Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: okay, who doesnt savescum?  (Read 7819 times)

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: okay, who doesnt savescum?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »

I only savescum in adventure mode, and I don't do it very often at that.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »

I save scum for testing, bugs, and things that are excessively annoying.

The latter category being like getting sieges while cleaning up after previous sieges. Having my dwarves all die because my map needs to look less messy isn't really "losing is fun" but more "losing is fucking annoying".

The tantrum spiral that kills almost everyone is certainly acceptable to play through, but the annoying bullshit isn't.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 05:40:30 pm »

I don't Savescum but that is because I don't really have the time, nor do I feel that I particularly need to.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2011, 11:49:47 pm »

I save scum for testing, bugs, and things that are excessively annoying.

The latter category being like getting sieges while cleaning up after previous sieges. Having my dwarves all die because my map needs to look less messy isn't really "losing is fun" but more "losing is fucking annoying".

The tantrum spiral that kills almost everyone is certainly acceptable to play through, but the annoying bullshit isn't.

Once I realised that this basically boiled down to "I savescum when my OCD kills the dwarves but I don't when theirs kills them" I cracked up.

Not criticizing your playstyle, just found that very funny :)
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 11:44:40 am »

I play specifically for that dreadful event to spiral into chaos and either end me or drive me to abandon and start over.  I also don't make huge constructions or do much that won't be entirely different in the next embark (due to, e.g., total biome shifts, vertical vs. horizontal setups, workshop and stockpile organization, yadda).

It's like, the endgame.  Level 60 70 80 85.  I'm aiming for success, of course, but also indirectly at losing that success.

I suppose if I was committed to always doing things a certain way, or creating not-easily-rebuilt structures, I'd scum it.  The personal benefits of playing "dangerously" kind of outweigh the value of a few dozen rooms and tunnels to me, though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]