Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Censor MY Let's Play, will ya?  (Read 10294 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Censor MY Let's Play, will ya?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 07:32:48 am »

My LP is in my sig, actually.

I think those examples feel a little "off" with the rhythmic placement of "freaking" and "fucking" in their section of the sentence, but I also feel that "A dragon! Run for your lives!" really lacks dramatic impact.

That's pretty much what I think. Stopping yourself so you don't make a mom cover their kid's ears makes you seem a lot less concerned about what you're trying to express than you want to be.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:54 am »

My LP is in my sig, actually.

So it is. Reading through it now.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 07:45:15 pm »

OH CARP!

AMPERSAND! (alternatively, just &)

CAT! SCAMP!

Overall grade of discussion on the usage of profanity on forums/life: Meh.

Now back to the original topic, we must create a collection of suitably dwarven curses based upon the very nature of both dwarves and the player community! Otherwise, creating the game's log as a dwarf would not be accurate as the standard English curses do not exist in the language files (sadly, neither does carp).

Bonus points if someone does Double A or someone else does the entirety of the game log of an LP or succession game in dwarven and approiate dialog languages for liasons/invaders. Also, has anyone ever created a translation program for the dwarven language? (i.e. type in phrase, get back dwarf)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 04:31:47 pm »

Spring 1051.
It looks like you were deliberately careful of your profanity. Some of it was funny, but (to me anyway) it started to get old before you even struck the dirt. Still, this is now the character of ‘Double A’ Nĺzomzefon, and nothing was out of place.

Summer 1051.
Here now ‘Double A’ Nĺzomzefon suddenly seems to become a new person, or maybe he only starts writing in his journals when he is pissed and calms down afterward. Either way, the profanity at the top looks out of place. By the middle, my opinion of ‘Double A’ Nĺzomzefon turns into viewing him as a Dwarfophile. Viewing him like that, the profanity he uses for the rest of Summer makes sense.

Autumn 1051.
‘Double A’ Nĺzomzefon has gone back to the first dwarf. Very little profanity but it all fit.

Winter 1051.
What was there was fitting.

In conclusion:
The summer post stands out as a odd duck. I'm betting the Summer was the one the moderators had a problem with too. I suggest for your next LP, take down the entire thing in one shot as tons and tons of notes and screenshots, then take your notes and change it from the perspective of a single dwarf.

Profanity being out of place is more likely to attract a Moderator's attention. If it all fits and seems natural, moderators might not even see it.
Creating dwarf cursewords won't fix that.

Still, here are dwarf words representing the most common of your replacements.
Name:Repacement-Translation
Damn:mothramtustzal -Malign Curse (Curse+Malign{adj}{could be curse with/of the malign. It's the best match I could think of})
Freaking:matulurol -DancingClose (Meh. Probably could do better)
Hell:shash-Hell
Pissing:odthistenkos-PissTaking (Piss is a noun. Taker can be a verb, as used here)
Sodding:berrít-EarthCuts
Idiot:cabnul-Fool
Dwarfgasm:dorfshecedbol-DorfCarnalGrow (Orgasm seems to mean swelling. Couldn't think of something better.)
Crappy:gúrsoběr-BowelRelease
Crappy(Alternate):agakân-AnusClod
Crappy(Alternate):agaksoběr-AnusRelease
Retarded:othob-Stupid
DumbAsses:othobnuggad-StupidDonkey
DumbElfs:othobelf
Bastard:nasuremtilat-UnFatherChild

For some of the others:
Guess:shezrôdöntak-CrotchArm
Guess:gunlel-Rape
Guess:gesithgunlel-IncestRape

The Dwarf Language files are saved in code page 437 encoding.
Language_words explains how to check for verbs and alternate forms.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

Yeah, I did those updates over 4 days, which is why they were all a bit different. Thanks for the advice on that, and for the words.

Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]