use a little more editing when I tend to get on a roll like this.  By all means, there's probably something in what I've said that can be simplified/abstracted without shortchanging any of the goals.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:08:31 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:03 am »

You can tell these aren't elegant solutions by the amount of text it takes to explain them.

Here's my elegant solution:

* Farm tiles spawn vermin plagues.

Here's the player's expected reaction to it:

* Keep a vermin hunter pet army near the farm. Use food in animal traps hoping to save more food by doing so, and hoping rotting trap meat doesn't make dwarves even angrier.

End.

Where do I collect my check?
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2013, 11:25:16 am »

The things I am explaining aren't all that complicated, it's just that I have to make a huge argument for why they are necessary, and what goals and point of view I am adopting.

It's the difference between data, information, and a point of view: 
Data is a declarative statement simple to convey, but doesn't really tell people much. (If X = 2, Y = 4, or if X = 0, Y = 0)  Data also comes in vast droves, of which the only useful thing is the information you can get from it. I can list a vast number of points on a graph without giving you a clear picture of what the graph actually tells you.

Information is not much harder to convey, can be very short, and is what is most useful, but it's being able to glean it from data that is difficult.  (Y = X2)  With information, you can predict the data for things you don't yet have data on.

A point of view, meanwhile, is that thing that lets you turn data into information.  For the purpose fo the math metaphor I'm using, it's knowing algebra and calculus in the first place.  (It's a familiarity with graphs, it's understanding calculus, and being able to quickly say the rate of change of Y = 2X.)

Unlike those other two, teaching someone calculus is much, much more difficult, and takes far more explanation. 

My post is so huge because I'm explaining why, not what.

This is partially evidenced by the fact that your "elegant solution" can only possibly attempt to solve one of the problems I just outlined in the post before yours as what I was trying to solve. I listed four problems.  (And your solution actually isn't far from the pest portion of what I listed, I simply included a few algorithms to track pest population, modify the odds of infestation by number of crops vulnerable to that pest, rather than be random, and make vermin foiled by simply having some plant or animal nest near your crops.)

EDIT:
I also made a more concise version of the argument for people who don't want to read the whole argument a while ago
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:51:34 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2013, 11:50:44 am »

You can tell these aren't elegant solutions by the amount of text it takes to explain them.

Here's my elegant solution:

* Farm tiles spawn vermin plagues.

Here's the player's expected reaction to it:

* Keep a vermin hunter pet army near the farm. Use food in animal traps hoping to save more food by doing so, and hoping rotting trap meat doesn't make dwarves even angrier.

End.

Where do I collect my check?
You don't. Adding an obstacle to the game doesn't make it fun.

There's depth and complexity. An elegant solution would add depth without complexity. NW_Kohau's suggestion adds depths, and also quite a bit of complexity. Yours add neither. the only thing it does is adding a resemblance of realism and another hassle for the player. After all, a game where one solution is clearly superious isn't a game, but a puzzle. Hence, your idea, where there's only 2 options (Use hunter pets or Die of starvation) isn't all that helpfull.

Oh, and a well thought out and expanded post doesn't say anything about the idea.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35