Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: okay, who doesnt savescum?  (Read 7828 times)

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
Re: okay, who doesnt savescum?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:58 pm »

I never savescum.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 08:53:56 am »

I don't.

"Losing is fun."
I don't really play that much anymore, though.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 09:26:34 am »

I used to savescumm and play with mayday tileset. I dwarfd up and put both in the past.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »

I savescum only for story purposes. Visiting the HFS and a demon pops up and blasts a tightly-packed room with 15 legendary axedorfs, swordsdorfs, and crossbowdorfs, melting them and causing a fortress-wide tantrum spiral? No savescum, because that was me being stupid. I get a limestone ring and a wooden ring as artifacts and the fey metalcrafter produces an idol? Savescum repeatedly, because it'd be badass to have 3 artifact rings, one of each major material type.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 01:11:28 pm »

I get a limestone ring and a wooden ring as artifacts and the fey metalcrafter produces an idol? Savescum repeatedly, because it'd be badass to have 3 artifact rings, one of each major material type.

You would still need four more, for all the dwarf lords.

I never used to savescum, but i do play with a tileset (it's a sin?)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »

If it were a sin, we'd have a flood of sinners playing DF.

DF supports graphics for a reason, and the more people who can find DF accessable, the more donations Toady will get, and the better the prospects for DF as a whole to continue, but people who have played ASCII games for years enjoy the sense that it puts them in a more exclusive "ASCII gamers club".

I often play with ACII graphics, unless I want to update my own custom tileset and use it with personal mods, but while some people like to brag about playing it "oldschool", there's nothing wrong with grahpics packs if that's what it takes to enjoy the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »

If it were a sin, we'd have a flood of sinners playing DF.

DF supports graphics for a reason, and the more people who can find DF accessable, the more donations Toady will get, and the better the prospects for DF as a whole to continue, but people who have played ASCII games for years enjoy the sense that it puts them in a more exclusive "ASCII gamers club".

Ofcourse, i was just goofing around about the 'sin', good sir.
I play with a tileset because otherwise i wouldn't be able to play DF for more than an hour (i'd have a fey mood) and it's my choice alone ;)

But you would be surprised how many people will.. freak out on you when they hear that you don't run ASCII and go berserk. By berserk i mean trollish posts with lot's of swearing.

Ahoy!
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:42 pm »

I do it if I find a really cool embark spot so I can try different fortress designs. But not once the fortress gets going.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »

I enjoy the Dwarf Fortress - sponsored learning style which can be summarized as:

"Why are dwarves dying all of a sudden? It's winter, but they are inside and have food and... oh... the water froze? The booze is GONE? How did THAT hap... WAIT CARAVAN DON'T LEAVE!"

Your skill in stocking up on booze have increased (150)

If my plan worked I might as well just keep imagining it and not play the game ;)
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Iburnaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:54 am »

I've never actually thought about save scumming. The way I play is that eventually something comes that my no army style can't handle and is entirely immune from my weapon traps and I haven't yet set up magma traps sooo, BOOM.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 12:11:03 pm »

I don't savescum.

But I have done it before. A long time ago.
Back in 40d. I was really attached to my dwarfs back then.
My fort, Libadbim, had survived for half a year. One of my favorite dwarfs died.
I did the only thing I could to bring him back.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 12:24:30 pm »

Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »

I don't do it.
That is not the point of this game.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »

Whenever something happens of a sufficient irritation threshold, I usually abandon the fort, but if I like the fort and think I could save it, then I'll load an older save. Let's face it, as fun as building a new fort can be, you end up doing it over and over again and it can get stale. Losing might be fun, but if you do something that's just going to give you seven hours of headache, that's not fun at all.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »

Whenever something happens of a sufficient irritation threshold, I usually abandon the fort, but if I like the fort and think I could save it, then I'll load an older save. Let's face it, as fun as building a new fort can be, you end up doing it over and over again and it can get stale. Losing might be fun, but if you do something that's just going to give you seven hours of headache, that's not fun at all.

This is pretty much exactly my views on it, namely with Adventure mode- I was hardcore about not savescumming until I had to keep rerolling Adventurers due to really stupid circumstances (like this weird issue where my uninjured, fully conscious travelling companion would just vanish, and I wouldn't notice till a creature of the night came to stab me through the head). It wasn't so bad at first, but then it just got boring to have to keep finding enough monsters to get my reputation up to appease the leader to give me more. I'd much rather keep my adventurer with high reputation until he gets struck down in a badass fight- not punched to death by bogeymen because my companion skipped off back home unannounced.
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5