Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: okay, who doesnt savescum?  (Read 7843 times)

Bobinater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: okay, who doesnt savescum?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 02:51:15 am »

I always forget to turn on seasonal auto saves and since regular saving requires quiting I don't save often enough to make save scumming for anything really worth it.  If i had an available save i would probably save scum all the time but now I either classify a mistake as serious enough to abandon or small enough to play through. 

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 03:36:57 am »

I never did...and probably never will..

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 06:00:24 am »

I'm another roguelike player so I tend towards the view that savescumming=bad. I have occasionally savescummed, most recently when I had a moody dorf making an adamantine weapon and I just could not face getting another artifact hammer. I also savescummed to make sure a masterwork platinum door got decorated with masterwork star ruby since there were no natural valuable gems on my map, I bought that star ruby from the caravan.

Yeah mainly I just abandon and regen when I make a mistake. I'm really bad about that. I recently emptied about a gig of "region1" folders from my reycle bin :s
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 02:51:07 pm »

If I do something especially dumb like unintentional cave ins, I will force quit the game and start from the last seasonal save. Otherwise I just roll with it. Strange mood produces a $1000 crappy amulet with no skill gain, oh well maybe I'll get something better on the next one.

Same here, really.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »

Sometimes I savescum for stupid deaths, like one of my favourites going outside for no reason just as I order the bridge to be raised, or drowning dwarves while trying to practice their swimming, but not the time I forgot to turn care of the wounded back on after everybody became Elite military. I don't bother with moods. I don't even care what they pick up most of the time. Lead high boot from a possession? Whatever, get back to work and stop bugging me.

If I played for keeps I might scum less often, but I like seeing what stuff does. Disasters and deaths are annoying distractions.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 08:42:40 pm »

I do all the time in adventure mode, but not so much in fortress mode.
I do in adv mode because I get attached to my guy, and don't want to see him get one shotted by a goat, when he's killed seven dragons, about a million bandits, and the entire elven race.
Well, you can't really make elves extinct in .31.18, but you get my point.
The last time I save scummed in fortress mode was in the beginning of my Fortress Defense Mod fort, when half of a mountain crushed all but one of my dwarves, and he was severely wounded, and bleeding out.
I don't count the bug where my escape key doesn't work a save scum, even though it has the same procedure.
And I know it's a bug because I'd try to run DF a few times, and the escape key doesn't work, so I go off to play Dawn of War or something, and the escape key works, then I go back to DF, and it's broken again.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 09:07:46 pm »

I don't, though i think it's cuz i don't know how...

Tzusch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »

guilty

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:12 am »

I don't savescum. Why would I?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 02:41:30 am »

Urist McPossessedArmorer has created Delerurist, an adamantine shoe!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:39 pm »

I've had to due to random crashes, but I don't consider it cheap in DF anyway since the game is utterly what you make it. It allows you to playtest failed ideas, saving IRL time. It would be silly to save-scum to try and keep a fortress going forever, but otherwise it's just another tool in your extensive vomit-covered box.

My rule is: no save-scumming for drama. No matter how disadvantageous X event was, if it would make a good story then save-scumming would be destroying a precious work of disaster.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 08:07:55 pm »

I savescum every time I get ambushed or besieged. But that's because my military is made of incompetent slobs and I still haven't enough wooden spears for a danger room.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:17 am »

I savescum every time I get ambushed or besieged. But that's because my military is made of incompetent slobs and I still haven't enough wooden spears for a danger room.
Pfft, military? Just cloister behind some cage traps. Using traps to fight your battles may not be too dwarfy, but building a deathtrap dungeon and setting your 57 goblins loose in it is too fun to pass up.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 12:47:09 pm »

I save scummed in my first 3-4 forts when still learning to play.  I wanted to continue playing and try things differently without having to attempt to recreate situations similar again in a time consuming laboureous process.  Now I absolutely refuse to savescum unless hit on the head with a bug.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »

Some of those bugs from 31.01 really made me have to be careful about making plenty of backup saves.  What was it, again, fats or something that caused the game to crash if you scrolled past them in the stocks screen?

I also like to have the rolling backup saves for the purposes of letting me track my progress as a fort.  I tend to keep seasonal saves for my first two years, when I'm really aggressively expanding, and yearly saves thereafter.  When you get one of those zoomed-out shots of some of your most major z-levels, and see the expansion of a cross section of your fortress over time, it's a pretty cool effect. ("Ah, that's when I dug the tunnel for my magma pump stack.  Did I really get all that done in one season?")

But I guess there should be more difference between the words "save" and "savescum".  I'm not doing any of that to "cheat", I'm not constantly reloading to get a better random die roll or correct some mistake in causing a cave in, so I guess in that sense, I'm "no, never will I savescum", but I don't make up some big absolute about it that I can proudly announce.  I do like to occasionally re-roll some dwarves, though.  Especially my starting seven, before I embark (does restarting count as "Savescumming", anyway?), so that I can get a set of personality traits that I kind of like.

To a certain extent, though, I think the difference between some of these "never savescum" people and the "yeah, to get some things I have to get right" people can come down to whether they are people who play for survival and who don't care about individual dwarves at all and don't bother to grow anything but plump helmets and maybe slaughter some animals, and the people who play for doing everything and setting up the "perfect fortress", however they define it. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5