Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: okay, who doesnt savescum?  (Read 7844 times)

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
okay, who doesnt savescum?
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:51:39 am »

I sure do. especially with all the Game Breaking Bugs and such. savescumming seems pretty darn rampant, especially since the game is supposed to be sort of a quasi-rougelike.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: okay, who doesnt savescum?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:08:38 pm »

If I do something especially dumb like unintentional cave ins, I will force quit the game and start from the last seasonal save. Otherwise I just roll with it. Strange mood produces a $1000 crappy amulet with no skill gain, oh well maybe I'll get something better on the next one.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:57 pm »

I only savescum if I decided in advance. e.g. "Lets me just clone this save to see what happens if I let the skeletal moose into my fort" *savescum*.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:36:49 pm »

I only savescum if I decided in advance. e.g. "Lets me just clone this save to see what happens if I let the skeletal moose into my fort" *savescum*.

pretty much the same here. thank god for task manager.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »

Only savescum for bug. Else I roll with it. It's pretty much how it's supposed to be played anyway, even Toady say you should do it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:00:47 pm »

Yeah, I pretty much have to savescum for the bugs, although I have savescummed for things that are only quasi-buglike, such as my mayor going outside in the middle of a seige to talk to a representative through the wall to his office when he was already in his office from the beginning.  (I mean, seriously?!)

But generally, I don't consider it "savescumming" if it's to avoid something that I think really shouldn't be a part of the game to begin with. If I cause a cavein or have some forester get cut down by goblin ambush, that's something I roll with.

That said, I have occasionally savescummed in the past regarding a new dwarf's birth, just to play around with what traits (and gender) the kiddo would be born with, or other, similar things just to experiment.

When you really get right down to it, savescumming was "scummy" in Roguelikes because Roguelikes were all about chance and having to take risks without knowing their consequences until after you'd committed yourself.  The fear of the risks you are taking was a key part of what made the game "fun" and interesting, which gets killed if you can just save, check and see if your food will give you food poisoning or not by just eating it and seeing if you die, then reloading if you did. 

DF isn't like that (at least, not fortress mode) since it's more about what you can create using the digging and building designations and the physics system.  In DF, survival is all about mitigating risks to the greatest degree you possibly can through foresight.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

seems im the first that doesn't. rarely had any bugs kicked in and i never noticed them so no savescumming for me.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

I never do it. I try to be careful about my doings instead.
"It's unpossible!"

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:01 pm »

I don't do it, but to be honest it's not out of some sense of digital chivalry.  I'm too lazy to do it, and too lazy to even figure out how to do it.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:43:31 pm »

I used to save-scum when I needed every dwarf I got to fight off kobolds.

Now I just realize if one dies, another will take his place.  ::)

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »

Bluh.  Save-scumming shouldn't be a generalized term for loading an old saved game.  I've done it several times due to bugs, but never to cover up mistakes.  Perfect forts are so utterly boring.  If my dwarves aren't starving, thirsty, dying from disease, or being mutilated by cave creatures, I'm doing something wrong. :/
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:58:01 pm »

I don't.

"Losing is fun."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:38 pm »

I sure do not. I think it takes away from the riskiness of the game. I have lost many a good fort, and I like it that way.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:12 pm »

I only do it when some mistake I made leads to a complete and total failure of my fortress.  Since I don't turn on seasonal or yearly saving, a single game abort can undo a full year or more worth of work on a fortress, so most of the time it's not worth it to me.  I just let things fall however they might.  Not having the game play out perfectly leads to much more interesting stories and is ultimately more satisfying to play.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:19 pm »

I don't savescum, but I don't plan for mistakes either. Spontaneity makes the most Fun forts :3
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5