Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

Author Topic: Improved Farming, Rebooted: Agricultural Revolution  (Read 139181 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming, Rebooted: Agricultural Revolution
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2016, 07:39:27 pm »

Adventurer Mode Concerns
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:01:23 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 09, 2016, 06:38:07 am »

This idea is predicated upon farming being done only on adventurer sites or areas tracked like it, which could restrain the bounds of the interface in the same way that Fortress Mode is restrained to the embark boundaries.  I.E. you have to "own" a defined piece of real estate to start ordering it farmed, and have to be standing in it to open the menus.

I'm a little unclear on this part. Would this include hamlets that the player has gained proprietorship of?

We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:23 pm »

I'm a little unclear on this part. Would this include hamlets that the player has gained proprietorship of?

I'm actually a little surprised to see someone comment to a change made to this thread in relative real time. Thanks for that.

But anyways, yes, I was coming back to edit that to make that part more clear...

Basically, the idea is that any orders given to farm a piece of land, Fortress or Adventurer Mode, would go through the same farming interface.  If you were a mayor or other authority figure, presumably, some farming would be done by the individual initiative of land-owning farmers, but if the player has the authority to give orders on how the land is farmed, that means they use the same interface, including setting up a "farm overseer" to bring the interface up. 

Or put another way, creating a system where you just sort of point at a field and order followers to do stuff would be too vague and micromanage-y a system, so the idea is to turn every order for a different character to farm into nails so that the same hammer can be used upon them.

This would include if your adventurer just claimed a plot of wilderness, and left a follower behind to farm, alone.  Even, hypothetically, setting up a spouse as a farm overseer to keep the lands in order, whether there are hired laborers to help or not. 

Basically, because I'm trying to get both modes to share the same space, that means they both need to play with the same "boundaries", since you don't want to turn into a half-fortress mode where the adventurer can just roam the screen across the world with the power to see through walls.  So if an adventurer claimed a site, then you only get to see to the limits of that adventurer site while in this mode, just like how Fortress Mode doesn't let you designate or even scroll outside your fortress.

A hamlet, as well as fortresses and adventurer sites, use defined areas.  Hence, in a hamlet, the extent of your reach of an order to farm would be the boundaries of the hamlet.  (Of course, thinking of it now, it probably would need to be sub-divided further, just for memory's sake, since a hamlet can be quite large.)

One thing that may cause problems is that hamlets are not necessarily tracked as fully as adventurer sites and fortresses.  (Both have every part of their map saved, entirely.  Hamlets are procedurally generated every time they are loaded, and only changes are saved.  There may need to be a choice if there is enough changes caused by farming controls to simply make a player-controlled hamlet worth turning into a site like a fortress just because enough changes to the fundamental data are expected to make it like a fortress...)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:32:57 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2016, 08:30:48 pm »

Well I read the entire thread I must admit you keeping with a thread for 5 years (plus a little) is very impressive if only the rest forums were as active.....

(the walls are great too I happen to love reading however I read very fast so nothing lasts any amount of time however this lasted for a while thanks!)
I sincerely hope all of your ideas (the fesable ones atleast) are added to the game, would be very cool!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 11, 2016, 12:28:19 am »

Well I read the entire thread I must admit you keeping with a thread for 5 years (plus a little) is very impressive if only the rest forums were as active.....

(the walls are great too I happen to love reading however I read very fast so nothing lasts any amount of time however this lasted for a while thanks!)
I sincerely hope all of your ideas (the fesable ones atleast) are added to the game, would be very cool!

Technically, this is a rewrite of the original thread, which started in 2008, practically at the start of the suggestions forum, although I wasn't involved until 2010.

Also, Toady had previously expressed a desire to try to do most of the basics, but was unsure of how to be able to meaningfully present it to players. Hence, I tried to make the thread have a focus (inasmuch as this thread HAS any focus) on how to set up the interface, and giving it a balance between simulationism for its own sake and strategic gameplay value. The exact details get a bit unwieldy, as I've waffled between a few ideas on specifics mid-writing, but the overarching concept is totally feasible in broad strokes, and I think there's good reason for optimism that a majority of the important stuff will be there. 

I also spent a pretty huge amount of time researching for this thread, and from knowing nearly nothing on the topics, I've come to start gardening a bit just because this thread spurred my interest.  The simple fact that it can drive people to gain an interest in something like this which they never otherwise would have paid attention to will always be what I find Dwarf Fortress's greatest unsung feature.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 11, 2016, 04:54:50 am »